Is it normal to experience reduced audio quality on VUDU HDX? (Denon 2112 here!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Is it normal to experience reduced audio quality on VUDU HDX? (Denon 2112 here!)

So I'm trying to figure out if my experience with VUDU HDX was atypical or the norm when all of my movie watching thus far has been Blu Ray.

We had some friends over last night and wanted to watch Lone Survivor. I typically run up to Redbox and rent a Blu Ray, but Redbox has yet to release this movie. I decided to try out Vudu for the first time since I could rent the movie on there from my Blu Ray player. My internet speed is around 35 mpbs so I was able to stream in the highest quality (HDX, or 1080p). The picture quality seemed pretty on par with a Blu Ray, but what frustrated my was the sound...

I noticed immediately that the dialogue needed to be turned up substantially in order for it to be audible. I usually have my Denon 2112 set to around 58 for volume, but I found myself turning it up to 68-69 in order for the sound to fill the room. It just didn't seem to pack that punch that blu rays have delivered. Surround effects were great, however. Dialogue improved with increasing the volume, but my biggest gripe was low frequency bass...

Now, I don't know if it's the movie itself because I have yet to watch it on Blu Ray, but low frequency just wasn't really there. A few rumbles here and there, but explosions and such didn't seem to make much of an impact. I'm guessing there is some compression going on with the movie due to streaming, and I'm sure it's not lossless sound, but I just want to hear people's thoughts on the matter.

My receiver typically auto detects the Blu Ray and goes to "Multi-Channel In" which from what I've read is detecting PCM and is lossless. The receiver didn't change to anything when streaming from my Blu Ray player and my options were that of "PL II Cinema, Stereo, Multi Channel Stereo, Pro Logic, etc etc...".

So, was my experience normal in that streaming from VUDU, even if streaming the highest quality, delivered a subpar experience than from a Blu Ray? I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out. If anyone can weigh in on information, experience, thoughts, whatever, It'd be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page