Anyone still uses the analog (RCA) audio out of new TVs? Or is it already dead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By M Code

post #1 of 21 Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone still uses the analog (RCA) audio out of new TVs? Or is it already dead?

I finally joined the 21st century and bought a decent LED TV, a 42" inch 2014 M-series Vizio. Since it has analog audio outputs, I kept my old stereo receiver in place for now and hooked up the TV to it through its analog outputs. Now every time I turn the TV on or off, it makes a loud pop, which will no doubt eventually damage my tweeters.

Either there is something wrong with the TV, or more likely, the manufacturer assumed that since almost no one cares about the RCA outs, they basically used the cheapest crap possible for it. My old TV didn't do this. Vizio probably saves a few pennies by skimping on circuit that supresses transients when power is switched on or off. The TV performs very well otherwise, but this reeks of such cheapness that it makes me wonder about the innards in general. I assume the digital out won't do this, and I will soon test it with my DAC when I get a chance.

But am I basically a dinosaur for even using the RCA outs?

Last edited by audiosanity; 07-01-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
TV's should still have RCA out, if I route analogue audio to the TV, I could then use external speakers to upgrade sound (ie when using built in decoder or if all audio is routed to TV through SCART/RGB)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
The vast majority likely use the optical audio out from the TV to the receiver, although you may want to program a delay before powering on the receiver (eg. Harmony remote).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The sound quality difference in optical out versus analog is worth using the optical especially since almost everything out there is using DD even free broadcast TV.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The vast majority likely use the optical audio out from the TV to the receiver, although you may want to program a delay before powering on the receiver (eg. Harmony remote).
I usually leave my receiver on all the time . I could just mute it before tuning the TV on or off. And I could use an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/preamp I was saving for another system. But you would think in this day and age no electronics would be this crappy. I suppose the temptation to save a few pennies here and there is just too strong
post #6 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I think this might be a rare isolated problem with a Vizio TV. I have a very old Vizio in my second bedroom system and I don't have this problem. I have a twenty year old stereo receiver connected to the TV with analogue outputs. I have never had the problem the OP is having. I also power off my gear in a systematic way. I turn off the stereo receiver first and then the source devices and the TV last. It's just a habit from my larger system. I turn off the dedicated amps first. Then the source components, then the pre amp/AVR and the TV last. If your having a popping problem on shut down. Turn off the stereo receiver first and the TV last.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Analog audio L/R outputs are going away...
Optical provide better sound, but most importantly some broadcast channels are outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 surround through optical out..

Just connect this to your AVR and get surround sound..

Just my $0.05...
post #8 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, there aren't a lot of use cases left for analog out on a TV. It was mainly for if you wanted to use better speakers on your TV, but very few people actually did that, and those that had systems used optical out.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I won't buy a TV that doesn't have RCA audio out - more specifically RCA output with selectable Variable Audio Out - I use it to drive powered speakers on one TV (set to variable so I can use the TV volume) and use it to feed a Bluetooth transmitter for wireless headphones (fixed audio out) on the other. Optical out can't do either of these things directly without a converter (which you lose volume control) or an AVR which I don't have room for with my on-wall mounts.

So I don't think that RCA audio out is dead - I think it is still the best way to bypass those crappy built-in speakers that sound like tin cans and I won't buy a TV without it. I have a 5 year old Sony and a brand new Samsung both with VAR selectable RCA outputs and they both work perfectly - I would take back the Visio and get a different brand, the better brands aren't that much more.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #10 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Some people have unique needs. But, designing equipment to meet all such needs would make it needlessly expensive. In an HDMI world, legacy analog connections are rarely needed. Optical and coax are also starting to disappear from some equipment.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Optical & coaxial needs to stay around for another 10 years, plenty of equipment CDP, audio streamers have it.

Composite, S-Video needs, and compopnent to be phased out though.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #12 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
I won't buy a TV that doesn't have RCA audio out - more specifically RCA output with selectable Variable Audio Out - I use it to drive powered speakers on one TV (set to variable so I can use the TV volume) and use it to feed a Bluetooth transmitter for wireless headphones (fixed audio out) on the other. Optical out can't do either of these things directly without a converter (which you lose volume control) or an AVR which I don't have room for with my on-wall mounts.

So I don't think that RCA audio out is dead - I think it is still the best way to bypass those crappy built-in speakers that sound like tin cans and I won't buy a TV without it. I have a 5 year old Sony and a brand new Samsung both with VAR selectable RCA outputs and they both work perfectly - I would take back the Visio and get a different brand, the better brands aren't that much more.
Your use cases require variable audio output..
Unfortunately...
The market is moving in another direction....
More people require a digital output either HDMI or optical... And this is connected into a playback component such as an AVR or soundbar which has variable volume level...

Just my $0.05...
post #13 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I think this might be a rare isolated problem with a Vizio TV. I have a very old Vizio in my second bedroom system and I don't have this problem. I have a twenty year old stereo receiver connected to the TV with analogue outputs. I have never had the problem the OP is having. I also power off my gear in a systematic way. I turn off the stereo receiver first and then the source devices and the TV last.
That is indeed the right way of doing things. When a source is turned on or off, the amp should be off, or at least the preamp muted. But most sources don't create problems. Have you ever tried turning the Vizio on/ff with the receiver on (low volume, just in case)?
post #14 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I do.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #15 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Thing is I believe you won't be able to find RCA out (s) on too many 2013 and up sets but you can find some with 3.5mm analog 2.0 stereo out and variable output in addition to PCM glass,

My 2013 Sony is like that and if need be you can get 3.5mm male to 2 RCA male cables or 3.5mm to 3.5mm or whatever you need hopefully 3.5 mm analog out will be around for a while as an alternative to S/PDIF PCM.

I do not know which sets have 3.5mm var. or still might have RCA with my bedroom Sony 3.5mm.variable

I run some decent 2.1 PC speakers with it don't need or want an AVR or S/B in the bedroom works for me

I know at on time some Sonys and Toshibas has an issue with sound popping (2 of my sets 2012 and 2013 ) that was addressed with a firmware updates specific to that issue can't hurt to check and see what Visio might have .

regards

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-01-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a 5 year old Sony and a brand new Samsung both with VAR selectable RCA outputs and they both work perfectly - I would take back the Visio and get a different brand, the better brands aren't that much more.
This is actually a very nice 42" TV - at least on paper - that is more expensive than the 40" alternatives from Samsung and Sony (at least the ones I have seen at Costco). It has local dimming (14 zones), native 120Hz refresh rate, etc. Vizio has cut some small corners here and there, but so does everyone for TVs sized 42" and below, which nowadays are considered to be lower end models. But 42" is the max I can fit in the nice furniture the wife wants to keep

I guess I can always mute the receiver whenever I turn the TV on/off. I also have a very nice DAC/preamp that is waiting the clearing for a room for a music only system. Until that happens (could be a while), I should just use it.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Btwy, when you plug a blu-ray player to a TV via HDMI, I assume the TV has to be on for a digital stream to come out of the optical output. I am thinking of the case where I just want to play a CD without havnig to turn on the TV. If there is no simple pass through, I guess I can also have a direct blu-ray to DAC connection for just playing CDs?
post #18 of 21 Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosanity View Post
Btwy, when you plug a blu-ray player to a TV via HDMI, I assume the TV has to be on for a digital stream to come out of the optical output. I am thinking of the case where I just want to play a CD without havnig to turn on the TV. If there is no simple pass through, I guess I can also have a direct blu-ray to DAC connection for just playing CDs?
Note that for some HD displays, though they will likely have multiple HDMI and/or other AV inputs...
This does not always mean there will be a digital audio stream @ optical out..
Be sure to check ur display's operation manual to verify what its specific capabilites are...

Just my $0.05...
tubetwister likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Thing is I believe you won't be able to find RCA out(s) on too many 2013 and up sets but you can find some with 3.5mm analog 2.0 stereo out and variable output.
Yes, you are correct - my brand new 3D Samsung has a 3.5mm analog output that I had to use an adapter to RCA - but it does have analog variable audio out which is one of the reasons I chose the higher end model - even though it supports 3D which I don't use.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #20 of 21 Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Your use cases require variable audio output..
Unfortunately...
The market is moving in another direction....
More people require a digital output either HDMI or optical... And this is connected into a playback component such as an AVR or soundbar which has variable volume level...

Just my $0.05...
For the primary TV located in the home theater, I agree.

But I think that I am like most people who have only one of their TVs connected to a home theater system and their other TVs on shelves or wall mounted (in bedrooms and other rooms) - we usually don't want an AVR (or have room for an AVR) connected to every TV just to get better sound that can actually be heard - that is why there are still TVs with Variable Audio Out. And I have messed with a few soundbars for friends and family - they stink big time. I am always answering questions for people who need Variable Audio Out but only have optical out - so they end up getting an optical to RCA converter box and struggling with how to adjust volume. Long live Variable Audio Out.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Most sound bars are weak in audio performance, better than whats built into the TV but still marginal. For a couple of our systems we purchased the SpeakerCraft SC2 available from Magnolia, Amazon...
It is called a SoundBase, larger cabinet the HD display sets on. Has (2) 6 1/2" woofers biamplified and mids & tweeters for the L, C and R front channels. This things kicks butt, makes the video come alive..

Just my $0.05...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page