Yamaha RZ-A1030 vs. Marantz SR7007? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha RZ-A1030 vs. Marantz SR7007?

These seem to be pretty close in specs, the main difference being the speaker balancing software AudysseyXT vs. YPAO RSC. I'm more of hands-on tweaker guy anyway, so I don't need the most perfect automated system. No stores around me have either on display to audition as they have all moved on to the newer models. So, its online with a good return policy for me.

A/V performance is of paramount performance, but I do listen to my extensive ogg and flac library on the NAS quite a bit on the weekends. Looking for the best balance between good movie action sound and active listening to music. I'm slightly leaning toward the RX-A1030 at the moment. The SR7007 seems harder to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GeorgeJetson View Post
These seem to be pretty close in specs, the main difference being the speaker balancing software AudysseyXT vs. YPAO RSC. I'm more of hands-on tweaker guy anyway, so I don't need the most perfect automated system. No stores around me have either on display to audition as they have all moved on to the newer models. So, its online with a good return policy for me.

A/V performance is of paramount performance, but I do listen to my extensive ogg and flac library on the NAS quite a bit on the weekends. Looking for the best balance between good movie action sound and active listening to music. I'm slightly leaning toward the RX-A1030 at the moment. The SR7007 seems harder to find.
Have you considered the Denon X4000? Better version of Audyssey and newer model than either of the two you are considering. My feeling is to get the better REQ from the Yamaha would be to move to the 2030. It would be closer to the Marantz than the 1030.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
Have you considered the Denon X4000? Better version of Audyssey and newer model than either of the two you are considering. My feeling is to get the better REQ from the Yamaha would be to move to the 2030. It would be closer to the Marantz than the 1030.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did have the X4000 in the mix, but it lacks the multichannel analog audio input for my SACD/DVD Audio player.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Liked: 19
The Yamaha will give you more freedom to tweak the room correction than the Marantz. If you step up to the RX-a2030 ypao will correct the sub down to 31.5hz. You can also have different crossovers for the speakers. The RX-a1030 will have the same crossover for all speakers. I believe those are the 2 big differences.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
The Yamaha will give you more freedom to tweak the room correction than the Marantz. If you step up to the RX-a2030 ypao will correct the sub down to 31.5hz. You can also have different crossovers for the speakers. The RX-a1030 will have the same crossover for all speakers. I believe those are the 2 big differences.
Hi, thanks for the information. I looked at the 2030, but I concluded it was more receiver than I needed and breached my magical $1000 barrier on the refurb market. I don't have a super sophisticated HT set up, most of my speakers are 20 years old. I think the Definitive Technology towers I have were some of the first they produced and the center speaker is a Boston Acoustics (do they still make those?). 7 amps is more than enough for 5.1 set up plus a second zone.

I guess my hesitation is going with the lowest entry for Yamaha's Aventage line versus the former flagship of the Marantz SR line. Doesn't make sense I know.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 19
This is the unit I have, and I'm beyond happy with it. To my knowledge the only difference between this and the 2030 is a different brand DAC, which from what I've heard sounds no different. This is actually cheaper than the 1030 on accessories4less. Whichever unit you get I suggest immediately upgrading to the latest firmware.
I don't have any experience with Marantz, but from all I've read they make very good units.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html
post #7 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the information. I looked at the 2030, but I concluded it was more receiver than I needed and breached my magical $1000 barrier on the refurb market. I don't have a super sophisticated HT set up, most of my speakers are 20 years old. I think the Definitive Technology towers I have were some of the first they produced and the center speaker is a Boston Acoustics (do they still make those?). 7 amps is more than enough for 5.1 set up plus a second zone.

I guess my hesitation is going with the lowest entry for Yamaha's Aventage line versus the former flagship of the Marantz SR line. Doesn't make sense I know.

The A2030 is the lowest model that can EQ the subwoofer.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The A2030 is the lowest model that can EQ the subwoofer.
Thanks. I'd love to be able to spring for the A2030, it's just outside of my budget right now, even at refurb prices. My subwoofer did come with its own SPL microphone and calibration kit (R.A.B.O.S.), albeit using 20th Century technology. It seems everything I own is considered vintage now.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and useful information.

I've been researching and evaluating for several weeks now, so this was the penultimate step.

One more model I looked at last night was the 2012 Yamaha RX-A2020. Nice specs, more horsepower than I really need, but a nice refurb price. Really appeals to my Scottish heritage as a good bargain. In the end though, I shied away from models too far removed from the company's active product lines out of concern that firmware updates and other support issues would be dropped sooner than the more recently discontinued models. Support for streaming services is a consideration for me as I subscribe to Spotify amongst others.

I wish I could wait until the RX-A1030 or A2030 is a second generation removed when the replacement for the 40 series comes out, but my current AVR is on its last legs and likely to give up the ghost any day now.

So, I ordered the A1030 refurb last night from accessories4less. They are including an aftermarket 5 year warranty right now and free shipping, if anyone is interested. The older models such as the Yamaha RX-Axx20s and the Marantz SR7007 are down to their last remaining stocks now.

I hope I can get it in time for the weekend to have some free time to set it up and calibrate my powered sub for the new configuration.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck and hope everything works out and it sounds great.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
Good luck and hope everything works out and it sounds great.
Thanks, I'll report in through the A1030 Owner's thread when I've got it set it up and running.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

So, I ordered the A1030 refurb last night from accessories4less. They are including an aftermarket 5 year warranty right now and free shipping, if anyone is interested. The older models such as the Yamaha RX-Axx20s and the Marantz SR7007 are down to their last remaining stocks now.

I hope I can get it in time for the weekend to have some free time to set it up and calibrate my powered sub for the new configuration.
Doh! I'm guessing you didn't call us at AV Science first. Ah well.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #14 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
all i can say is that i have the RX-A1020 and love it. ive owned three receivers in almost 40 years, first one i messed up by touching the speaker wires never had it fixed right. second one i still have RX-V620, and it works perfect, but i wanted one with HDMI, first thing i noticed was that it up-scaled my direct tv to 1080p, had to actually turn the color down some. ssecond i can control it with my iphone, and so many more features. so i figured if the first one lasted many years until i messed it up, the second is still working perfect, well then why not stick with what works, at least for me. i wish i could of afforded the 1030 or even the 2030. just my 2 cents.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Doh! I'm guessing you didn't call us at AV Science first. Ah well.
I sure did, spoke to Mike IIRC. You didn't beat the deal I got unfortunately.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
... In the end though, I shied away from models too far removed from the company's active product lines out of concern that firmware updates and other support issues would be dropped sooner than the more recently discontinued models. Support for streaming services is a consideration for me as I subscribe to Spotify amongst others.....
A case in point for the DD+ support issue w/ Netflix and Denon:

Dolby Digital Plus and and Netflix on various AVRs
post #17 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I sure did, spoke to Mike IIRC. You didn't beat the deal I got unfortunately.
It's not always about beating, rather if the difference is worth taking the chance on whether the relatively new 3rd party warranty company will still be in business if you need warranty service.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
It's not always about beating, rather if the difference is worth taking the chance on whether the relatively new 3rd party warranty company will still be in business if you need warranty service.
So do you guys take Trade Ins? I am looking at upgrading my Mint Marantz 7005 to the newer 7007 and I know see OneCall and Crutchfield have them for 1K, must be a new SR7008 coming out.

Well ironically my local dealer who carries Marantz talked me out of buying a new receiver for now, says there isn't that much of a improvement via the 7005 verses the 7007 a few connection better but he said to wait.. So far he has steered me in the right direction.

Last edited by Garman; 07-15-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page