which amp? sunfire tga-7401 or emotiva xpa-5 & xpa-2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > which amp? sunfire tga-7401 or emotiva xpa-5 & xpa-2

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

paulfromtulsa's Avatar paulfromtulsa
05:55 PM Liked: 13
post #1 of 8
07-10-2014 | Posts: 203
what amp setup would you guy do? i am running a 7.2 system in my theater room and looking to add some amps to my system. i was thinking about either getting the sunfire tga-7401 to run the whole system or getting a emotiva xpa-2 to run my 2 front towers and the emotiva xpa-5 to run the rest of the speakers. i like the size and weight of the sunfire but it is also what scares me about it cause its hard to grasp that something that small could do 400 watts x 7. on the other hand the emotivas are beast and might actually collapse my rack lol. what do you guys think on what amps i should do? oh yeah my speakers that i am using are all definitive technology i have towers for the front and sides. inwalls for the rears. thanks
MichaelJHuman's Avatar MichaelJHuman
06:13 PM Liked: 118
post #2 of 8
07-10-2014 | Posts: 18,955
If it's like the Sunfire I have read of in the past, it uses a so called tracking downconverter. That would make it a sort of class H amplifier. A class H amplifier could be more efficient than a class AB amplifier, giving it a smaller power supply and heat sinking.

Still it does seem very powerful for a sub 50 pound non class D amplifier. Maybe it uses a switch mode power supply, but I doubt it.

Anyway, seeing how the chances of ever needed it's full rated power, I am sure it's more than adequate for your needs. It's more expensive than Emotiva, but takes up less space, so I guess that's a judgement call. There's also the issue of servicing it if something goes wrong - I have this fear servicing it will be very expensive. I seem to recall hearing some repair bills on Sunfire before. Seeing how the Emotiva circuits are probably much simpler, there's always that consideration.
paulfromtulsa's Avatar paulfromtulsa
08:32 AM Liked: 13
post #3 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 203
so basically i can get the sunfire or the 2 emotivas for around the same price. logic tells me to get the sunfire cause it has more power and takes up less space and has a higher msrp. but i keep going back and looking at the emotivas cause they are a class a/b amp which most of the amps out there are so it makes me think that it might sound better. i read somewhere that the sunfire is a class h and sound "warms" dont know what that means. im so confused dont want to make a $2000 mistake. thanks for any input
M Code's Avatar M Code
08:56 AM Liked: 133
post #4 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 9,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
what amp setup would you guy do? i am running a 7.2 system in my theater room and looking to add some amps to my system. i was thinking about either getting the sunfire tga-7401 to run the whole system or getting a emotiva xpa-2 to run my 2 front towers and the emotiva xpa-5 to run the rest of the speakers. i like the size and weight of the sunfire but it is also what scares me about it cause its hard to grasp that something that small could do 400 watts x 7. on the other hand the emotivas are beast and might actually collapse my rack lol. what do you guys think on what amps i should do? oh yeah my speakers that i am using are all definitive technology i have towers for the front and sides. inwalls for the rears. thanks
I would pass on those choices and get an ATI 2000..
ATI has significantly higher build quality and sonic performance, than those mentioned brands. The ATI is rated @ 200 watts per channel and is typically underrated delivering up to 25% more. ATI builds their amplifiers in the USA (no cheaper China construction) for many highly respected brands including JBL Synthesis, Mark Levinson...
Though it may be more $ U can use it with virtually any other home theater component in the future.

Just my $0.05...
09:07 AM Liked: 118
post #5 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 18,955
I don't know about their customer support and reliability, but I like with I see from Outlaw amps. Impressive for the price. Their 7125 for $1000 looks like a lot of amplifier for the price. 50 pounds is about the limit for an amplifier weight for me personally - I have to be able to move the thing on my own without damaging myself
phantom52's Avatar phantom52
09:10 AM Liked: 83
post #6 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 7,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
I don't know about their customer support and reliability, but I like with I see from Outlaw amps. Impressive for the price. Their 7125 for $1000 looks like a lot of amplifier for the price. 50 pounds is about the limit for an amplifier weight for me personally - I have to be able to move the thing on my own without damaging myself
IIRC those Outlaw amps are made by ATI. Outlaw would also be my first choice if I were in the market.
M Code's Avatar M Code
01:38 PM Liked: 133
post #7 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 9,967
U need to think through your $ budget...
Yes, ATI builds the Outlaw amplifiers any other choice U will just shortchange yourself..
The quality and sonics of the amplifiers is the most important component in a home theater system next to loudspeakers, do not take the bait of the hyped advertising and power specs of those lower grade brands...
Spend the $ wisely and buy a quality component power amplifier, it will last many years..

Just my $0.05...
02:37 PM Liked: 118
post #8 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 18,955
I used to build a new PC for myself once a year or so. And I usually looked for the sweet spot graphics card. There seemed to be this point at which there was a leap of performance, for not a big jump in cost. And somewhere above that point you started paying quite a bit for undewhelming performance improvements ( or they were unimportant for the current state of the art of graphics.)

I figure amplifiers should be similar. When I see an Outlaw for $1000 that can do 190 watts into 4 ohms all channels driven, I start thinking sweet spot amp. I know Outlaw has been around a long time, which could be an indication of the quality of the amps. I try not to get sucked into the more power mindset for amplifiers given the severe diminishing returns of more power.

I can see where a person might look at the 7125 and think, receivers put out that much power. But very few would manage it. Yamaha's top of the line models might do close to that, but the Outlaw spec is more conservative, being measured with all channels driven. While ACD might not be especially important, you can be pretty sure it means the 7125 will outperform the Yamaha. It will have a better power supply, likely a bigger transformer, certainly more capacitance. It probably has better heat sinking, and will run cooler because it's not next to a lot of specialized processors and such.

Not trying to make a sale for outlaw, but if I was in the market for a single seven channel amplifier, I would buy that one. That being said, I suspect receivers often have sufficient power for people's needs, but I know the allure of wanting to be sure ( and having a new toy.)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread