Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Processor vs. AVR which is best?

Budget less than $1,500

I already own a McIntosh six channel power amplifier and a powered sub. I have no interest in having anything more than a 5.1 system. I recently sold my Denon receiver and enjoyed the ton of features but bypassed the internal amps in favor of the Mac. Anyway, I sold the Denon because of too many issues with the HDMI board crapping out on me - thinking of getting a Yamaha receiver for more reliability - but - also thinking about getting just a pure processor for 5.1 surround.

I do need HDMI pass through functionality for those days when I just want to listen to my TV without the entire surround system "on". I have a Sony Bravia TV, Roku and Blu Ray player. I never listen to Pandora at home.

Any recs? Seems like a Processor is a pure watered down version of a receiver - so what is the real advantage of just a pure processor vs a receiver packed with a ton of features?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Generally processors are not watered down AVRs. They are usually the high end of the spectrum. Better components, features, build quality, etc. But they usually cost alot more. Some of that is economy of scale since they don't sell many pre-pros.

You could look at some Anthem receivers. They have a couple in the $1500 range or less.
http://www.anthemav.com/products-cur.../page=overview

Don't know if they have have HDMI pass through, not a feature I've ever wanted or needed.

This Marantz AV7701 may interest you too. Pretty sure it has HDMI passthrough
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=AV7701

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 07-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
AV pre-amps are generally expensive. AV Pre-power is worth it, power amplifiers aren't too bad priced- you can start off with a low output model 5 x 60W for less than £1000. It's the AV pre's which are insanely priced. The only mainstream brand I know of that is affordable the Audiolab 8200AP

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9951-audi...er-preamp.aspx

I wouldn't spend more than £1500 on a av pre.

But feature is very lacking, it doesn't do native HD decoding afaik, limited on inputs. No room EQ. No video scaling. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do in the future, have a Lexicon MC-8 (absurd at £4500) and wouldn't pay the full retail price.

As for HDMI pass through, my Yamaha 671 has this feature.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What Denon did you have?

I'm hesitating between a Denon AVC-A1HD and a Denon AVP-A1HD. So it's also choosing between a "receiver" and a pre-amp.

BTW I have the Klipsch THX U2 speaker set.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

I got rid of my Denon AVR since the HDMI board went out about every 14 months - I recommend against that brand. The customer support was great and they repaired it no charge - I was just out shipping cost to the repair shop twice. But basically, I would look elsewhere - Yamaha, Onkyo, anything but denon because of HDMI board problems
post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

What I see in processors is that they have less features than comparable priced AVRs but better build quality, so for AUDIO guys that are really particular about AUDIO quality, having a processor and separate amp may be best. But if your system is more for movie soundtracks, maybe separates is overkill? Am I right on this?

opinions?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
But basically, I would look elsewhere - Yamaha, Onkyo, anything but denon because of HDMI board problems

Don't get Onkyo then, their problems with HDMI boards are much worse than Denon. There are many threads here on AVS about it.

Afro GT
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the warning about Onkyo HDMI boards, my recent research has actually lead me to a Yamaha AVR in the Aventage line - I struggle to find anything regarding problem with the HDMI board crapping out on customers in reviews

I just cannot go with Denon or Marantz (same company) for sure, I will now add Onkyo as one to avoid for now as well. Maybe in three years they will all work out the HDMI board problems - or maybe they just keep buying the same HDMI boards from the same discount supplier of crap HDMI boards. This technology has been around for awhile now, shouldn't it be corrected by now?
post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
AV pre-amps are generally expensive. AV Pre-power is worth it, power amplifiers aren't too bad priced- you can start off with a low output model 5 x 60W for less than £1000. It's the AV pre's which are insanely priced. The only mainstream brand I know of that is affordable the Audiolab 8200AP

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9951-audi...er-preamp.aspx

I wouldn't spend more than £1500 on a av pre.

But feature is very lacking, it doesn't do native HD decoding afaik, limited on inputs. No room EQ. No video scaling. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do in the future, have a Lexicon MC-8 (absurd at £4500) and wouldn't pay the full retail price.

As for HDMI pass through, my Yamaha 671 has this feature.
I wouldn't call the Pre-Amps expensive but they are better made! Because they can put in better hardware because they don't have to throw in a cheap amplifier which most avr's have which then also lowers the hardware of the pre/pro side of things.

But there are high-end avs that do have both but they're more expensive than anyone should throw money down on one, just get a pre/pro and a lot of monoblocks and call it a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymusicvideo View Post
What I see in processors is that they have less features than comparable priced AVRs but better build quality, so for AUDIO guys that are really particular about AUDIO quality, having a processor and separate amp may be best. But if your system is more for movie soundtracks, maybe separates is overkill? Am I right on this?

opinions?
Yes, if you just want a good surround experience I would just get a good feature avr and call it a day. Yamaha makes great avr's! But if audio is strictly your thing your probably not gonna look at Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, etc. Your going to be looking at Mcintosh, Parasound, and boutique companies as they generally want strictly analog inputs for sound with HDMI inputs for video. Also let's not get into the tube debate but if you are getting tubes it is important the amps are from the same company and they're not mixed so if you get monoblocks for your front you may get stereoblocks for the back and surround speakers as audiophiles really want a "good" hi-fi stereo experience when listening to music but also great sound when it comes to tv, movies, and games. Now I come into this category but... I'm not rich which is why I'm waiting on the AV7702 which feature wise is comparable to the yamaha rx-a3040 EXCEPT the 3040 is a 9 channel but can expand out to 11 channels. But the av7702 can expand out to 13 channels I believe due to atmos as you may need those extra 2 or 4 ceiling speakers.

Last edited by Ericks89; 07-05-2014 at 01:22 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I think you can go with used Mcintosh, you have the Mcintosh power amp you get synergy. Parasound C1/C2 really good and price excellent. I have the Parasound C1 way better Pioneer Elite receiver for me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors