Emotiva XMC-1 Chat Thread: technical talk only please - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Great manual! It actually has clear explanations.
I'm used to manuals that just replicate the UI with some terse Japanese translations.
ya great manual

incomplete, just like the processor they released is.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
67jason is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
The problem in the other thread was that for 99% of its life, there was nothing to say about a unit which didn't actually exist. That is no longer then case, hence this thread. It was always inevitable that the other thread would degenerate into OT posts and bickering simply because there was nothing else to say at that time. Discussing the 'technical issues' of a unit which didn't exist, and about which not much was known, was never going to be easy
So far this thread is a usefull as the other one.
Six pages (and counting) of whine and no cheese.

You started this thread too early Keith
MUDCAT45 and thrillcat like this.
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
So far this thread is a usefull as the other one.
Six pages (and counting) of whine and no cheese.

You started this thread too early Keith
Could be. But units are now shipping and it seems a fair number of them will be in customers' homes by next week. So maybe soon we can get the real hands-on stuff we are all waiting for. Have you seen the 'beta tester questions' thread on the Lounge? It's a fast-growing thread with a lot of questions posed. People will want answers to those questions, and hopefully in an environment that is not controlled by the manufacturer and not dominated by fanboys.
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cvetan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I think this thread is about two months too early, according to Emo that is.
Cvetan1 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
stephenbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As others have noted the 'preliminary' manual is very well set out and easy to understand. In at least this respect others could learn from Emotiva.
stephenbr is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 AM
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
the xmc 1 is awesome eh!!! sonic nirvana !!! just hook up 7 xpa 1s to push da power down the speakers throat for maximum sound quality!!!
cableguy301 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Question here, is the Dirac in the Datasat the same on the xmc-1?

I'm thinking no, but would love to be corrected.

Thanks

Djoel
Djoel is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Question here, is the Dirac in the Datasat the same on the xmc-1?

I'm thinking no, but would love to be corrected.

Thanks

Djoel
There is no Dirac in the XMC-1.
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM
 
cableguy301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
There is no Dirac in the XMC-1.

is it true barns your an emotiva power junkie and love da big mono block power for da best sound quality....


I see your becoming a real emo fan boy eh..


cheers
cableguy301 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
is it true barns your an emotiva power junkie and love da big mono block power for da best sound quality....


I see your becoming a real emo fan boy eh..


cheers
You can never have too much woofage. Or too much wattage
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
There is no Dirac in the XMC-1.
Come on you know what he meant.
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Come on you know what he meant.
LOL. I did. But my reply was absolutely factually correct

The real point, and the proper answer to his question, is "we don't know". Currently we have no real idea what Dirac LE is, how Emo have implemented it and how it compares to any other form of Dirac. In 60 days, we may get a bit further with it, assuming, of course, that the 60 day timetable from Emo is adhered to.
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
LOL. I did. But my reply was absolutely factually correct

The real point, and the proper answer to his question, is "we don't know". Currently we have no real idea what Dirac LE is, how Emo have implemented it and how it compares to any other form of Dirac. In 60 days, we may get a bit further with it, assuming, of course, that the 60 day timetable from Emo is adhered to.
It's that dry Brit humor that rubs yanks the wrong way.
Luckily I'm from a background that also enjoys a dry wit so I personally don't mind.

Also how does it feel to become the president of the Atmos fan club?
cableguy301 likes this.
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
andyc56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 216
In reading the manual, I noticed it has somewhat odd bass management. If you tell it you have two subs, then left main, left side surround and left rear surround bass are redirected to the "left sub", while right main, right side surround and right rear surround bass are redirected to the "right sub". If you tell it you have 1 subwoofer, the manual says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMC-1 Manual
If your XMC-1 is configured for a single subwoofer, all of the content intended for both subwoofers will be summed into a single monaural subwoofer output signal, which will be available at both subwoofer outputs. Therefore, a single subwoofer may be connected to either output.
What I wonder is, if you configure it for a single sub, can you still adjust gain and distance trims for the two sub outputs independently? It seems like they may have conflated the concepts of "mono subs" and "single sub".
andyc56 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,972
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
In reading the manual, I noticed it has somewhat odd bass management. If you tell it you have two subs, then left main, left side surround and left rear surround bass are redirected to the "left sub", while right main, right side surround and right rear surround bass are redirected to the "right sub".
That's standard for stereo subwoofers. My (circa 2001) Lex MC-12 has the option to do stereo subs and has similar bass management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
What I wonder is, if you configure it for a single sub, can you still adjust gain and distance trims for the two sub outputs independently? It seems like they may have conflated the concepts of "mono subs" and "single sub".
That would be a good question for the beta testers (there's a dedicated thread at the Lounge to do just that). I'm going to guess that in mono subwoofer mode the two outputs act like an internal Y-splitter (no separate levels or delays).

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 215
This is from the Datasat LS,
thread If you go further down a few post djnickuk takes a few specs from the xmc, not too sure where he got it at the time frame, but he shows the processing power and compares them to the LS10 DSP chip power, and it's a whole different ball game! Well you can see wide margin in number of processing chips Vs the Emo

Surely is understandable between the prices difference of course, but it looks like I answered my own question.

Djoel

.
Djoel is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
This is from the Datasat LS,
thread If you go further down a few post djnickuk takes a few specs from the xmc, not too sure where he got it at the time frame, but he shows the processing power and compares them to the LS10 DSP chip power, and it's a whole different ball game! Well you can see wide margin in number of processing chips Vs the Emo

Surely is understandable between the prices difference of course, but it looks like I answered my own question.

Djoel

.
Not sure what you mean. (and that font was hard to read)

As I understand it for the XMC the calculations for the curves are done in the cloud.
So given that, how much processing power do you need to maintain the curve data after the calculations are done?
Now it is my understanding that in the datasat unit this is done internally.

So I think what you want to ask is "if given the same room, will I get the same curves using the datasat's internal processing vs the XMC's cloud implementation?"

That I have no clue until someone with a datasat and a XMC in the same room does the test.
And if they are different, that really would be a question for Dirac since they are doing the processing at their cloud servers, no?

At least that is how I logically think of it.
(with my flawed logic as it is)
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,554
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
That I have no clue until someone with a datasat and a XMC in the same room does the test.
And if they are different, that really would be a question for Dirac since they are doing the processing at their cloud servers, no?

At least that is how I logically think of it.
(with my flawed logic as it is)
I have a borrowed Datasat and "when" Dirac is released for the XMC, I will have one of those as well and in the same room. Then we can answer that question. I also have Dirac on my music server so we can compare the results of all three. i would certainly hope that the three results measure REALLY REALLY close

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
It's that dry Brit humor that rubs yanks the wrong way.
Luckily I'm from a background that also enjoys a dry wit so I personally don't mind.
I've been wondering about that you know. I wonder if some of my 'trouble' over at the Lounge was because of a different cultural style of speaking. I think Brits tend to be more 'straightforward' (in the sense of calling a spade a spade) than Americans, who I find are usually excessively (by our standards) polite. Note, NYC residents need not apply ). You get this with Russians for example. I know a few Russians and some of the blunt things they say raise a lot of eyebrows. But it is just their way of speaking and they mean no offense by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Also how does it feel to become the president of the Atmos fan club?
Does it come with a salary, pension and health benefits?
IgorZep likes this.
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have a borrowed Datasat and "when" Dirac is released for the XMC, I will have one of those as well and in the same room. Then we can answer that question. I also have Dirac on my music server so we can compare the results of all three. i would certainly hope that the three results measure REALLY REALLY close
I for one am really looking forward to that review.
Excellent!
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I've been wondering about that you know. I wonder if some of my 'trouble' over at the Lounge was because of a different cultural style of speaking. I think Brits tend to be more 'straightforward' (in the sense of calling a spade a spade) than Americans, who I find are usually excessively (by our standards) polite. Note, NYC residents need not apply ). You get this with Russians for example. I know a few Russians and some of the blunt things they say raise a lot of eyebrows. But it is just their way of speaking and they mean no offense by it.
I'm sure it plays a factor.
A good coworker of mine is also Russian and I know exactly what you mean.
I get along with him beautifully but I know of many other coworkers who just can't get along with him.
I keep telling him they are taking him the wrong way, but it still doesn't seem to make a difference.
Shame that it happens to work out this way.
I'm born and raised in the US but come from a latin background and dry humor is in our blood.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Does it come with a salary, pension and health benefits?
It is in the US so no pension for you, only a 401K.
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,554
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
I for one am really looking forward to that review.
Excellent!
I will also be able to compare it to Audyssey on my Integra 80.2.

I am having to go to training in California on the Datasat (as a dealer representative since they do not sell directly to consumers) and that will be in about a month. I will then come home and set up my system and can then start the comparisons. Should be interesting.
steveting99 likes this.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
I
I keep telling him they are taking him the wrong way, but it still doesn't seem to make a difference.
IKWYM. They don't 'get it'. Someone says something that isn't necessarily true, but innocently, with no intent to deceive and my Russian pals would say, without hesitation "why are you lying?". LOL. Tell them all day that people will take it the wrong way but they don't get it. They day "if he isn’t telling the truth then he is lying".


Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
It is in the US so no pension for you, only a 401K.
Darn. Well, if the salary is good....
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Come on you know what he meant.
bootman, is it true that some AVR's will be shipping without Atmos. If so, that is worse than what Emo is doing since Atmos is supposed to be earth shattering good.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
bootman, is it true that some AVR's will be shipping without Atmos. If so, that is worse than what Emo is doing since Atmos is supposed to be earth shattering good.
You could have got Onkyo in there. All the 2014 Onkyo units have Atmos with the exception of two really cheap ones.

I think one of the differences referenced in your comment is that Anthem, NAD and so on haven’t been telling us for 6 years that they will be launching Atmos units in February/April/June/July* (*delete as appropriate) and then actually failing to launch with the promised features AT ALL. See the difference?
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
You could have got Onkyo in there. All the 2014 Onkyo units have Atmos with the exception of two really cheap ones.

I think one of the differences referenced in your comment is that Anthem, NAD and so on haven’t been telling us for 6 years that they will be launching Atmos units in February/April/June/July* (*delete as appropriate) and then actually failing to launch with the promised features AT ALL. See the difference?
Is Onkyo the only unit shipping without Atmos? What about Yamaha?

Yes there is a difference in marketing. No difference that units will ship incomplete.

Onkyo has bigger problems than Atmos. I was trying to keep this thread clean. Did not want to pollute the whine and cheese that is being served here.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I will also be able to compare it to Audyssey on my Integra 80.2.

I am having to go to training in California on the Datasat (as a dealer representative since they do not sell directly to consumers) and that will be in about a month. I will then come home and set up my system and can then start the comparisons. Should be interesting.
Now don't go and tell us that you will also be capturing REW shots of your listening position for each unit...
bootman_head_fi is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,972
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
All the 2014 Onkyo units have Atmos with the exception of two really cheap ones.
Yup, and at the time the mid-priced units shipped, there was no mention (let alone expectation) that they would be updated to Atmos. That was a happy surprise announced months later.

By comparison, at the time the XMC-1 was getting ready to ship, there was no mention (let alone expectation) that it would need to be updated to Dirac. That was an unhappy surprise revealed at the last minute.

I'll leave you to decide which of those two is truly "exceeding expectations".
kbarnes701 likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Is Onkyo the only unit shipping without Atmos?
You misread my post. ALL Onkyos for 2014/15 are shipping with Atmos except for two very cheap units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
What about Yamaha?
What - like these Yamahas for example?

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...surround-sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Yes there is a difference in marketing. No difference that units will ship incomplete.
You have a unique use of the word 'incomplete'. A unit that is incomplete is one that is supposed to have a feature, has been promoted as having that feature and is then released without it. A unit that was never intended to have a feature, and is thus released without it, is not 'incomplete'. You can argue this for ever, Mud, but the fact remains that Emotiva have released the XMC-1 without the very feature that might have set it apart from its competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Onkyo has bigger problems than Atmos. I was trying to keep this thread clean. Did not want to pollute the whine and cheese that is being served here.
Phew. I thought you were going to manage two consecutive posts without taking a comical swipe at Onkyo
kbarnes701 is online now  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
^^^^

If they implement Atmos into the XMC-1 it can only be good news. But AIUI the XMC-1 only allows for 7 channels currently. While it's true that this would allow for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup, that is severely restricted when their competitors have already embraced 7.1.4. Without a substantial redesign the XMC-1 can never offer more than a very limited implementation of Atmos. So the question then would be, will you buy a $2,000 XMC-1 with 5.1.2 or would you rather spend exactly the same amount on the Denon AVR-X5200W and get 7.1.4?

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/elec...receivers/1598
Although I love Audyssey and Atmos in 7.1.4, I would buy the XMC-1 in 7.1 if it has the Dirac that can really excel.
Skylinestar is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off