New receiver, old speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New receiver, old speakers

My home cinema setup is 11 years old. Its working fine and I'm still happy with the way it sounds but the receiver is pre-HDMI and that's becoming more of an inconvenience. I posted here a couple of months back about a replacement receiver and I'm settled on a Marantz SR5008 or possibly the Denon ARV X2100W if the price drops a little. I'm not an expert and I do a lot of reading of various forums. People seem to say that there is no point in an expensive receiver if your speakers are not good enough. I've got no intention of replacing my speakers because I'm happy with them so my question is.... am I wasting money on a SR5008 and should I buy a cheaper receiver?

My current setup is:- Marantz SR5300, Mission M73 mains, Gale 3060b rears and a Gale 20 centre.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10464 Post(s)
Liked: 4844
At a minimum you want to select a model that provides the features/inputs/outputs that you want. If the SR5008 meets that requirement, there ya go. If you don't need the EXT IN inputs or the main zone pre-outs and listen mostly to movies, last year's X2000 or the newer X2100W would likely suit you just as well.

If you think your AVR is defective, refer to the Owner's manual and reset the microprocessor a few times in a row.
Sponsored Links