Marantz SR7007 or Denon X2100 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Marantz SR7007 or Denon X2100

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

alphadux
09:59 PM Liked: 0
post #1 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 2014
My Marantz SR7001 I bought new 8 years ago finally has met its demise. In looking at getting its replacement, I had my heart set on another Marantz. Best Buy is offering me a SR7007 for $999 (a whopping $600 saving with the release of the 7008) but I've also got a chance to get the newly released Denon X2100 for $599.

My understanding is Marantz is just a bit of a higher quality (and higher price) version of Denon. A bit of a sweeping generalization, I know, especially since they are under the same umbrella company.

So...which one should I get? The 7007 offers a bit more watts per channel, but I'm not finding many other glaring differences. Is a Marantz that's almost a full year older than this Denon really worth $400 more?

I love my old Marantz but I don't want it to cloud my judgment...and I don't know how much I can trust Best Buy reps that clearly need to sell off their remaining stock of last year's model.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
11:17 PM Liked: 1685
post #2 of 8
07-11-2014 | Posts: 45,992
Joined: Sep 2007
Choose the model that offers the features/inputs/outputs that you want.
alphadux
09:54 AM Liked: 0
post #3 of 8
07-12-2014 | Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 2014
Thanks for the response. That's just it though, they both have the features/inputs/outputs I want. My question is: are the Marantz' features/inputs/outputs of higher quality than the Denon's enough to justify the extra money?
Laserfan
10:01 AM Liked: 18
post #4 of 8
07-12-2014 | Posts: 3,771
Joined: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadux View Post
Thanks for the response. That's just it though, they both have the features/inputs/outputs I want. My question is: are the Marantz' features/inputs/outputs of higher quality than the Denon's enough to justify the extra money?
But no one here has any idea what $400 means to you. I've been looking at the SR7007 so this thread caught my eye, and IMO the Marantz is in a different league vs. that model of Denon; more inputs, more power, more [almost] everything although it seems the Denon has wifi/bluetooth and the Marantz does not.
alphadux
06:46 PM Liked: 0
post #5 of 8
07-12-2014 | Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
But no one here has any idea what $400 means to you. I've been looking at the SR7007 so this thread caught my eye, and IMO the Marantz is in a different league vs. that model of Denon; more inputs, more power, more [almost] everything although it seems the Denon has wifi/bluetooth and the Marantz does not.
True. $400 is $400 though. What that means to me is maybe upgrading my center speaker, or putting that extra cash towards a getting bigger better TV. That extra $400 for the 7007 is almost twice the price of the x2100. I'm just wondering if it's going to [I]sound[I] twice as good. If so, it's worth it to me. If not, I'd rather put that money into something else.

I don't care about the wifi since my router will be right next to my unit I can just plug an ethernet cable into it. And I'll be using Airplay so bluetooth doesn't matter to me either (though Marantz does offer the RX101 bluetooth adapter for $99 if I ever did want it down the road). Sound is what's most important to me. I'm just wondering if it's almost twice the quality in sound...
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
09:02 PM Liked: 1685
post #6 of 8
07-12-2014 | Posts: 45,992
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadux View Post
Thanks for the response. That's just it though, they both have the features/inputs/outputs I want. My question is: are the Marantz' features/inputs/outputs of higher quality than the Denon's enough to justify the extra money?
The 7007 is 2 levels higher than the X2100W so has far more features/inputs/outputs than does the X2100W. If the X2100W meets your needs, better to put the savings in to upgrading your center speaker or adding another sub.
alphadux
10:23 PM Liked: 0
post #7 of 8
07-12-2014 | Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The 7007 is 2 levels higher than the X2100W so has far more features/inputs/outputs than does the X2100W. If the X2100W meets your needs, better to put the savings in to upgrading your center speaker or adding another sub.
Thanks for the input. If that's the case though, do you think the 7007 would be a better long term investment?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
02:28 AM Liked: 1685
post #8 of 8
07-13-2014 | Posts: 45,992
Joined: Sep 2007
^^
That is your decision to make. I gave you my recommendation.
Gear in this thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3