AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Here's what I wrote over on the lounge when asked the same thing. I can only equate it to movie listening because two channel listening is not as much my thing. I suspect the two channel folks will have a lot to say about the SQ.

"I would equate it to the same improvement I had when adding the XPA-3 to my system. Sure, I had an amplifier before, but at 125w it wasn't supporting the dynamic range nearly as well as the XPA-3 does now. I began hearing all these little details that I had not heard before. Footsteps across a wooden plank or maybe a rope twisted tight came to life. I would say the XMC-1 has made a similar impact. Dialog is also dead on the actor as they move around the screen where it wasn't so much before (our soundstage is the same width as the screen size).

I also noticed that the surrounds sound more effortless and better integrated now. I used the same SPL meter this time as with the UMC so I know the levels were right. With the UMC I'd be sitting in the back row and think, yep..there's a speaker 5 feet from my ear. You definitely had an awareness of speakers back there. With the XMC, I don't notice it anymore. I don't know if it's because of the quality of sound or maybe the side and rear matrixed info has improved? Not sure. It's great though, and very apparent to me.

Hope this helps a little. I'm not very good at describing the nuances of high end audio."
You sure took a very valid stab @ it. ...Simply put, I'm sold.
Foggy1 likes this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1457 Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
If the new FW for the XMC-1 is released this week I'll be impressed with how quickly Emotiva addressed the bass management issue
We can only tell if it is really addressed when Dirac is released. Until then it is only addressed in the manual EQ mode. And the way how they are going to implement it in manual mode suggests they could still get it wrong.
post #603 of 1457 Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
If the new FW for the XMC-1 is released this week I'll be impressed with how quickly Emotiva addressed the bass management issue and minor bugs that weren't mentioned. Even though the XMC-1 has been released in limited numbers it seems that there isn't any talk of any major bugs.

Bill
That never stops the speculators on AVS.
Foggy1 likes this.
post #604 of 1457 Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post
"I don't have any reason to believe they won't follow through on the guarantee."

How did the guaranteed 3D upgrade work out for you with the UMC-1? Was it easy to install?
I'm not sure if emotions are effecting your reading comprehension, or if you're purposefully trying to misconstrue my meaning. Emotiva has guaranteed that anyone who purchases now has 30 days AFTER the release of Dirac to decide if they want to keep or return the XMC-1 for a full refund:

Quote:
Since Dirac isn’t quite ready, if you purchase your XMC-1 now, of course we’ll extend your 30-day trial period until 30 days after we send you the Dirac update.
That's what makes it risk free for me. To date, I' haven't heard of Emotiva denying someone a return when they are within the return window. Have you?
Foggy1 likes this.
post #605 of 1457 Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I think the point that copene was making was that a 3D update was never made available for the UMC-1, even though Emotiva promised that it would be. The possibility exists that Dirac won't be successful(though personally I believe they've made it work this time) and then the 30 day window will start anyway. Not sure if you got that, but your point that one will have 30 days after Dirac is released remains valid.

It's not quite risk free though, at least in my mind. One will have to pay to return the unit. One will be out all the time for tinkering, experimenting, calibrating, loading this firmware(how many more?), installing Dirac and finally deciding whether they want to return it. That's a lot invested emotionally speaking. When I finally realized the 2nd new Adcom preamp needed to go back in the box, I was one unhappy camper, let me tell you. All I'm saying here is some wouldn't consider the transaction risk free. Then, after 2 or three months, you're back at ground zero and really not feeling like taking the plunge with another processor.

That said, let's hope they are on the verge of a ground breaking domestically manufactured processor that will change the game. I'll wait and see. You'll step up and pay the man. At the end of the day, neither choice is wrong.
Bluescale and xcapri79 like this.
post #606 of 1457 Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
That said, let's hope they are on the verge of a ground breaking domestically manufactured processor that will change the game. I'll wait and see. You'll step up and pay the man. At the end of the day, neither choice is wrong.
Yeah, I really hope so as well. Besides the sound quality, there have been many other things about the XMC that have made it much more pleasureable to use. Here's what I posted over at the lounge about some of those features.

"AUTO Mode - The XMC does such a great job of interpreting the signal and setting the appropriate surround mode. With the UMC, I basically left it on PLIIx movie 95% of the time because none of the other modes sounded as good to me. I did occasionally switch to direct or stereo for 2 channel listening which I also do on the XMC but man, the AUTO mode kicks ass making it so simple to get great sounding content matrixed to 7 channels. No muss, no fuss. All of the modes sound excellent on the XMC.

Brightness - No more running through all of the dim levels just to set something on the UMC, then turning it back off. The XMC set to brightness 0% is such a great implementation for making those quick adjustments or checking the info display. It goes dark when finished, just like you would want.

INFO display - No more scrolling like the UMC! Current volume is displayed. Enough said.

Loudness - I didn't use this much on the UMC. I think it was called Dolby volume. Low/Mid/High, did anyone hear a difference? The loudness feature on/off has been simplified and appears to work well on the XMC. Boosting those highs and lows helps at lower volumes although I still need to play with the bass level when enabled.

Menu - They really hit it out of the park with this one. Moving around through the settings is much more straight forward than on the UMC. I remember a few quirky things with the UMC like setting speaker levels. Was it previously -2.0db or -2.5db, did I just change it while looking? I haven't found anything yet in the XMC menus that seems confusing.

Lastly, there are no pops or noises powering on and off or while adjusting settings like I've heard before on the UMC. The XMC is dead quiet and locks on quickly.

It's been such a pleasure listening to the movies and music that I know well on the XMC-1.

Man I haven't been this excited about our theater in a while!"

bborzell, Bluescale and k elone like this.

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE7000u 3D w/HTB Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH Screen
Video: DVDO Edge Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
Speakers: eD Custom 6T6 Towers, Emotiva UAC-8.2, Emotiva ERD-1s
Subwoofer: eD A3-300 12" 350w Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers

post #607 of 1457 Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 447
^ Maybe the UMC was that bad?
Sorry, couldn't resist
People complained about the blue light Pioneer had on the high end Elites - that's a lot Emo blue from top to bottom.
post #608 of 1457 Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
^ Maybe the UMC was that bad?
Sorry, couldn't resist
People complained about the blue light Pioneer had on the high end Elites - that's a lot Emo blue from top to bottom.
Touche' my friend. The issues it had are much more obvious to me now.

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE7000u 3D w/HTB Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH Screen

post #609 of 1457 Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FWIW, Lauffman posted today that the units now shipping have the FW 1.1 update. That update does NOT include Dirac as has been previously stated.
post #610 of 1457 Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #611 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I see they still have the issue my XDA-1 had 3 years ago. The blue LED lighting doesn't match the shade of blue of the display.
post #612 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
I see they still have the issue my XDA-1 had 3 years ago. The blue LED lighting doesn't match the shade of blue of the display.
And if you were to visit a site like WBF, they would tell you that the 2 different color lights affects the sound.
Foggy1 and andyc56 like this.

R 8:28

post #613 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Well obviously that's not the issue. The colours don't look right together.
post #614 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow.
post #615 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Well obviously that's not the issue. The colours don't look right together.
says who?
post #616 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1 View Post
says who?
All I'm saying here is the they aren't the same color and in my opinion, the two shades don't match.
post #617 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't affect sound quality.
RogerSch and Foggy1 like this.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #618 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying here is the they aren't the same color and in my opinion, the two shades don't match.
Must be the photo--it looks very nice together in person. You'll have to find some other nits to pick.
RogerSch and Foggy1 like this.

post #619 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM

It's not the photo, it's the same mismatch that I owned with the XDA-1. I don't know why Emotiva didn't make the colors the same like they do with my Onkyo, Oppo, NAD, etc. Hey, I don't like the colors but it's not the end of the world, folks!

Last edited by audio4life; 08-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #620 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Is the dual hdmi output on the XMC-1 usable as a matrix switch? Or does it only replicate the current input on both outputs? Thanks.
No matrix.
post #621 of 1457 Old 08-07-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
"AUTO Mode - The XMC does such a great job of interpreting the signal and setting the appropriate surround mode. With the UMC, I basically left it on PLIIx movie 95% of the time because none of the other modes sounded as good to me. I did occasionally switch to direct or stereo for 2 channel listening which I also do on the XMC but man, the AUTO mode kicks ass making it so simple to get great sounding content matrixed to 7 channels. No muss, no fuss. All of the modes sound excellent on the XMC.
This is a really sad way to be positive about Emotiva, considering my 12 year old receiver does that.
post #622 of 1457 Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need some info on integrating this unit into a control system (serial or IP). Searched their website and can't find anything. Can someone point me in the direction of the documentation on the control interface and commands? Thanks!

I don't really like talking about my flair

post #623 of 1457 Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
This is a really sad way to be positive about Emotiva, considering my 12 year old receiver does that.
What can I say.. I am a sad person that buys sad products from a sad company.
Bluescale and Foggy1 like this.

post #624 of 1457 Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Maybe it is more just a reflection of some of the issues you had with your previous unit. The feature is common, but the important thing is that your a happy camper and Emo has got it right on this one. Another potential bug not there for those who value the auto select function. Be happy, it's Friday, weekend should give you more time to play with your new unit.
Bluescale likes this.
post #625 of 1457 Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Need some info on integrating this unit into a control system (serial or IP). Searched their website and can't find anything. Can someone point me in the direction of the documentation on the control interface and commands? Thanks!
IP control information is not out yet. Promised "real soon now". The XMC-1 does not have a serial control port.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #626 of 1457 Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
In fairness, digital signal lock-in is an issue with many boutique brand processors. So if the XMC-1 works as well as a commodity AVR in that department, that's a genuine step forward for "better" processors.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #627 of 1457 Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBuck View Post
FWIW, Lauffman posted today that the units now shipping have the FW 1.1 update. That update does NOT include Dirac as has been previously stated.
This firmware update was the results of some folks pushing to have a real dual mono sub solution.
Emotiva listened and came out with this release.

Dirac was stated to be out by September.
Not via the next firmware release.
Foggy1 likes this.
post #628 of 1457 Old 08-09-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I think the point that copene was making was that a 3D update was never made available for the UMC-1, even though Emotiva promised that it would be.
Bingo. This is an important point that the apologists for Emotiva tend to either forget or ignore and why many potential customers are skeptical about their promises. I will wait for good independent reviews of the unit with Dirac before making any decision to purchase. There will also be consideration of the atmos-based units expected out around the same time. September/October should be interesting.
Johnla and Modicen like this.

Last edited by xcapri79; 08-09-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #629 of 1457 Old 08-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
This firmware update was the results of some folks pushing to have a real dual mono sub solution.
Emotiva listened and came out with this release.

Dirac was stated to be out by September.
Not via the next firmware release.
It's been a week since XMC shipments resumed but not one post here. I guess no news is good news?
post #630 of 1457 Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
It's been a week since XMC shipments resumed but not one post here. I guess no news is good news?
Shipments started on Wednesday. A few people (folks living in the eastern part of the country) received their units yesterday. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they've got dual-mono subs configured correctly, either. They implemented individual delay and level settings, but also individual EQ settings. <sigh>

I'll confirm all this next week.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page