Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The joy of budget audio

I had bought an RX-V375 to test. I wanted to know what the lowest cost Yamaha receiver sounded like. Other than an unexpected difference in volume setting vs SPL, I could not complain about it's sound quality.

A friend was interesting in improving sound. His setup was a TV for audio.

As I had the Yamaha available, and he was interesting, I suggested he could start with that. He bought some affordable Polk speakers, and a Hsu STF?. We set it up tonight. We did run into an issue with the Wii, which lacks HDMI. If you have a Wii, I do suggest buying the cheapest model which properly handles component video to HDMI, and be sure it as the ability to handle the stereo analog connection to the Wii such that it can be paired with the component video signal ( Wiis are such a pain.)

Anyway, other than the Wii wrinkles, we hooked it up and he seemed really happy. That's all he needed really. Nothing fancy. Quality bookshelf speakers and a good enough powered subwoofer. So don't worry so much about the people here with pricey systems. Nothing wrong with them, but you can get excellent sound on a budget. I think his total spend was under 1k for a 5.1 setup ( receiver under 200, 150 per bookshelf pair, 150 for the center and 400 or so for the sub.) And no need for buyer's remorse

Obviously some of us love to spend more, and nothing wrong with that either. It's a big world.

By the way, if you are going to hook up a system, do some more homework if you have some non HDMI device, buy more speaker cable than you think you need and buy banana plugs sufficient for every channel ( 4 per channel, unless the receiver side has spring clips.) This would have improved the odds for a smoother install

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I own two yamaha receivers. One of them is RX-V467 and the sound is rock solid. A little bit on the forward side though but I still like it.

I have been trying to help out some of my friends and they don't want to spend even a $1K for it. They currently have box solutions and want to upgrade.

If you are patient and keep looking on craigslist or ebay, I am sure you can build a decent system consisting of yamaha/denon/onkoyo/HK and some def-tech/polk/klipsch speakers for around 500-600. Plenty of people are looking to sell their old stuff.

BTW, one smart thing you friend did was to spend some good money on a subwoofer. Good choice. I hope to own HSU or some ID subwoofers one day.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I suggest Hsu to him based on the price and what I know of them. Looks like a well made piece of gear for the price.

I have two Emo subs which I bought when they were on sale years ago

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page