• 1 Post By arnyk

post #1 of 5 Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
integrated amp? advise

So I am looking to upgrade my music only setup. I have a u-turn audio turntable and just got a pair of def tech studio monitor 450s. I have a pioneer vsx-1018ah receiver. Its a home theater receiver with a ton of amps and mess load of inputs and surround sound options. For this setup I am just need a simple 2 channel amp and something to switch between the turntable and maybe one or two other inputs. SO I am thinking of getting an integrated amp. Is this a good idea? Will I see an improvement in sound if I get on in the $300-400 range? was thinking maybe a yamaha or possibly the Elite A-20 which is not an integrated but stereo amp. I dont really have any experience with this type of setup but a receive just seems like overkill and I have to think simplifying things will improve sound quality.

Mark-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
So I am looking to upgrade my music only setup. I have a u-turn audio turntable and just got a pair of def tech studio monitor 450s. I have a pioneer vsx-1018ah receiver. Its a home theater receiver with a ton of amps and mess load of inputs and surround sound options. For this setup I am just need a simple 2 channel amp and something to switch between the turntable and maybe one or two other inputs. SO I am thinking of getting an integrated amp. Is this a good idea? Will I see an improvement in sound if I get on in the $300-400 range? was thinking maybe a yamaha or possibly the Elite A-20 which is not an integrated but stereo amp. I dont really have any experience with this type of setup but a receive just seems like overkill and I have to think simplifying things will improve sound quality.
So you won't possibly use the Pioneer? You mention it, but don't say why you won't use it. There's external turntable amps if needed, which would work with it.

I can understand getting an integrated amp for simplicity and aesthetics.

I have seen reviews, professional and otherwise on Yamaha integrated amps you could find. Yamaha also makes a stereo receiver if you wanted the option of a tuner. It's pretty light-weight though. It's power spec is a joke, when did Yamaha start specing amps at 10% THD just to hit the 100 watt magical number? I would guess it's a 50 watt receiver, which is more than enough for reasonable listening levels, but isn't going to cut it well if you want to crank it up.

If it was me, I would consider buying some cheap preamp, if I could find one, so I could hook up an affordable pro audio amp. Maybe that's not very feasible or pretty in some ways, but it would give you all the power you would ever need A pro audio mixer would work, but would still require a separate phono amp. So maybe an integrated amp does make some sense

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
So I am looking to upgrade my music only setup. I have a u-turn audio turntable and just got a pair of def tech studio monitor 450s. I have a pioneer vsx-1018ah receiver. Its a home theater receiver with a ton of amps and mess load of inputs and surround sound options.
It appears to be a circa 2009 AVR in the $600 MSRP range.

Quote:
For this setup I am just need a simple 2 channel amp and something to switch between the turntable and maybe one or two other inputs.
The biggest problem I see with the AVR is that it lacks a phono input. It looks like your vaporware turntable lacks a built in phono preamp. External phono preamps have no performance disadvantages, and you have the choice of quite a few of them over a wide range of prices.

http://www.kabusa.com/index_pp.htm

The AVR has multiple line level inputs, so no switching other than what the AVR already has should be needed.

Quote:

SO I am thinking of getting an integrated amp. Is this a good idea?
Seems like a great way to waste the price of something you already has that is probably old enough to have minimal resale value.

Quote:
Will I see an improvement in sound if I get on in the $300-400 range?
Unlikely.

Quote:
was thinking maybe a yamaha or possibly the Elite A-20 which is not an integrated but stereo amp. I dont really have any experience with this type of setup but a receive just seems like overkill and I have to think simplifying things will improve sound quality.
Modern AVRs are self-simplifying. Just tell them how many speakers you actually hooked up and they make a lot of choices for you that simplify the actual signal processing and routing.

The power that might be used for multichannel operation is available to the 2 power amps that you actually use.

You ought to at least give it a try.
trog69 likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The 1018 is a fine receiver, I have had mine since 2009, and am very happy with it. It drives 4 ohm speakers with no issues at all. You will not get any higher quality sound out of an integrated amp than you get out of the Pioneer.
Arny, why do you call the Uturn Turntable Vaporware? Have you heard reports of them not being delivered? I havent seen any reports of any issues.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ok so to answer a couple of questions.

The u-turn is far from vaporware. I ordered in April and received mid June. They put them together by hand and inspect and setup each one before they ship. I was willing to wait. It sounds great by the way. I purchased a bugle2 preamp which also sounds excellent.

The receiver did a great job for HT but I have not been really impressed with its performance in my two channel setup. I have tried a few different sources and thrown a couple pairs of speakers at it. I actually just found my Emotica LMC-1 pre/pro which i have not used for a few years in the basement collecting dust. I hooked that up to an icon amp (little thing) and hooked up the oribt and squeezebox with my def tech sm450s and I am pretty happy with this setup. I have it configured in a near field setup on my table, and not bad. So maybe I will just look to get a little more powerful amp, maybe an emotiva and call it a day. I guess I should have kept my emotiva 5 channel amp I sold over the winter

Mark-
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page