Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tube amp cracking noise

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and don't have a lot of experience with tube amplifiers.
I own a Yarland FV34C tube amp and have a problem with this one.

From time to time it makes an annoying cracking sound, this noise also happens when the volume is completely zero.
It also doesn't matter whether I select the aux, CD or line input.

http://picosong.com/PMJz/

Does anyone have an idea what this can be? If more information is needed, please let me know.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Could be any number of things. Bad tube, bad coupling capacitor, noisy rail, etc. Have you contacted Yarland?

Does it appear on both channels? If so, for starters I would swap driver and output tubes between channels since it is independent of the volume and input selector controls (indicating the problem is after those controls). See if it switches channels when you swap tubes around. The catch is that pre-driver and driver stages probably use the same tube for both channels. If you have spare tubes, swap then in and see if the problem goes away. Most tube amp problems are caused by the tubes...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Could be any number of things. Bad tube, bad coupling capacitor, noisy rail, etc. Have you contacted Yarland?

Does it appear on both channels? If so, for starters I would swap driver and output tubes between channels since it is independent of the volume and input selector controls (indicating the problem is after those controls). See if it switches channels when you swap tubes around. The catch is that pre-driver and driver stages probably use the same tube for both channels. If you have spare tubes, swap then in and see if the problem goes away. Most tube amp problems are caused by the tubes...
I mailed them today, will have to wait a while for them to responce (no dealer around here, not anymore...).
It appears on one channel, I'll try to swap them and see if that's the problem.

Thanks for your reply
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

NP. I meant to say "If not, for starters..." -- if it is on only one channel, swap the driver tubes and see if the problems follows the tube. Or just replace them. Same with output tubes, but they may be matched pairs (swap them as a set) and you may have to re-bias the amp when you swap the outputs. Chances are it is just a bad tube.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
NP. I meant to say "If not, for starters..." -- if it is on only one channel, swap the driver tubes and see if the problems follows the tube. Or just replace them. Same with output tubes, but they may be matched pairs (swap them as a set) and you may have to re-bias the amp when you swap the outputs. Chances are it is just a bad tube.
It seems like the problem follows the (output) tubes .
Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Good, now you know what to replace! Replace them as a set; they may (probably do) need to be matched (check your manual). Lots of places sell tubes.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good, now you know what to replace! Replace them as a set; they may (probably do) need to be matched (check your manual). Lots of places sell tubes.
The manual doesn't say they need to be matched but it do say "bias Voltage State: Self-bias".
Does this mean they don't need to be matched?

Regards
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably not.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page