wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Official Pioneer SC-89

Listen and Be Transformed.

When it comes to creating the very best in home entertainment, the Elite® SC-89 AV Receiver is at the head of the class. Combining the enhanced realism of Dolby Atmos® with the immense power of Class D3 amplification, the SC-89 delivers unmatched sound, effortless connectivity, sophisticated room correction and advanced multi-zone features. Perfectionists, get ready to be transformed by the ultimate audiophile surround-sound experience.

Elite Dolby Atmos® Upgradable Receivers Change the Surround Landscape Forever.*

Talk about opening up a new world of sound! The new Elite SC-89 receiver upgradable for Dolby Atmos, along with our new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers, is the best way to experience Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos is one of the most significant home entertainment introductions since the launch of surround sound. How does Dolby Atmos work? It adds height to the sonic landscape, creating a true 3D, multi-dimensional space that puts listeners inside the experience. Played through Atmos-enabled speakers like the new Elite Home Theater Speaker System or dedicated ceiling-mounted speakers, theatrical releases created in Dolby Atmos simply come alive. Dolby Atmos brings new life to traditional soundtracks, putting sounds into motion and delivering the full impact of the artist’s work like never before. Dolby Atmos upgradable Elite AV receivers continue the Pioneer tradition of bringing state-of-the-art home theater technology into your home before others even know it’s there.
*SC-89 AV Receiver will be upgradable for Dolby Atmos via firmware update by the end of the year. To enjoy Dolby Atmos, users must have Blu-ray Disc content encoded for Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos-enabled receiver, and new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers, add-on modules, or at least two overhead speakers. Certain ceiling dimensions needed for Atmos-enabled speakers; please visit www.pioneerelectronics.com/elitespeakers

HDMI 2.0 for 4K.

The Elite SC-89 features HDMI® 2.0, the newest version of the HDMI standard, which offers increased bandwidth, resolution and frame-rate capability, supporting 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. With 7 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs, you've got plenty of connectivity options for the growing number of high-definition sources available.

Heavyweight Power Meets Efficiency with Class D3 Amplification.

Designed for hard-core audiophiles who settle for nothing but the best, the Elite SC-89 is rated at 140 Watts x 9 channels (8 Ohms, 1kHz, 0.08% THD 2 Ch) and delivers a total of 850 Watts multi-channel simultaneous drive. While lesser amplifiers’ output diminishes as channels are added, the SC-89’s Class D3 amps have the power to drive multiple channels simultaneously with no significant drop in per-channel output, recreating the full impact and dynamic range of high-resolution multi-channel audio. With a direct signal path and no EMI filters, feedback loops or current limiting, these amps are true engineering art, and unlike traditional designs, Pioneer Class D3 amps have the durability to handle multiple low-impedance speaker loads where other receivers lose power dramatically. Efficient Class D3 means the Elite SC-89 runs cool and draws just a fraction of the power consumed by conventional amplifier designs. And because it consumes so little power, its cool operation enhances component life and reliability too.
Certified by AIR Studios. A Serious Stamp of Approval.

The Elite SC-89 has been certified at London’s legendary AIR Studios, whose work is respected worldwide for award-winning motion picture soundtracks and peerless digital CD recordings. AIR Studios understands the artist’s craft, and like Pioneer, believes that faithfully reproducing what the artist originally created in the studio is the critical objective of the finest home theater system.

Pro Sound with MCACC Pro.

Now, MCACC® (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration) is taken to a new level of performance with MCACC Pro. Designed by Pioneer for the Atmos-enabled Elite system, MCACC Pro calibrates sound output using a microphone to monitor the sound environment and an equalizer to optimize and precision-tune each speaker to the room. How advanced is MCACC Pro? So advanced that Pioneer engineers have included dual independent subwoofer outputs, each with individual EQ. Tailoring left- and right-channel low frequency response curves lets you achieve optimum subwoofer performance based on specific room placement, creating powerful bass response and seamless integration with your main speaker system. With the push of a button, it’s like having a professional acoustical engineer fine-tune your home theater system.

Precision Playback in Multiple Formats.

Supporting high-resolution digital file formats such as AIFF, WAV, FLAC and Apple Lossless lets audiophiles hear their favorite music as it was originally intended. Apple Lossless decodes compressed data with no discernible loss in audio quality. MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV and FLAC music files can be streamed from a compatible PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone. The Elite SC-89 features 192kHz/32-bit asynchronous USB-DAC for ultra-high quality music playback from a USB connected PC or Mac. Gapless Playback eliminates gaps between consecutive tracks intended to be played continuously, such as classical music or live recordings.

Multi-Zone Command with HDBaseTTM.

The new standard for multi-zone HD connectivity, HDBaseT makes watching high-definition content easy, streaming uncompressed full 4K UltraHD digital audio and video without an HDMI® cable — using just one standard LAN cable as long as 100 meters without any drop in quality! The Elite SC-89 adds ultimate flexibility to the multi-room experience by delivering up to four different zones of content, capable of powering a 5.1 Home Theater System in the main zone, stereo audio in Zones 2 and 3, and HD video content in Zone 4 via HDMI or HDBaseT. All zones can enjoy different content at the same time. Pioneer’s exclusive iControlAV5 Android/IOS application lets you control the entire experience. HDBaseT supports all standard surround sound formats.

4K Pass-Through.

4K Ultra HD Pass-through is the recognized standard of ultra-high video resolution, boasting 3,840 x 2,160 (24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz) pixels or 4,096 x 2,160 (24 Hz) pixels. Every Elite AV receiver can pass through 4K video signals to any compatible display, offering the highest-quality image available — a full four times the current HD standard!

Get the Big Picture with Qdeo® Video Processing

Experience an exceptional, virtually noise-free picture regardless of the source. Qdeo video processing technology by Marvell and a 4K Scaler allows you to upscale any video source for improved picture quality and compatibility with next generation TVs, and makes Blu-ray Disc and DVD content look more detailed and cinematic than ever before.

PQLS Bit-stream.

Pioneer’s special jitter reduction technology makes reproduced sound more realistic by utilizing the master audio clock in the Elite SC-89 for playback instead of the video clock in a compatible Blu-ray Disc player.

ESS-DAC Sabre32 Bit for All-Channel.

All channels of the Elite SC-89 employ ESS-DAC SABRE32 technology, the world’s highest performance 32-bit audio DAC solution, delivering spectacular sound with a minimum of harmonic distortion.

Spotify® Connect.

Spotify Connect lets you play and control Spotify on your devices. Choose music on one device and listen on another. At home, hit “Play” on your mobile device and hear high fidelity sound through the Elite SC-89. You can also control the music from your mobile phone.

Windows® 8 Certified.

Don't limit your media experience to your laptop speakers. Windows 8 “Play To” feature makes it easy to stream music stored on your PC to the Elite SC-89, so you can enjoy your entire media library on the biggest speakers in the house.

Flexible Freedom with AirPlay®.

In addition to being DLNA® 1.5 and Windows® 8 certified, the Elite SC-89 features AirPlay to wirelessly stream iTunes music from your PC, Mac®, iPhone®, iPad® or iPod touch® through your home theater system at the touch of a button. And because it supports network audio sources in other zones, you can even send music to another room.

ROKU Ready.

An MHL 2.0 port supports the small but mighty Roku Streaming Stick, which lets you stream more than 1,000 channels of TV, tens of thousands of movies and other programming options for a limitless streaming experience.

Internet Radio Puts the World at Your Fingertips.

Featuring vTuner®, the Elite SC-89 offers a wealth of entertainment options. Not only can you enjoy thousands of Internet radio stations around the world, you can also access Pandora® Internet Radio complete with on-screen album art and music information.

Pioneer’s Ultimate Control App

Pioneer’s free of charge iControlAV5 turns your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or select Android device into a powerful wireless remote that controls everything from volume and input selections to advanced features like EQ adjustments and Internet Radio, and even streams music stored on your phone through the Elite SC-89 using the new “Push Player” feature.

Elevate Your Sound ExperienceTM

The Elite SC-89 is the ultimate AV receiver and designed to be the heart of today’s most capable multi-channel system. The SC-89, combined with the new Elite Home Theater Speakers, elevates home theater to a new level of performance. Listen once and be forever transformed.

System Requirements

Room Requirements
Using the Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers you will need the following in order to use the Dolby Atmos-enabled capability of these speakers, the listening room ceiling should have horizontal flat hard surface (for audio reflection) and a height of 8’ to 14’.
Equipment Requirements
To enjoy the full Dolby Atmos experience, consumers must have a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver, Blu-ray Disc content encoded for Dolby Atmos, and new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
To learn more, please visit here

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I guess nobody has one as yet

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #3 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I was told September availability here by my Canadian dealer.
post #4 of 37 Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon is showing 9-15 as the delivery date. It's even eligible for Prime second-day delivery.

What I'm puzzled by is the $1k premium the -89 commands. Comparing specs seems to indicate a more robust power supply, perhaps only one extra MCACC setting, and the Air studios monitor cert. But the specs so far are kind of sparse IMO. There may be more to it than I've found so far.
post #5 of 37 Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 436
The Elite SC-89 features 192kHz/32-bit asynchronous USB-DAC, precision feature for MCACC, the robust power supply that you note are but a few of the reasons. If you look at Elite pricing historically the the top one has always commanded a premium similar to this year's pricing. Top of the line, top costing. If you don't need the precision distance function for MCACC, and extra 70 or 80 watts combined aren't important and don't plan to use the asynchronous USB-DAC (which is unique to Pioneer and eliminates a separate device for those using their computer for audio playback at its highest quality) then the SC-87 is your ticket. Personally the 87 is on my radar unless the 89 drops to around $2k. By the way air studios cert is on the 87 as well.
post #6 of 37 Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 PM

Air cert and Air monitor I *think* are two separate levels. Not sure, though. If they are different, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the 89's premium is due to round trips the design made between the UK and wherever the design team is (they mention this in a video made in ~09 or so).

The USB-DAC thing has puzzled me for awhile now. So, basically, I can use a USB cable to plug my PC into a special USB port on the receiver, and get the benefit of the receiver's fancy DAC instead of the (presumably) more pedestrian model in the PC?

I don't mean to come off as resentful or condescending. I'm genuinely curious. I have the -57, which was top of the line when the D3 amps were new. I'm very interested in this new generation because of the big upgrade to MCACC.
post #7 of 37 Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Dual HDBaseT adds to the cost as well. Although puzzling to me is they added that capability but there's no ir pass through along with it so you can control a display at the receiving end. At least not that I can see. That's a major requirement for distributed video like that in many installs.
post #8 of 37 Old 07-29-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Air Studio certification between the 89 and 87 is exactly the same. This has been the case going all the way back to the SC-07 (which I owned until a few months ago) and the SC-05. Top two models have had it since then. The asynchronous USB-DAC can be a big deal if you use your computer for storing/playing music and connect it directly to your receiver. A number of forum members do this and use a Mac mini or similar devices for this purpose. I have attached a few links for your reading/review. You can see buying a separate device for this purpose can get expensive quickly. The HDBaseT™ Zone Out is also a unique feature allows for long runs with great quality over CAT cable. These two features will add to the cost of the 89 vs. 87 besides the beefier amps - slightly. If you have the first generation of D3 amps there are many forum members who have commented on the improvement in sound from that generation to subsequent ones. I believe that is purely subjective, so don't ask for measurements

The new Pioneer Elites with Advanced MCAAC, two independent sub EQs, Atmos and D3 amps which have always tested well are all great reasons to consider buying one this year. Others have commented on Pioneer's approach to phase correction, I am a believer in its importance in helping delivering a high quality HT experience. Looking forward to someone getting one of these on 9/16 and sharing more details about this year's new Elites.

http://www.audiophilleo.com/definiti...chronous%20USB
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...cs-under-1000/
post #9 of 37 Old 07-29-2014, 03:40 PM

It took me buying a Dragonfly v1.2 before I even understood what was all the fuss was about USB DACs. And, yes, it absolutely makes a difference (IMO, obviously).

I'm a little suspicious about upgrades to the D3s themselves. The external appearance and measurements of this new receiver are (I think) exactly the same as my -57. It makes me think that it's the same chassis and amp section, with substantially upgraded DSPs and DACs. I'm actually cool with that. IMO, there are only so many ways to turn a little electrical signal into a big electrical signal, and I *like* my -57, so if the amps are the same that's fine. If the part numbers are different well, there you go.

I'm such a maniac I'm pretty sure I'll get this horrible itch if I can't dial my speakers in to .5" like I can with the -57. My mother passed this year, and, well, what the hell else is an inheritance (however modest it may be) for?

(And if you think this is a lure to hook a certain walkamo to the thread, ya got that right!)
post #10 of 37 Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Air Studio certification between the 89 and 87 is exactly the same. This has been the case going all the way back to the SC-07 (which I owned until a few months ago) and the SC-05. Top two models have had it since then. The asynchronous USB-DAC can be a big deal if you use your computer for storing/playing music and connect it directly to your receiver. A number of forum members do this and use a Mac mini or similar devices for this purpose. I have attached a few links for your reading/review. You can see buying a separate device for this purpose can get expensive quickly. The HDBaseT™ Zone Out is also a unique feature allows for long runs with great quality over CAT cable. These two features will add to the cost of the 89 vs. 87 besides the beefier amps - slightly. If you have the first generation of D3 amps there are many forum members who have commented on the improvement in sound from that generation to subsequent ones. I believe that is purely subjective, so don't ask for measurements

The new Pioneer Elites with Advanced MCAAC, two independent sub EQs, Atmos and D3 amps which have always tested well are all great reasons to consider buying one this year. Others have commented on Pioneer's approach to phase correction, I am a believer in its importance in helping delivering a high quality HT experience. Looking forward to someone getting one of these on 9/16 and sharing more details about this year's new Elites.

So the SC-87 seems like a much better value! Now how does the D3 perform with the KEF LS50 is the question?

I have seven KEF LS 50 and they are not very sensitive so I wonder!

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wse; 07-31-2014 at 09:58 PM.
post #11 of 37 Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Great thread. Thanks for pointing out some of the unique differences in the 87 and 89. I've been a Pioneer fan since the early 70's, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I got into HT level AVRs. I picked up a new SC-05 at a fire sale price and absolutely fell in love with the sound when paired with my Energy RC speakers. I never knew class D amps tuned by Air Studios could sound so good - at least to me. It has provided me hours of listening pleasure along with many a HD and Blu-ray movie entertainment since ~ 2008/9. I haven't heard the D3 amps yet, but I wouldn't think the originals could sound any better.

I've been lingering over at the official Dolby Atmos thread for awhile now, and I'm about to put the finishing touches on a new mancave/media/HT space. I've never been able to afford the TOL models, but I'm seriously looking at the SC-87 to make the move/upgrade to Dolby Atmos. I wish I could afford one come Sept, but alas, my budget is dwindling fast as I finish up my room. The 87 seems like a good compromise for what I use my system for and can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #12 of 37 Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Good job Pioneer on upgrading MCAAC but bad for still not being able to process 11 (13 please) channels simultaneously. Maybe next year?

post #13 of 37 Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

With a common Atmos spec being 7.1.4; I would be surprised if this year's top 3 Elites are limited to only 9 channels. Not that it would matter in my HT. Just going to 9.2 this weekend after a long run with only 7
and I don't know of any mainstream receiver that does 13 channels this year. Maybe as Atmos and the 2nd or 3rd Gen will bring us more options.
post #14 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 03:07 PM

Best Buy no longer lists it as "on back order". I keep waiting for them to post up the manual. Gah!
post #15 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Best Buy no longer lists it as "on back order". I keep waiting for them to post up the manual. Gah!
Send a request for the manual to pioneer support, they will
send it to you. They said it will be posted soon on the web site.
post #16 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
With Pioneer selling 51% of the audio division to Baring/Onkyo, will the SC-89 be the last of the high end AVRs wholly developed by Pioneer?
post #17 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0dVA View Post
With Pioneer selling 51% of the audio division to Baring/Onkyo, will the SC-89 be the last of the high end AVRs wholly developed by Pioneer?
Yes, probably but who knows!

My humble Cinema
post #18 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hrmmm, will need to start the kissing up to Mrs to get this approved

Can't wait to read reviews/hear one.
post #19 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

So it says 3-5 days for in-store pickup so it looks like next week we will see this and hopefully the speakers as well. Time to make a decision on Pioneer or Denon. I have always dismissed the receiver weight as a factor for buying, but after comparing the weight of the Denon 5200 to the Pioneer SC87/89, have to wonder what the extra 6 pounds is adding from Pioneer. Hopefully we will learn more about speaker configurations with the manual coming soon.
post #20 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
So it says 3-5 days for in-store pickup so it looks like next week we will see this and hopefully the speakers as well. Time to make a decision on Pioneer or Denon. I have always dismissed the receiver weight as a factor for buying, but after comparing the weight of the Denon 5200 to the Pioneer SC87/89, have to wonder what the extra 6 pounds is adding from Pioneer. Hopefully we will learn more about speaker configurations with the manual coming soon.
As I said in a previous post you can request the manual for
the SC-89/87 from Pioneer support. They sent me the PDF
yesterday, just starting to look it over today.
post #21 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

^ in the words of Steve Martin, "Excuuuuse me."
post #22 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I''ve been reading through it. anyone familiar with the organization of existing manuals won't have a problem with the new one

the big differences of course are the speaker configurations, rear panel connections for the various options and guidelines for speaker placement.

people implementing Atmos will have to pay close attention to speaker connections because the labeling on the rear panel doesn't have the room for all the possible options. from what I've observed the past few yrs in forum threads, speaker configurations & connections is one area where some new folks don't get it right, especially trying to set up multizones.

browsing the manual applies more than ever, because not every option can be on the rear panel labeling but I assure you that once you look at the diagrams in the manual, it'll be clear and make sense. just connect them up based on the diagram & option you chose in the speaker setup.

I make this advice now because soon there will be people posting they can't get a particular ceiling (or other) speaker to make sound. It's going to happen and I suspect more frequently than now because there are more options. And it will be more harder for us forum "experts" to help if they ignore the directions.

People will have to pay more attention to the manual than many currently do:

- Speaker configuration and options (Dolby enabled speakers vs ceiling, top front, top middle, top rear, front heights, front wides). Pay more attention to the configuration descriptions about which speakers can be used at same time in each option.
- Rear Panel connections
- Using Remote Speaker button to select which speakers will be used at any time

Steve
post #23 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I''ve been reading through it. anyone familiar with the organization of existing manuals won't have a problem with the new one

the big differences of course are the speaker configurations, rear panel connections for the various options and guidelines for speaker placement.

people implementing Atmos will have to pay close attention to speaker connections because the labeling on the rear panel doesn't have the room for all the possible options. from what I've observed the past few yrs in forum threads, speaker configurations & connections is one area where some new folks don't get it right, especially trying to set up multizones.

browsing the manual applies more than ever, because not every option can be on the rear panel labeling but I assure you that once you look at the diagrams in the manual, it'll be clear and make sense. just connect them up based on the diagram & option you chose in the speaker setup.

I make this advice now because soon there will be people posting they can't get a particular ceiling (or other) speaker to make sound. It's going to happen and I suspect more frequently than now because there are more options. And it will be more harder for us forum "experts" to help if they ignore the directions.

People will have to pay more attention to the manual than many currently do:

- Speaker configuration and options (Dolby enabled speakers vs ceiling, top front, top middle, top rear, front heights, front wides). Pay more attention to the configuration descriptions about which speakers can be used at same time in each option.
- Rear Panel connections
- Using Remote Speaker button to select which speakers will be used at any time
Steve,

I haven't seen any setup or mention of
"Doby enabled speakers" and it appears
they can't do 7.2.4 with an external amp,
is that what you are finding or did I miss
something?
post #24 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Sunny44 for the manual tip, it took Pioneer all of about 20 minutes to email the manual to me after requesting it via email to support. Steve I'm glad you think the speaker configs are easy to understand given there is zero mention of Atmos in the manual - I assume that will come later after or right before the firmware update. I am also surprised that as of now there appears to be no options for upfiring front modules/speakers, I guess we assume the heights are assignable. The emphasis on the middle ceiling speakers is interesting. I am holding out hope that given you have the ability to turn off the front 3 speaker amps that those can be used elsewhere and open up more channel opportunities - like 9.2.2. I do like the amp off feature and the ability to turn all of amps off and use it as a pre only. Denon has a similar feature, but it doesn't turn the amps off, that feature may appeal to the true audiophile or someone interested in saving energy. For discussion and review I have included a picture of some of the possible speaker configs.

Definitely a lot to ready and as stated, careful attention to detail/wiring. At least things haven't changed too much since my SC-07 days in regards to other functions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Configs .png
Views:	45
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	247610  
post #25 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
zero mention of Atmos in the manual
for both of you-
the exact name "Dolby Enabled Speaker": pg 24, 51, 52, 68, 100, 103, 107, 108, 132

this includes pg 51 right on the MCACC setup page in the MCACC directions and pg 107 for Speaker Settings

the word Atmos - described & mentioned on pg 10, 16, 34, 65, 66, 21, 127, 129, 132, including the speaker configuration page.
on one of those pages, there should be Top speakers mentioned.

could the word Atmos be more clearly visible on the Speaker Configuration page? sure.

it's beginning already...o no!

if someone really can't find a word or description you can do what I did and use the Find-Search feature in the pdf reader. fill in search field and keep hitting Next

From what I can tell so far, it looks like speaker configs are 5.2.4 or 7.2.2

I don't 100% know yet if you can bolt a 2 ch amp & use all 11 pre outs or not.

but no announced receiver can natively do 7.2.4 w/o adding an ext amp. all of them have only 9 built-in amps. whether Pioneer will allow you to do 7.2.4 with an ext amp remains to be seen. I would agree it doesn't seem so from looking at manual but we may be missing something. I can't 100% say one way or another at this point.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 09-05-2014 at 09:24 AM.
post #26 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
for both of you-
the word Atmos - described & mentioned on pg 10, 16, 34, 65, 66, 21, 127, 129, 132, including the speaker configuration page.
on one of those pages, there should be Top speakers mentioned.

could the word Atmos be more clearly visible on the Speaker Configuration page? sure.

it's beginning already...o no!
Alright for a minute there Steve you made me feel more stupid then usual since you are the Pioneer guru - but using Adobe's search function Atmos can only be found on one page of the manual - Pg 10. So will I am glad its there compared to Denon's manual for the 5200 - I find Pioneer's just a little kriptic when it comes to Atmos and setup. Not that it can't be figured out. Still a lot of unknowns in my book regarding configuration, but that can be said for most of the receivers out there except for those who have the Denon 5200 setup already. Exciting times, I believe I am will be buying a Pioneer SC-87 soon, I'll miss XT-32, but as you've pointed out there are pluses to MCAAC and some other Elite features.
post #27 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am also surprised that as of now there appears to be no options for upfiring front modules/speakers
see pages in my post. setting for upfiring "Dolby Enabled Speaker" is described in the MCACC & Speaker Setup directions.

maybe you aren't as familiar yet with new manual format, it's laid out & organized differently than your SC-07 days. some ways it's better, some ways worse. details are put in multiple places, so have to dig a bit. it definitely could be better and for a Pioneer newcomer, it's not the easiest way to organize the details.

but it is what it is...

this is why I'm more concerned going forward. more & more complex options for setup & if owners don't follow instructions, they are going to pleading for help here and trashing (pick Pioneer, Denon, etc) why the thing doesn't work.

the rear panel only has the words Top & Mid for the terminals formerly described as Front Heights, yet all of the options for Top Fr, Top Mid, Top R, Fr Ht are available if you look at the wiring diagrams. terminals are re-purposed depending on the application, even more so than B speaker/multizone hookups.

one has to look at the manual diagrams, because the terminals don't have all the option names. and this could be a headache for newbies or people who don't read manuals, they may think they're doing a connection correctly by looking at the back of the receiver yet have it completely wrong.

I've seen too many posts where someone says their sub doesn't work when they plugged it into the zone 2 sub out instead of the preamp sub outs and actually some will claim it used to work that way

going to be fun fun here on the forum. I think I'm going to hide

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 09-05-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #28 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So I guess you're referring to what is labeled "top forward" and "top middle" even though in the pictures associated with those setups show ceiling speakers. I am also beginning to wonder if I have the same manual, because I have searched and read repeatedly the pages you quote that contain the word "Atmos" and "dolby enabled speaker" and they are not in the manual for the SC-87/89 that they sent me. Page 10 is the only reference in the manual I got this morning that has Atmos on it. It may have been a few months since I owned an Elite, but trust me I've been keeping up with them and reading the subsequent model manuals. Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve on my ability to figure out the manual though - I'm getting older but still have a few function brain cells.

I'll be honest - the manual I got as far as Atmos & configuration goes leaves a lot to be desired, not that it will stop me from moving forward with my purchase plans. Hopefully I have a different version or haven't suffered a stroke in the last few hours

The other Steve
post #29 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm older too and some would say "old fart" applies

sorry, guys, I didn't intend to confuse things. I'll refrain from making any more statements for now. I certainly don't want to add to the confusion. the only reason I responded is because several of you posted you got it sent to you on request & were discussing things in it.

I guess it's possible there will be an official pre-Atmos firmware version and an official post-update version. maybe they are thinking from Dolby licensing & operational standpt they can't describe Atmos functionality when it initially won't come with it. I'm not in legal profession so don't know but it seems a reasonable possible explanation.

but I don't know so will bow out of this thread until more dust settles.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 09-05-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #30 of 37 Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Please don't stop posting Steve, you are one of the most knowledgeable Pioneer guys on AVS - most of us from the old days moved on to different receivers. Look at all the speculation on the Atmos thread, that hasn't kept it from being enjoyable or from a lot of us learning a thing or two in-between speculation and AH debates. I was hoping you had the new manual and I got the wrong one. It would be great if you could share what your seeing for speaker configs since the back of the receiver isn't labeled as intuitively as what Denon did on their receivers (to-date). I was going to not add heights after buying some speakers a few weeks ago, but have decided to do so after reading how the heights appear to be used in my version of the manual - worse case I can test Rich B's theory about how regular small bookshelf speakers will work for Dolby Surround/Atmos modules

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - SC-89 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page