Newbie need help on selecting the right amp for my totem tribe III - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie need help on selecting the right amp for my totem tribe III

Hi fellow forum member. I've been a long time reader and now just starting to build my own HT. I purchases 3 Totem Tribe III for front L/R/C and now I am looking to purchase the correct amp to power these guys. I've read some conflicting answer to what amount of power is needed to power these. Some article says to use the exact amount recommended, where other says you should go 150% on the amp for the speakers. As you can see, I am a newbie to all this. So any recommendation to which amp will be greatly appreciate. I've included a link for the specs on the totem.. Thanks.

http://totemacoustic.com/en/hi-fi/on...n-wall-on-wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
They are 4 ohm speakers, so you need an amp that is rated for 4 ohms. You don't give a price range. Parasound amps are well thought of here.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
They are 4 ohm speakers, so you need an amp that is rated for 4 ohms. You don't give a price range. Parasound amps are well thought of here.
Thanks for your input. Budget wise I would like to stay under 1k if possible but can stretch to 1.5k if need to be. Thanks
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Check out Emotiva and Outlaw.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
I would look on Audiogon for a used Parasound. Indeed, you do need a 4 ohm capable amp. I would stay away from Emotiva. I bought an amp from them a few years back. It sounded OK at moderate volumes. But the louder you turned it up, the more harsh and fatiguing it sounded. I have a Parasound Halo A 52 in my system now. It's only 125 watts x5. But, it is a high current amp, that is definitely 4 ohm capable, and rated at 225 watts at 4 ohms. Unlike the Emotiva, it never runs out of steam. Unfortunately the A 52 is a discontinued model.

I am giving high consideration to adding the Totem Tribe Threes, to my front three in my system. I would appreciate any feedback you have about these speakers.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
I would look on Audiogon for a used Parasound. Indeed, you do need a 4 ohm capable amp. I would stay away from Emotiva. I bought an amp from them a few years back. It sounded OK at moderate volumes. But the louder you turned it up, the more harsh and fatiguing it sounded. I have a Parasound Halo A 52 in my system now. It's only 125 watts x5. But, it is a high current amp, that is definitely 4 ohm capable, and rated at 225 watts at 4 ohms. Unlike the Emotiva, it never runs out of steam. Unfortunately the A 52 is a discontinued model.

I am giving high consideration to adding the Totem Tribe Threes, to my front three in my system. I would appreciate any feedback you have about these speakers.
Thanks for all the feedback..
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
I've looked at outlaw. My question is how much power should the amp be? I know the speaker says 200w, but through reading different articles, some says your amp should power 50% more then what the speaker can handle so the power is not distorted. I want to make sure I get the right one so I don't ruin these speakers. Thanks.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrx7 View Post
I've looked at outlaw. My question is how much power should the amp be? I know the speaker says 200w, but through reading different articles, some says your amp should power 50% more then what the speaker can handle so the power is not distorted. I want to make sure I get the right one so I don't ruin these speakers. Thanks.
You want to be sure the amp is four ohm capable. Also, the Tribe Threes have much more bass than your typical 4 inch woofer. The torrent woofer is hand made. There is over 10 hours labor in one woofer! I called Totem and inquired about these speakers. They informed me that one replacement woofer is over $750, should you ever need to replace one, and it is not covered by warranty. Example being abuse, or not buying from an authorized dealer.

On a good note, they also said that these Torrent woofers are virtually bulletproof ! But as we all know, anything has it's limits.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page