What is the absolute best AVR I can get for $400? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the absolute best AVR I can get for $400?

I finally have the money to get my AVR and am having second thoughts.

I was planning on getting the Yamaha RX-V675 on amazon for $400(my max $). But I just read all the 1star reviews and it made me hesitant.

Just thought I'd ask you guys, what is the best possible AVR for that price?

I will be running a 5.1 setup but want the ability to bump up to 7.1-7.2 in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Guess I should also mention that it is not within connecting distance if the internet router.

I plan on running my ps3 and direct tv genie box as well.
post #3 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Why didn't people like the 675? In the past the 600 series has been well regarded. $400 is a good price for one for sure.

I read some concerns, and some were of interest. One person swapped it for a Yamaha to fix a cable box issue. IMO, that's probably an issue with the cable box based on experience, but apparently Onkyo did play better with his brand of cable box.

Another person complained about YPAO being inconsistent. This doesn't surprise me, but it has never stopped me from buying Yamaha in the past.

I personally like the brand, and would buy another one. But there's other brands like Denon that are well regarded if you are uncomfortable with the review comments

"But this one goes up to 11"

Last edited by MichaelJHuman; 07-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
post #4 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODirty View Post
Guess I should also mention that it is not within connecting distance if the internet router.

I plan on running my ps3 and direct tv genie box as well.
There are solutions to this, but they cost money. For example, I put in a switch connected to an Apple Airport to solve my issue.

Pretty sure there are reasonably costed solutions these days.

Some receivers do have built in wi-fi, or the ability to plug something in to make them wireless if you wanted to look around for other options

post #5 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
There are solutions to this, but they cost money. For example, I put in a switch connected to an Apple Airport to solve my issue.

Pretty sure there are reasonably costed solutions these days.

Some receivers do have built in wi-fi, or the ability to plug something in to make them wireless if you wanted to look around for other options
Do I need to have the receiver connected to the internet if I have the ps3 connected to wifi?

We want to use the ps3 for bluray and netflix, and direct tv for football games.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Do I need to have the receiver connected to the internet if I have the ps3 connected to wifi?

We want to use the ps3 for bluray and netflix, and direct tv for football games.
You can skip the internet features if you have them on another box. There's so much duplication now. I can watch netflix on some many devices now, it's kind of humorous.

The receiver may have internet control, if so that's nice but also optional. I use my internet control to control the volume of my Yamaha that's in the bedroom while working in my office. Pretty handy for me, but you may have no such need.

post #7 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can skip the internet features if you have them on another box. There's so much duplication now. I can watch netflix on some many devices now, it's kind of humorous.

The receiver may have internet control, if so that's nice but also optional. I use my internet control to control the volume of my Yamaha that's in the bedroom while working in my office. Pretty handy for me, but you may have no such need.
Ya I really don't see the need if I am using the ps3. Just wanted to make sure this is the right receiver for me. This is my first ht.
post #8 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Why didn't people like the 675? In the past the 600 series has been well regarded. $400 is a good price for one for sure.

I read some concerns, and some were of interest. One person swapped it for a Yamaha to fix a cable box issue. IMO, that's probably an issue with the cable box based on experience, but apparently Onkyo did play better with his brand of cable box.

Another person complained about YPAO being inconsistent. This doesn't surprise me, but it has never stopped me from buying Yamaha in the past.

I personally like the brand, and would buy another one. But there's other brands like Denon that are well regarded if you are uncomfortable with the review comments

Ya yamaha seems like a great brand for the price range I am in. Every product will have good and bad reviews I suppose. I guess I just want to see if anyone here has a reason why I should not buy this AVR for my setup.

Also, do I just connect the ps3 and cable box directly into the AVR and run the hdmi output from the AVR to the projector? Or would it be better to plug the box directly into the projector via hdmi?
post #9 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
I finally have the money to get my AVR and am having second thoughts.

I was planning on getting the Yamaha RX-V675 on amazon for $400(my max $). But I just read all the 1star reviews and it made me hesitant.

Just thought I'd ask you guys, what is the best possible AVR for that price?

I will be running a 5.1 setup but want the ability to bump up to 7.1-7.2 in the future.
Denon X2000 for $349 would be my choice.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #10 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Could you elaborate why?
post #11 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I can not speak to how good it is but I was in a Best Buy today and saw the Sony 1040 clearance for $323. It was the floor model and I could have gotten an additional 10% off. I did learn they can also order it to ship to your home at that price. Might be worth considering. It is one that I am thinking about because if you can use a 10% Best Buy movers coupon on it and the Amex $25 statement credit offer if you tweet #BestBuy Amex with your synced card it could be a pretty slick deal.

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 07-16-2014 at 04:01 PM.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Where are you finding the Denon X2000 for $349?
post #13 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Could you elaborate why?
Although I've never used any room correction software, the general consensus seems that Audyssey gives the best overall results for most. Plus it's the only one at this price point that does any EQing of the sub.

Plus the Denon allows for separate crossovers for the L/R, center and surrounds. The Yamaha does not. That would be fine if your are using 5 identical speakers and always will be, but for me and many users I/we use speakers with different capabilities for the L/R, center and surrounds.

The inclusion of Audyssey XT and the ability to set separate crossovers would be the main reasons for me to pick the Denon over any of the other <$400 AVRs.

You can get it from Crutchfield where you get free shipping and a 60 day trial period.
jproy13 and ODirty like this.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #14 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Where are you finding the Denon X2000 for $349?
Oops, my bad. $399.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2...nd.html?tp=179

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #15 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Although I've never used any room correction software, the general consensus seems that Audyssey gives the best overall results for most. Plus it's the only one at this price point that does any EQing of the sub.

Plus the Denon allows for separate crossovers for the L/R, center and surrounds. The Yamaha does not. That would be fine if your are using 5 identical speakers and always will be, but for me and many users I/we use speakers with different capabilities for the L/R, center and surrounds.

The inclusion of Audyssey XT and the ability to set separate crossovers would be the main reasons for me to pick the Denon over any of the other <$400 AVRs.

You can get it from Crutchfield where you get free shipping and a 60 day trial period.
That is very helpful, I am getting all infinity speakers, except for the sub.
post #16 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ya that's how much it is on amazon. And I have prime so I usually use them
post #17 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ya that's how much it is on amazon. And I have prime so I usually use them
I have prime too but would still order this from crutchfield. You get 60 days and can return it without penalty if you don't like it. With Amazon, unless there is something wrong with it or you lie and say there is, they charge return shipping at the minimum.

Crutchfield's CS is about the best there is too.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #18 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have prime too but would still order this from crutchfield. You get 60 days and can return it without penalty if you don't like it. With Amazon, unless there is something wrong with it or you lie and say there is, they charge return shipping at the minimum.

Crutchfield's CS is about the best there is too.
Awesome. I'll have to try them out then.
post #19 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 3370
Something open-box from last year's models, since all the new 2014 AVRs just came out. Find a few good deals, then check the reviews.

Mark Henninger
post #20 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome. I'll have to try them out then.
They don't carry the Yamaha 675

I will get my speakers from them though
post #21 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
They don't carry the Yamaha 675

I will get my speakers from them though
What Infinity's do you plan to get? Have you considered the AJ Pioneer 52's? I have been considering both and read over at audioholics that the Pioneer's are better.
post #22 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What Infinity's do you plan to get? Have you considered the AJ Pioneer 52's? I have been considering both and read over at audioholics that the Pioneer's are better.
Well I'm on a TIGHT budget and we have a small ht so we wanted to get bookshelf speakers.

Front r/l: infinity Primus p163's
Rear r/l: infinity Primus p153's
Center: infinity Primus pc351
Sub: still undetermined.

I already bought the 153's for $75 each on amazon and I am happy with them.

I'm getting the 163's off crutchfeild for $85 each so my budget is about half of your haha. I won't get the rest of the speakers for a few more weeks but I've read up and I think that setup will work great for my room. Check out my other posts if you wanna see the room, or message me.
post #23 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you have the money, I'm sure they are better. But for what I'm spending, I think infinity is solid.
post #24 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Well I'm on a TIGHT budget and we have a small ht so we wanted to get bookshelf speakers.

Front r/l: infinity Primus p163's
Rear r/l: infinity Primus p153's
Center: infinity Primus pc351
Sub: still undetermined.

I already bought the 153's for $75 each on amazon and I am happy with them.

I'm getting the 163's off crutchfeild for $85 each so my budget is about half of your haha. I won't get the rest of the speakers for a few more weeks but I've read up and I think that setup will work great for my room. Check out my other posts if you wanna see the room, or message me.
I don't want you to get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting there is/was anything wrong with your choices. I only suggested taking a look at the Pioneers because they are on sale quite frequently and thought you would come out cheaper going that route if you liked the sound. But, if you don't want the F52 Pioneer floorstanders, I would pass also. I don't believe I would go with just the Pioneer 22 bookshelves (without the towers).
post #25 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
If you have the money, I'm sure they are better. But for what I'm spending, I think infinity is solid.
I have seen them recommended quite often and I am sure they are great. But, you are way overvaluing the price of the Pioneers. I have seen the 52 towers go for $80 each and the 22 bookshelves for $80 a pair or less.

But, you are getting great prices on those Infinity's as well. Just didn't want you to see you eliminate something because of the price misconception.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't want you to get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting there is/was anything wrong with your choices. I only suggested taking a look at the Pioneers because they are on sale quite frequently and thought you would come out cheaper going that route if you liked the sound. But, if you don't want the F52 Pioneer floorstanders, I would pass also. I don't believe I would go with just the Pioneer 22 bookshelves (without the towers).
Ohhhh no trust me I got what you were saying. If I had the extra cash I'd be getting something more expensive haha.
post #27 of 36 Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have seen them recommended quite often and I am sure they are great. But, you are way overvaluing the price of the Pioneers. I have seen the 52 towers go for $80 each and the 22 bookshelves for $80 a pair or less.

But, you are getting great prices on those Infinity's as well. Just didn't want you to see you eliminate something because of the price misconception.
Ok, I looked them up on on amazon when you mentioned them and they are priced at $127 each. That is where the overvalue estimate came from. Amazons prices fluctuate a bit, I've noticed
post #28 of 36 Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Amazon has real time pricing. You can actually chart the price change overtime on websites like camelcamelcamel.com. I use it to notify me when the price of a specific item drops to my specified price point, very useful if you dont min waiting for a deal.

The 675,677 is a fantastic receiver. I love mine and so doesn't my wife. Its easy to use, and the mobile app is very intuitive IMO. It has plenty of power to fill a large room, we have our's setup with 3 kef 3001 satellite speaks and 4 subs. It fills sound in a space of over 4000 sqrft. Denon x2000 is great, but I went with the yamaha for this setup due to the smaller speaker size and the fact that system is for half music and movies. If its just movies I would say go with the x2000.
ODirty likes this.
post #29 of 36 Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 171
post #30 of 36 Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Denon x2000
Is the new Denon AVR-S700W as good of a deal as the Denon x2000?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page