AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccuEQ Vs Audyssey

165K views 2K replies 108 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 ·
I still cant find any technical comparisons between the two, has there been anything published?

#3 ·
#7 ·
This is a great and valid thread as it would appear the only item in question with the new onkyos and integras is indeed the proprietary room eq- I won't comment on hdmi reliability.

Else it really looks like they have some very nicely equipped models- even running an input with HDCP 2.2 for that one 4K source 1% may have in the next 3 years. :p

Anyone know more on AccuEQ?

Grazie.

James

#59 ·
Well...

Depends upon the enthusiast; I, for one, prefer less to "tinker" with whether it's a TV or piece of audio gear (in this case, an AVR)...I don't use Audyssey on my Onkyo 605 nor do I run it with EQ, instead preferring to dial in all my parameters manually (crossovers, distances, trims) and actually hearing my speakers for what they are (sans room correction/equalization algorithms).

This brings me to something else someone said in here...

#14 ·
But that's still a cost-driven decision. Adding the necessary DSP horsepower would have forced up the price of their Atmos-capable equipment. Denon decided to take that hit. Onkyo decided not to.

#60 ·
It's more than "better than nothing" -- for many of us, setting parameters manually is part of being a home theater enthusiast (i.e. not "relying" on "auto setup" routines) and some of us actually prefer it this way...that is, setting gain, distance and crossovers by ourselves and leaving EQ out of the equation.

#31 ·
I am told by a dealer friend that Onkyo 818's with Audyssey XT32 "flew off the shelves". Its successor, the 828, which had plain old Audyssey MultEQ is "stacked high in the warehouses". Seems people do appreciate XT32 in a unit...

#33 · (Edited)
Well after 2 Onkyos it looks like I will be going with separates next I believe. I'm going to get an amp next spring and then see what is out there as far as a pre-pro is concerned. Too many changes going on to invest into another avr for me.

#34 ·
Well after 2 Onkyos it looks like I will be going with separates next I believe. I'm going to get an amp nest spring and then see what is out there as far as a pre-pro is concerned. Too many changes going on to invest into another avr for me.
It'll be much less expensive for you to buy an AVR with preouts and use that with external amps than to buy a processor. I already have amps for all my channels and I am going with the Denon X4100W when it is available. It will do 5.1.4 (7 internal amps + an external 2ch amp for those wanting to use it that way) which is all I need. If I needed more then the X5200W would be my choice. XT32 plus Audyssey Pro ready. Reliable make. Great AVS support.

Onkyo lost me (after 4 units) when they adopted AccuEQ.

#47 ·
After being a loyal Onkyo supporter with 6 Receivers and Processors over the years, they have lost me as a customer as well with their decision to go with their AccuEQ. The question will be what to replace it with, Denon or Marantz, Receiver or Processor, since I already have power amps. Patience might be the smart move on this front I think.

#55 ·
The 3010 is my first Onkyo ever - and I rather like it. I had a Denon 3808 die a horrible CPU board death, replaced it (temporarily) with a Pioneer VSX-1120 when it died (good AVR, but too limited for me - it is now my emergency backup AVR). Before the Denon was a myriad of other brands. I do like the Onkyo, but if the new room correction software does as little as it sounds, I will be back to Denon again for my next one.

#62 · (Edited)
1. Prices of AVRs vs SSPs: It's all relative; some great flagship receivers were $6,000+ (Arcam, Lexicon, Denon), and some great pre/pros (SSPs) were from $400 to $1,000 (Emotiva, Onkyo, Outlaw, ...).
- Even today some AV receivers cost over $3,000 and some SSPs cost less than $2,000

2. Regarding AccuEQ vs Audyssey: With Dolby Atmos & Audyssey MultEQ XT32 inside a unit, you need three or four DSP chips.
With AccuEQ and Dolbly Atmos inside a unit, you need two or three DSP chips.

* Denon/Marantz AV receivers and SSPs won't be available till later on; seems they need more time to integrate properly these two technologies together in harmony with each other.

** Onkyo/Integra seems to be ready quicker with a simpler solution from AccuEQ where they've been @ it in experimenting and implementing them together (AccuEQ with Dolby Atmos).

If Onkyo/Integra are releasing their AVRs and SSPs before Denon/Marantz; they obviously aim @ gaining market share. It is a smart strategy.

And from there the future will determine their next step; possibly by reintegrating Audyssey MultEQ XT32 in their higher end products.

If I was in that business, the Onkyo/Integra strategy would be one I'd certainly adopt.

This is now, and we don't have them products just yet, and so our exposure is extremely limited to only few demonstrations heard by very few people who shared them with us here. ...And I believe Onkyo was one of the AVR or SSP used to demo those Dolby Atmos experiments. ..And Pioneer is also pushing like Onkyo on the Dolby Atmos speakers front.

For some of us who have experience with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, it is tough to digest that the front channels (and sub channel?) won't receive any EQ from AccuEQ. That, doesn't ring right @ all because we all know that inside our rooms all our speakers need some smart equalization, and particularly our two front mains, and the subwoofer channel. The room is not what the sound masterminds intended us to hear, so it has to be neutral, short of acoustic room treatments.

The new Dolby Atmos speakers rely on new dispersion patterns and reflections from the ceiling to be effective at their best. ...And there is more happening with Dolby Atmos, and all 'objects' are delivered all around, not just from overhead. It's a new ball game, and requires smart implementation with them EQ systems we are used to.
And with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 some new adjustments are required indeed; x-overs, phase, how to EQ reflections, and tra-la-la...
With AccuEQ Onkyo/Integra adopted a simpler system that would allow them to release their products faster with less issues, I think.
And nothing will stop them to readjust later on, if they see the need to; financially speaking. ...Because even if most of us here are concern about getting the best and smartest surround sound experience, these manufacturers are into the business of making money first, then sound quality second, I think.

So, it is up to us, when we'll get them new Dolby Atmos products in our homes, to determine which ones have the best performance sound wise, and value ($) wise. That'll take some time to experiment ourselves with the best solutions, and which manufacturers had done the best job of implementing them all together (Dolby Atmos, Auto Room Calibration & EQ system, DSP chips, DACs, tra-la-la...).

But yes, time is needed right now. ...Because me I want Dolby Atmos working perfectly with Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
And, a parametric EQ is always a good think(g); Pioneer, Yamaha, Emotiva (XMC-1 with Dirac Live LE eventually).

It's fun to talk about all that stuff; from speculating, thinking smartly, and from a business strategy viewpoint...

That's my view; a simple opinion without making any statement, and based on no factual facts. ...No data.

#68 ·
you are mixing flagship products with non-flagship products in your first point

someone who was looking at Lexicon, Arcam and I will add Anthem and Krell in regard to SSP is probably not looking at anything asian...sans maybe the Denon AVP
Even then thats sketchy. I recall a local high end stereo shop saying the reason they would not bring in a Denon AVP ( and would bring in Anthem and Krell units) is because his buyers that were shopping those units weren't interested in the Denon AVP
Conversely his Integra buyers weren't interested( or couldn't afford) the Denon AVP

I do agree with your point about Onkyo putting out the low midrange line with atmos

Its frankly probably the point in the product line with the Asians manufacturers where the volume is
So...all you have to do is meet that customer expectation and price point

Warren

#78 ·
Your loss...:p

#85 ·
IntelliVolume, get a mic stand with boom ($15 @ Amazon).

Next, save some money and upgrade your receiver (Audyssey 2EQ is not EQuing the most important audio frequencies; the bass from your Sub/LFE channel) with one that has @ least Audyssey MultEQ (minimum), and XT better, and XT32 best (Onkyo 818).

* Look @ some Denon receiver models perhaps, Marantz, next year, with Dolby Atmos too.
If not with Dolby Atmos then you'll find some deals with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 equipped receivers. ...Someone who has the 818 for sale because he is upgrading to Dolby Atmos, the 929, Denons, ...

I guaranty you a better listening experience from upgrading your 2EQ equipped receiver to one equipped with XT or XT32. ...For both multichannel and stereo audio; movies and stereo music.

And I hope you do have a sub?

#102 ·
IntelliVolume, get a mic stand with boom ($15 @ Amazon).

I can, but I'd rather spend the money on another Blu-ray title.

Next, save some money and upgrade your receiver (Audyssey 2EQ is not EQuing the most important audio frequencies; the bass from your Sub/LFE channel) with one that has @ least Audyssey MultEQ (minimum), and XT better, and XT32 best (Onkyo 818).

* Look @ some Denon receiver models perhaps, Marantz, next year, with Dolby Atmos too.
If not with Dolby Atmos then you'll find some deals with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 equipped receivers. ...Someone who has the 818 for sale because he is upgrading to Dolby Atmos, the 929, Denons, ...

I guaranty you a better listening experience from upgrading your 2EQ equipped receiver to one equipped with XT or XT32. ...For both multichannel and stereo audio; movies and stereo music.

A couple of things here, Bob -- first, I don't know what to make at all, right now, of Dolby's ATMOS. Second, I don't want to buy a new AVR based on room correction technologies that may best the 2EQ of my 605 because what I would be after is more raw power, not sophisticated processing modes (I like to keep things more simple). Third, this system isn't used for two channel that much, if at all (I have a separate dedicated stereo setup in another room).

And I hope you do have a sub?

Oh, come on, Mr. One Ring to Rule Them All...don't you remember suggesting to me that I make sure my LPF of LFE in my 605 is set to 120Hz, my phase switch is flipped to 0 and my sub's crossover knob is all the way up (or set to BYPASS, if possible, as you said it)?

#87 ·
I personally find the best results are when EQ is applied to the bass only to get rid of the serious room responses. I find it makes the sound more artificial sounding when you get into mid/high frequencies with EQ (I have tried Audyssey XT32, Audyssey XT32 Pro, Dirac Live Trial), there is slightly more detail as more frequencies are more prominent, but it no longer sounds like the band is playing in front of me. When I went to using a 5 band PEQ and doing the filters myself it worked a lot better.

I am getting an Anthem MRX 310 for the multichannel side of things and I am going to experiment with the max frequency on ARC to see what gets me the best results.

#90 · (Edited)
Good post Tom. Pioneer and Yamaha use parametric equalizers in their AV receivers, and some subwoofers are also equipped with a five-band or so PEQ.

And good point too with Anthem with ARC, and from which you have more fine control over with the help of software in your computer/laptop.

Methinks that Onkyo should have put a PEQ in all their receivers, and for all channels, and down to 20Hz in the LFE channel, and all the other channels too (from 5.1 receivers to 13.4 ones).
Then perhaps some of us would be happier, instead of AccuEQ which does not EQ the two front mains and sub/LFE channel.

PEQ (Pioneer & Yamaha) and ARC generation 2 and 3 (Anthem) are great alternatives to Audyssey, if not better.

Pioneer also happens that they are coming up with Dolby Atmos equipped receivers; in tandem with their PEQ it should rock the joint.

And Yamaha the same.

But Anthem is not yet on that bandwagon; probably don't matter anyway. Dolby Atmos is not all end to all ends.
- Kal (Rubinson) said it best before; he won't be shedding tears, ...from overhead. ;)

#92 ·
lol if you think my sig is serious... $140,000 in amplifiers with Bose Jewels. I think I'll just use subwoofer EQ, can't be bothered change av pre-stereo pre just to get EQ which I may not like.

antimode 8033 cinema on the ht, might pickup another cinema or a S-II for the hifi.

#93 ·
I thought it was a pretty good joke...

But Anthem is not yet on that bandwagon; probably don't matter anyway. Dolby Atmos is not all end to all ends.
- Kal (Rubinson) said it best before; he won't be shedding tears, ...from overhead. ;)
I aren't too fussed about Atmos for now, I haven't got room for highs and I don't think B&W will be making upward firing speakers for the 800 series anytime soon!

AccuEQ not doing the fronts would suit me as I would just run them straight into the CP800 and that would apply the EQ I have set for stereo listening. I wish my 818 would skip the EQ on the fronts so I can do the same (like Marantz do on the 8801 I used to own before I needed money to buy speakers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.