Budget 7.2 Channel AV Receiver Recommendations - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Budget 7.2 Channel AV Receiver Recommendations

My Onkyo NR609 died this week (HDMI Board issue, which apparently is very very common) and I'm in need of a replacement. I'm no expert (unlike many of you) but perhaps my requirements can narrow the field. My budget, if I had to say, would be $350-$600 but it's flexible.

The receiver is for a dedicated home theater used with:
-AppleTV (primarily)
-BenQ W6000 1080p Projector
-HTPC (Macbook Pro used in the winter months)
-Sonos Connect
-Blu-ray player that doesn't get much use.
-IR repeater (I store all in components in a broom closet, I'm using 2 or 3 IR outputs, but I think it might be expandable to 6)
The space is large roughly 28 x 16'.

What I don't use/have
- Cable or satellite TV
- WiFi, Bluetooth, or streaming services built into the receiver (AppleTV and Sonos cover me there)
- 3D

What I watch:
-Dialog heavy movies (often foreign so spoken word clarity is important)
-Low to Medium sound levels typically

I'm using Onkyo speakers which will be changed when the room is remodeled (Episode 500 In-Wall Speakers perhaps? Plus an in-wall subwoofer or 2)

I use Zone 2 (Powered) for outdoor Bose speakers running Sonos. If push comes to shove, I can just get a cheap $100 receiver to power Zone 2 separately if the only missing link in a contending receiver is the lack of a powered zone 2.

My thoughts on the Onkyo (with some not-so-great speakers)
- Dialog not as clear as I would like
- Surround sound was Meeeeh at best
- Zone 2 was a little painful to setup, so once set up I just left it on all the time (unhooked for winter though)

I'm a bit gun shy of Onkyo given the vast amount of HDMI issues. I don't have any experience with other brands, and very little experience with AV components as a whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

A little less direction than I was hoping for but hopefully I'll be able to find a good receiver that lasts a few more years than 2.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I researched HDMI 2.0... I'm not sure this will benefit my current BenQ W6000, or my 17" Macbook Pro (late 2011) with Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but getting 6-7 years out of the receiver would be nice.

So HDMI 2.0?
And again, unless I can think of a situation where streaming Wi-Fi or Bluetooth is a good feature for a basement HT, these features will remain unimportant.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanv8 View Post
I researched HDMI 2.0... I'm not sure this will benefit my current BenQ W6000, or my 17" Macbook Pro (late 2011) with Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but getting 6-7 years out of the receiver would be nice.

So HDMI 2.0?
And again, unless I can think of a situation where streaming Wi-Fi or Bluetooth is a good feature for a basement HT, these features will remain unimportant.
Like you I'm not an expert at all, but I was also looking to upgrade my older Yamaha RX-371 (mainly for network connectivity, more HDMI inputs, and Zone-2) and just ordered a RX-V677 which should arrive on Friday. I initially looked into the RX-V675 but then found a great deal on rakuten.com for the 677 for the same price (unfortunately that seems to be gone already). The 675 fits right into your budget, but even the 677 at it's regular price is still within your range. They both have Zone-2 output, front HDMI/MHL and USB, Remote Apps for iOS/Android, Airplay, and dialog lift / dialog level adjustment (though since I don't have it yet can't say how good it works) among other things that might be important to you. They also have 4K passthrough/upscaling (the 677 has HDMI 2.0) should you need it in the future. Granted I'm not an audiophile and haven't even heard the receiver yet, but I was always satisfied with Yamaha equipment and in general have read good reviews about their mid-range models. There are certainly other brands that might be equally good or better for the price, I just wanted to give you my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Denon X2000 at $399 is a solid choice.
lemonslush likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^ What he said.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the Pioneer VSX-1123-K a good choice? Amazon has it for $349.99 right now.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by comojoe View Post
Is the Pioneer VSX-1123-K a good choice? Amazon has it for $349.99 right now.
I recently have been doing a decent amount of research. For price and quality Yamaha or Denon are fantastic choices. The Yamaha I would say is better for music and brighter the Denon more bass emphasis and home theater application. I own the 675 with a kef 3001 setup and it gets plenty loud and sounds great with a second zone out on my deck. A friend of mine just picked up the x2000 from crutchfield on clearance for 360 and it sounds excellent. Just as loud as the Yamaha, different UI, I would say a better HT receiver over the yamaha but both are great.

Pioneer I have issues with I owned 3 in the past year. TWo in the past week as the first one out of the box didnt work, the second one sc-71 the sub didnt work when using air play. Pioneer customer support is horrible and told me it was broken. I returned it and got another, I later found out it was just a configuration change that needed to be done with the audio mode. ( aparently stereo on airplay even with the SUB set to PLUS wont give signal to the sub). The new sc-71 I got doesnt sound as nice, oddly its louder as I tested it with my DB meter compared to my last sc-71 both with same db settings on the speakers and reference volume measurement. This one is having connectivity issues to the network and wont sync with the mobile app. WHich if worked is excellent I will add.

Pioneers, poor warranty, poor customer support and mediocre room correction would make me stay away from them. Yamahas customer support is fanastic, i never dealt with Denon personally but have heard great things. HK are also decent recievers and sound very nice, older ones had HDMI issues and you can get a great deal on the 3500 if you look around.

If it was my money, and you have smaller speakers and plan on listening to music a good amount and watch movies I would go with Yamaha. If its mostly movies and you have larger speakers I would go with the Denon x2000.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM

Liked: 13
On the flip side of that last post, I'm on my 3rd Pioneer (currently have the VSX-1121) that I've had over the years and I've had no problems. The VSX-1123 is a solid deal. The VSX-1124 is supposed to drop on 7/21 @ $599 and adds a nice plethora of new features as well, including true .2 capability with sub equalization as well.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with that Denon either.

Living Room: Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D 70", AVR-X4000, HTPC, iNUKE 3000DSP, DSP1124P, PS4, PS3, 360, Wii-U, DefTech SM65's, Mythos Eight, SM55 surrounds, Twin Marty's under construction.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

So I got the Denon X2000. At one point I probably crossed it off the list because it only had 1 Optical Input (I need 2 for the Macbook and Apple TV) So I guess I need a switcher. The NR609 seemed to have many more sound protocols (THX, Neo 6, Dolby II X... at least 5 or 6 from my memory). The X2000 from my brief experience without delving far into the manual only has Dolby II X. Whatever, I'm no audiophile anyway. The NR609 does seem to have more inputs/outputs etc so I'm not sure if I downgraded here, but I'll probably hold out for another few years when 4K projectors drop in price and upgrade at that point.

Everything else was straight forward, same Audyssey setup etc.

Maybe it was just because I hadn't watched the 150" screen in a week, but unless I'm crazy the image looks sharper. Is that just me or could there be a reason for this?

I'll give my wife a blind study to see what she thinks.

Going to give it a first go now.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-18-2014, 10:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3706 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
^^
The 609 uses the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the subwoofer, while the X2000 uses the 3rd highest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT which can EQ the subwoofer and has 16x higher speaker filter resolution than 2EQ. If you press/hold the MOVIE or MUSIC button on the AVR remote, you'll have access to the other surround modes. Also, review posts #3-6 in the 2013 Denon E/X Series thread for a lot of very helpful information on your new X2000.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av receiver , avr , Home Theater