AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1803
Emotiva XMC-1 Chat Thread: technical talk only please

EMOTIVA XMC-1 'Owner's Only' thread is now located here:

Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 07-25-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Umc200 happy owner and will be curious
post #3 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Umc200 happy owner and will be curious
Any thoughts about upgrading? Do you have the discount card?

post #4 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Any thoughts about upgrading? Do you have the discount card?
have the card but I'm really happy with my umc200. I got it six months ago and have it working well in my system. would wait at least six months to see the feedback. can't see spending that kind of cash on a preamp.
post #5 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Im a little bit LOL @ the thread starter...but what can you do....

I am cautiously curious about how the xmc-1 performs in the wild. I have no desire at this time or in the near and not so near future to delve into any new HT tech (atmos and the like) but my onkyo 809, while a flawless performer for well over 2 1/2 years, has a few things that are lacking for me now...mainly a better room correction system. I have heard rooms set up with xt32 and like them a bunch and have been considering a xt32 equipped avr sometime in the future. But the prospect of something like Dirac at affordable pricing is of high interest for me. I will be monitoring this thread in the coming days and weeks with much interest to see how the xmc-1 performs for all who get one.

and I do hope this thread doesn't degenerate itself in the way the recent xmc-1 threads have.
tenthplanet and thrillcat like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

Why you wouldn't want to join
forum

Last edited by 67jason; 07-12-2014 at 05:05 AM.
post #6 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Im am cautiously curious about how the xmc-1 performs in the wild. I have no desire at this time or in the near and not so near future to delve into any new HT tech (atmos and the like) but my onkyo 809, while a flawless performer for well over 2 1/2 years, has a few things that are lacking for me now...mainly a better room correction system. I have heard rooms set up with xt32 and like them a bunch and have been considering a xt32 equipped avr sometime in the future. But the prospect of something like Dirac at affordable pricing is of high interest for me. I will be monitoring this thread in the coming days and weeks with much interest to see how the xmc-1 performs for all who get one.

and I do hope this thread doesn't degenerate itself in the way the recent xmc-1 threads have.

I'm in the same boat as I'm happy with my 4311 and XT32. But I'm very curious as how well the XMC-1 (Dirac especially) will perform in the wild from unbiased owners. I also hope this thread doesn't go sideways. I have a feeling that the way the other XMC-1 thread is being policed will also apply here .

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #7 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I am cautiously curious about how the xmc-1 performs in the wild. I have no desire at this time or in the near and not so near future to delve into any new HT tech (atmos and the like) but my onkyo 809, while a flawless performer for well over 2 1/2 years, has a few things that are lacking for me now...mainly a better room correction system. I have heard rooms set up with xt32 and like them a bunch and have been considering a xt32 equipped avr sometime in the future. But the prospect of something like Dirac at affordable pricing is of high interest for me. I will be monitoring this thread in the coming days and weeks with much interest to see how the xmc-1 performs for all who get one.

The Dirac portion will not be available with the earliest shipping models. They are anticipating that the software/mic will ship up to 60 days after the initial units, so we still have a little longer to wait.
post #8 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
IKWYM. I don't think I will be contributing a great deal here, but am interested in the XMC-1 and how it performs, especially wrt to Dirac as I mentioned. I just thought that now the unit is actually being released, it deserved a thread of its own, away from the other XMC-1 thread which is now outdated ("coming soon" is now not relevant) and which had descended into a lot of petty bickering and OT posts as there was nothing anyone could say about the XMC-1 when it didn't actually exist. Hopefully, this thread will be more serious.

Quote:
Yes, agreed totally. Dirac is the main interest for me too, although hands-on reports of all aspects of performance will be welcome. I am, as you know, a big fan of Audyssey XT32, but I am always interested in looking out for alternatives which may improve on what XT32 has to offer.

Quote:
I hope not. Now there is something real to say, about real units, hopefully your fears will prove to be unfounded.

post #9 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXel View Post
The Dirac portion will not be available with the earliest shipping models. They are anticipating that the software/mic will ship up to 60 days after the initial units, so we still have a little longer to wait.
source or speculation?

forum
post #10 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I also hope this thread doesn't go sideways. I have a feeling that the way the other XMC-1 thread is being policed will also apply here .

Bill
Hey Bill! The problem in the other thread was that for 99% of its life, there was nothing to say about a unit which didn't actually exist. That is no longer then case, hence this thread. It was always inevitable that the other thread would degenerate into OT posts and bickering simply because there was nothing else to say at that time. Discussing the 'technical issues' of a unit which didn't exist, and about which not much was known, was never going to be easy

I applaud Emotiva for publishing that 90 page Audio Precision report. I hope someone with a technical background will be able to comment on the most important parts of it. I have had a quick look and as far as I am able to understand, all the relevant parameters seem to be covered. I have already seen one comment elsewhere along the lines of "Wow! Look at that SNR rating" when indeed the SNR was very good, but as it was also well beyond the threshold of human audibility, in reality it is no better than any other unit which has a decent SNR. But I still applaud Emo for making the report available.
CruelInventions likes this.

post #11 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Really? I mean, really? They are shipping it without its most significant feature enabled? I can scarcely believe it. Do you have a source for this information? I am not doubting you in any way at all - I just need to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

If this information is correct, it would make me wonder if they have rushed it out prematurely for some reason. What reason? To bring in some revenue to help cover the dev costs to date, or to get it out there before the Atmos excitement this fall swamps the entire market, or just because they didn't dare delay it any longer for credibility reasons. I do hope it hasn't been rushed out prematurely though, but I am flabbergasted IF they have, after all this time, released it without Dirac.

And what happens if Dirac never makes it at all? Or is significantly different to what customers are expecting? 60 days is outside the normal return window.
marcuslaw likes this.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 07-12-2014 at 06:00 AM.
post #12 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
source or speculation?
Source I hope. The last thing this thread needs is more speculation

post #13 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Source I hope. The last thing this thread needs is more speculation
he's gotta e blowin' it out of the wrong end. there is no indication or official announcement that the units that will be supposedly shipping to customers on Monday do not have full functionality. I am a member of the lounge and have followed xmc-1 threads, both official and unofficial ones, as well as the threads here on avs, and there is no where that i see it officially announced at the time of this post that Dirac will not function as intended. I dont post much, especially at the lounge, but I do lurk.

forum
post #14 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
he's gotta e blowin' it out of the wrong end. there is no indication or official announcement that the units that will be supposedly shipping to customers on Monday do not have full functionality. I am a member of the lounge and have followed xmc-1 threads, both official and unofficial ones, as well as the threads here on avs, and there is no where that i see it officially announced at the time of this post that Dirac will not function as intended. I dont post much, especially at the lounge, but I do lurk.
I just asked the one guy over at the Lounge who has one to confirm that it has Dirac implemented in it.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...ughts-on-xmc-1

I can scarcely believe they would release it without one of its most important features. And like you, I have been following over at the Lounge and seen nothing to indicate that this is correct information.

post #15 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
have the card but I'm really happy with my umc200. I got it six months ago and have it working well in my system. would wait at least six months to see the feedback. can't see spending that kind of cash on a preamp.
Hopefully we will be seeing some independent reviews in the near future.

post #16 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's an excerpt of the email I received:
Quote:
The XMC-1 has finished beta testing and is performing wonderfully! Please note the additional details:
· The Dirac Room Correction firmware is not currently installed on these first units; as promised Dirac will be fully implemented shortly

· In 60 days or less, you will receive:

o Software update for Dirac on a USB flash drive

o Calibration microphone

o Updated user instructions

· Please note: Your XMC-1 is complete and fully functional in all other details
post #17 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 470
post #18 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Any manuals out there?

I wonder if online reviews will wait for the Dirac patch.
post #19 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 170
Quote:
Quote:
The XMC-1 has finished beta testing and is performing wonderfully! Please note the additional details:
· The Dirac Room Correction firmware is not currently installed on these first units; as promised Dirac will be fully implemented shortly

· In 60 days or less, you will receive:

o Software update for Dirac on a USB flash drive

o Calibration microphone

o Updated user instructions

· Please note: Your XMC-1 is complete and fully functional in all other details
:

Since noe of us are XMC owners should we post in this thread?

Most know that I have the UMC-200 and am very satisfied with it. All Emo processors have bugs, however they do not have a negative impact on all users. IMO if you like their processors as you receive them they are the best bargain that I have found.
OTH do not expect much if anything beyond what you initially receive.
WTF would want to buy a processor that is missing the one thing that might make it stand out in performance?
For a start their track record with updates is terrible.
Did the beta units have Dirac? If not then the beta tests are useless. If yes then why can't the units that will ship have it also?
After Dirac is installed to make the unit whole as advertised will owners get another 30 days return privilege?

This is like buying a new car with 1000hp and no steering wheel and having it installed later. Who wants to just sit in the drive way and rev the engine until you can actually test the power on the road?
post #20 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Any manuals out there?

I wonder if online reviews will wait for the Dirac patch.
Manuals were promised for "next week".

It seems to me to be pointless to review it until Dirac is implemented. It is the most exciting feature of the entire unit.

Personally, I would be unhappy to have paid the full $2,000 for a unit which then came with its most important (IMO) feature missing. I’d have wanted to pay, say, $1,000 with the balance when the product is complete and fully functional. On reflection, I'd just prefer to wait for a fully functional product I think.
Djoel likes this.

post #21 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
thanks for the confirmation.

forum
post #22 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Since noe of us are XMC owners should we post in this thread?
I see no reason not to post. In the first post I do say the thread was started for 'would-be' owners as well. Many people may find it helpful to have an informative thread, populated by at least some owners of the unit, so they can learn more and ask questions before they take the plunge.

Quote:
WTF would want to buy a processor that is missing the one thing that might make it stand out in performance?
For a start their track record with updates is terrible.

Didi the beta units have Dirac? If not then the beta tests are useless. If yes then why can't the units that will dhip have it also?
After Dirac is installed to make the unit whole as advertised will owners get another 30 days return privilege?
I tend to agree with you, Mud. It is indeed missing the one thing that might make it stand out. I think it is a big ask to expect people to lay out the full price for a unit that is so crippled, but no doubt many will.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 07-12-2014 at 09:12 AM.
post #23 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Dirac not included would be very disappointing Also did the specs read as all channels full differentially balance or just L&R?

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #24 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I added this to the first post, as a pre-emptive strike:

Finally, can we leave Atmos out of this thread please? The XMC-1 does not have Atmos and that's that. It is what it is. The last thing we want here is for the thread to be derailed by endless discussions about Atmos - there are already dedicated threads on AVS for this.

post #25 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Dirac not included would be very disappointing Also did the specs read as all channels full differentially balance or just L&R?
Just L&R - confirmed in the Audio Precision bench test reports.

post #26 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 89
ok thanks for clarification. About a 1/3 of the way down (sorry I didn't see page numbers) I saw 7.1 analog in to balanced out and that threw me off.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #27 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

No Dirac = No Sale.

forum
post #28 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 170
Quote:
I added this to the first post, as a pre-emptive strike:

Finally, can we leave Atmos out of this thread please? The XMC-1 does not have Atmos and that's that. It is what it is. The last thing we want here is for the thread to be derailed by endless discussions about Atmos - there are already dedicated threads on AVS for this.
We already knew there was no Atmos in the XMC. It is good to hear that you have realized this also.
post #29 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No Dirac = No Sale.
I thought, BICBW, that at their Atlanta show they said they couldn't get Dirac working because of a problem with the hotel Internet connection.

Am I right in thinking that - anyone else remember it? They didn’t mention that maybe they couldn't get Dirac working because Dirac wasn't actually implemented yet.

Just checked - I was right...

KeithL said. on July 2nd, 2014:

"One of the code updates we made in response to the results of testing caused a minor - but somewhat unexpected - glitch in the communications between the Dirac software and the XMC-1. This made it unlikely that we could get both to work together properly over a hotel's limited network. Since the whole point of Dirac is being able to make corrections that are specific to your room, and we weren't at all sure we could get it to run a proper curve for the room at the hotel, we decided there wasn't much point in "demoing" it with a curve that was run somewhere else (and so was wrong for that room)."

Here is the link to that post: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/649317

post #30 of 1483 Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We already knew there was no Atmos in the XMC. It is good to hear that you have realized this also.
I realised it a long time ago Mud. But can we please not discuss Atmos and the XMC-1 in this thread?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page