Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Need help until can decide on atmos pre or avr

Ok. I have a major problem that I'm literally tired of waiting to fix!!!

Lightning strike took out 4 avrs, minidsp 10x10hd, and 2 routers plus a ton of other stuff that was directly connected to modem/router/dtv. Over $10k that will not be covered under home owners policy since its under fire/lightning part of policy which requires a 1% deductible of a total loss which is over $5,000 then units would be depreciated for payout on replacement. I'm rather pi$$ed that we don't have full replacement costs in our policy and am now in the market for different insurance.

Now to my problem. I have a Sony vw1100es 4k pj and would like atmos soon like really soon but also want to use my theater until can purchase an atmos pre or AVR. What is there that I can buy now that can be used for a pre(volume control) that is also up to date with 4k technologies? I know the flagship oppo bd player can get me watching material but will that suffice or will I end up needing to replace it for any other 4k reason soon?

I'm just really trying to avoid buying a cheap AVR right now just to get back into the theater (been 3 months since strike) as I really missed it with a few great releases lately.

Maybe I'm just out of luck with the timing on atmos avrs and pre pro releases right around the corner but figured I'd ask the vast knowledge base here for some guidance before wasting money. I could just buy a cheap $200 AVR and be ok for everything except 4k pass through but the vw1100 does its own converting rather well with bds so not a biggie other than the wasted $200 on the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Ok. I have a major problem that I'm literally tired of waiting to fix!!!

Lightning strike took out 4 avrs, minidsp 10x10hd, and 2 routers plus a ton of other stuff that was directly connected to modem/router/dtv. Over $10k that will not be covered under home owners policy since its under fire/lightning part of policy which requires a 1% deductible of a total loss which is over $5,000 then units would be depreciated for payout on replacement. I'm rather pi$$ed that we don't have full replacement costs in our policy and am now in the market for different insurance.

Now to my problem. I have a Sony vw1100es 4k pj and would like atmos soon like really soon but also want to use my theater until can purchase an atmos pre or AVR. What is there that I can buy now that can be used for a pre(volume control) that is also up to date with 4k technologies? I know the flagship oppo bd player can get me watching material but will that suffice or will I end up needing to replace it for any other 4k reason soon?

I'm just really trying to avoid buying a cheap AVR right now just to get back into the theater (been 3 months since strike) as I really missed it with a few great releases lately.

Maybe I'm just out of luck with the timing on atmos avrs and pre pro releases right around the corner but figured I'd ask the vast knowledge base here for some guidance before wasting money. I could just buy a cheap $200 AVR and be ok for everything except 4k pass through but the vw1100 does its own converting rather well with bds so not a biggie other than the wasted $200 on the AVR.
Onkyo is already selling their new Atmos ready AVRs (TX-NR636, TX-NR737, TX-NR838). Onkyo has committed to providing a future firmware upgrade to enable Atmos. FYI: I am not advocating Onkyo whatsoever; just trying to provide a possible solution to your dilemma.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page