Marantz sr6006 + B&W cm8? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Marantz sr6006 + B&W cm8?

I have the Marantz sr6006. Now I'm thinking about buying the cm8's as fronts. But I'll only do this if I don't have to buy a new amp.
Is the Marantz sufficient for the cm8's? I don't listen to music, so I don't mind that much if I mis a little bit of detail. I'm mainly talking about the wattage.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
it will be useful to share the following so that fellow friends here can help u, better:
- listening preferences
- room size
- gear
post #3 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenz View Post
it will be useful to share the following so that fellow friends here can help u, better:
- listening preferences
- room size
- gear
Listening preferences: videogames and series, no music
room size: 5 meter (width), 3 meter (hight), 8 meter (lenght)
gear: 47" tv, Marantz sr6006, two B&W cm1's, REL T5, and maybe cm8's. But I'll probably sell the cm'1, as I'm not interested in surround for this money.

Last edited by Abupa; 07-06-2014 at 08:30 AM.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abupa View Post
Listening preferences: videogames and series, no music
room size: 5 meter (width), 3 meter (hight), 8 meter (lenght)
gear: 47" tv, Marantz sr6006, two B&W cm1's, and maybe cm8's. But I'll probably sell the cm'1, as I'm not interested in surround for this money.
Thanks. Do u have a sub? I owned the CM8s before, and my room is almost the same size as yours, slightly smaller.

Can help us better understand what's the % use between movies/series and videogames?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I forgot, I also have the REL T5. So I guess this would help the receiver handle the cm8's a little better. Take some of the load.

80% of the time I watch series, the other 20% videogames.
I mainly want the cm8's because of the bigger stereo immage and a more confincing sound.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's sufficient, but far from optimal. Try it out and see what you think. Worst case, you buy some Marantz mono-block amps to drive the B&Ws.

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Bi-amping would be useless right?: connect the B-fronts too
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I owned the CM8s before, and my room is almost the same size as yours, slightly smaller.
What receiver (?) did you use with them?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Oh I forgot, I also have the REL T5. So I guess this would help the receiver handle the cm8's a little better. Take some of the load. 80% of the time I watch series, the other 20% videogames.
I mainly want the cm8's because of the bigger stereo immage and a more confincing sound.
From my experience with the CM8, they need lots of juice to see its true potential. An AVR like the SR6008 may not do the speaker justice. I tried it out using both AVR and a processor, and also using a 200WPC power amp.

My observations on the CM8 are that:
- It also needs to be placed quite away from the rear wall, sounds boomy easily if placed too near
- quite choosy on placement, can sound nasal in some placements
- CM8's low extension is not very good, even when powered with a 200WPC external power amp.
- mid range and dialogue is good.

Well if you are looking for better imaging and since u have a sub to cover the low end, bookshelves might be better. And it is easier to drive. I would suggest u get the B&W 805S or 705s bookshelves. The tonal balance and sound is more coherent. If u still love floorstanders, get the previous 703S 704S series, or the previous 8 series 804/803.

Go for used sets to save u the monies. Audiogon has quite good deals now and then. And pump the monies into a power amp like the Emotiva XPA3 or XPA5.

But I recommend to add a power amp if u go down the 7 or 8 series route. I saw a big improvement in sq after i did that. U wont regret it

Last edited by sevenz; 07-07-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Great advice, thank you!
Then I think the best thing for me is to save money for a long time. I do want to go with floorstanders, in stereo. The subs a bit of a pain in the ass with placement for me, nog good experiences there for me.
It's best to buy a stereo receiver right? But I don't know how I can connect my ps4 in an easy way: optical to stereo seemed expensive.
I'm going to buy everything secondhand, yes. But I don't like the looks of the old speakers of B&W.
I want some stereo speakers that are good for movies. I was thinking about the B&W cm9 or the B&W 683 s2. I like the looks of them and they are better for movies then the cm8's you must think.
Would the 683 s2 be sufficient for movies, and safe me some money with the amp?
What amp would go well with this; the NAD C375BEE? Altough I don't like the looks of them. Any thoughts? Or is the Marantz PM8005 enough? I really like the looks of them!
The amp you mentioned, I can't buy it here. I live in the Netherlands.

Thanks

Last edited by Abupa; 07-07-2014 at 04:12 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Great advice, thank you!
Then I think the best thing for me is to save money for a long time. I do want to go with floorstanders, in stereo. The subs a bit of a pain in the ass with placement for me, nog good experiences there for me.
It's best to buy a stereo receiver right? But I don't know how I can connect my ps4 in an easy way: optical to stereo seemed expensive.
I'm going to buy everything secondhand, yes. But I don't like the looks of the old speakers of B&W.
I want some stereo speakers that are good for movies. I was thinking about the B&W cm9 or the B&W 683 s2. I like the looks of them and they are better for movies then the cm8's you must think.
Would the 683 s2 be sufficient for movies, and safe me some money with the amp?
What amp would go well with this; the NAD C375BEE? Altough I don't like the looks of them. Any thoughts? Or is the Marantz PM8005 enough? I really like the looks of them!
The amp you mentioned, I can't buy it here. I live in the Netherlands.
Based on your usage, I dont think you really need a stereo amp as u are not into music. U need a good sub that can give u good midbass, good avr w/ XT32 and easy-to-drive speakers.

Again, note that floorstanders like the CM9 will warrant a power amp to do it justice. I have no exp with C375 or the PM8005

How are u intending to listen to your series and games? It seems to be you are going for 2.1 channel. And what type of series? Do they need HD sound formats?
post #12 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Based on your usage, I dont think you really need a stereo amp as u are not into music. U need a good sub that can give u good midbass, good avr w/ XT32 and easy-to-drive speakers.

Again, note that floorstanders like the CM9 will warrant a power amp to do it justice. I have no exp with C375 or the PM8005

How are u intending to listen to your series and games? It seems to be you are going for 2.1 channel. And what type of series? Do they need HD sound formats?
Yes I eventually want 2.1. I'll buy the sub at a later moment, when purchasing two loudspeakers. I was thinking about a brand like velodine.
The series I watch aren't that critical, it's mostly series like the Sopranos. I don't need to listen to HD audio.

Why is a stereo amp not the thing for me? I'm sure I don't want surround and a center channel. I like listening movies with 2.1. If there's no sub connection, I can always buy a REL with highlevel input.

Do you think there is a big difference in the amp I need to buy, if I go for the B&W 683 s2 or cm9? If there is, I want to go for the 683 s2.

If possible, could you please give me me an amp for the 683 s2 / cm9 (depending on which you think is better for movies). That being an amp that is sufficient and at the lowest cost possibly (that's why I wanted a stereo amp).
It's not neccessairy to buy separate amps right?

Thank you
post #13 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Yes I eventually want 2.1. I'll buy the sub at a later moment, when purchasing two loudspeakers. I was thinking about a brand like velodine.
The series I watch aren't that critical, it's mostly series like the Sopranos. I don't need to listen to HD audio.

Why is a stereo amp not the thing for me? I'm sure I don't want surround and a center channel. I like listening movies with 2.1. If there's no sub connection, I can always buy a REL with highlevel input.

Do you think there is a big difference in the amp I need to buy, if I go for the B&W 683 s2 or cm9? If there is, I want to go for the 683 s2.

If possible, could you please give me me an amp for the 683 s2 / cm9 (depending on which you think is better for movies). That being an amp that is sufficient and at the lowest cost possibly (that's why I wanted a stereo amp).
It's not neccessairy to buy separate amps right?

Thank you
Stereo amp is more pertinent if you are into music. Well, if u do not need surrounds and centre, maybe what u need is a 2-channel amp to augment your sr6006 to drive the floorstanders. CM9 and 683 is not apple-to-apple. If budget is not a concern, just go for CM9. CM9 midrange for your series will be much better due to the midrange driver and technology of the CM9, and it has better bass extension (but means need more juice). Since u watch a lot of series, good to get speakers with good midrange and dialogue.

how big is your listening area? CM9 needs room to 'breathe'

my experience with 2-channel amps are limited, maybe other users can jump in.

Last edited by sevenz; 07-07-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

The room has enough space for the speakers. It's just that I'm moving out in two years, and no idea how large the room is going to be.

I've decided to go for the cm9, because there's a bigget change that I can buy these second hand, instead of the 683 s2.
I'm really thinking about the Rotel ra 1570. €1500 (1hand) with 120 watt pc, and an optical input for my ps3, and usb for pc!
Any experience with this amp, anyone?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page