AVS Forum banner

The *** Official Marantz NR-1505/1605 *** Slimline Receiver Owners Thread

73K views 529 replies 113 participants last post by  rocky1 
#1 · (Edited)
The *Official 2014 Marantz Non-Atmos* NR-1605/SR-5009/SR-6009 Receiver Owners Thread

Marantz US has made details of the 2014 NR-1605 model available. This is an owner's thread and for those who would like to be owners of the Marantz slimline receivers.

NOTES:
  • NO PRICE TALK PLEASE. This is thread is meant for technical discussions/issues. If you want to discuss great deals, use the Private Message (PM) function, start a new thread such as "great deals for the 2014 Marantz slimline receivers", or better yet call jdsmoothie for a quote (see post #3) for details.
  • Does not decode Dolby ATMOS. If you want this feature, you'll have to step-up to the SR-7009 model of receivers or to the pre/pro range; i.e. AV-7702/8802.
  • The room equalization offered for 2014 slimline Marantz receivers is Audyssey MultiEQ. If you want the higher end Audyssey versions such as XT or XT32 (with sub EQ HT), you'll have to step up to the SR series of receivers or go with the pre/pro range.
The NR-1605 is a 7 channel AVR and has a MSRP USD$699. Product details from Marantz US website is here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1605

Specification of the NR-1605.

• Dimensions in H x W x D = 4.2" (not including antenna. +2.6" with) x 17.3" x 14..8"
  • Weight = 19 lbs
  • Number of amp channels = 7
  • Max power with 2-channels driven at lowest THD (0.08%) = 50 W
  • Number of HDMI inputs=8 (7 at back + 1 at front)
  • Number of HDMI outputs = 1 (has ARC feature)
  • Number of USB port(s) = 1 (front panel that can be used for connecting external storage or iDevice)
  • Number of digital inputs = 2 (1 optical + 1 coax)
  • Number of analogue inputs = 3 (RCA type)
  • Number of composite video inputs = 3 (RCA type)
  • Number of composite video outputs = 1 (RCA type)
  • Number of component video inputs = 2 (RCA type)
  • Number of component video outputs = 1 (RCA type)
  • Up-scaling of input video signals to 4k? = Yes up to 30/25/24Hz
  • AM/FM terminals and antenna available = Yes
  • Remote 12V DC trigger out = Yes (150mA max. current)
  • Wired LAN connection available = Yes
  • Wireless LAN connection available = Yes (2.4 GHz only)
  • Blue tooth connectivity available = Yes
  • Zone 2 support = Yes. Can use analogue RCA output or the amp assign feature on the power terminals

Owner's manual of the NR-1605 here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1605

What's new in the 2014 models compared to previous year's model?
Remote has now Smart Select button (4 numbers) that allow custom settings to be engaged.

The NR-1605 has the following additional features compared to the 2013 model (NR-1604):

• Pass through for 4k 60/50Hz signal - not supported on front HDMI input.
  • One additional HDMI input
  • Built in WiFi
  • Built in bluetooth - limited to A2DP & AVRCP protocol.
  • DC trigger output (Yeah!)
  • Support for DSD files - via network, USB and HDMI. DSD is not possible in Zone 2.
  • Support for AIFF files via network and USB.
  • Support for 4 ohm speakers.
  • ECO Mode.
  • ISF Day/Night setting
Back of panel picture:

Network reset instruction given by jdsmoothie in post number 219.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The SR-5009 is a 7 channel AVR and has a MSRP USD$899.

Product details from Marantz US website is here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=&ProductId=SR5009

Specification of the SR-5009.
  • Dimensions in H x W x D = 6.3" (not including antenna. +2.7" with) x 17.3" x 13.6"
  • Weight = 22.9 lbs
  • Max power with 2-channels driven at lowest THD (0.08%) = 100 W
  • Number of HDMI outputs = 2 (one has ARC feature)
  • Number of USB port(s) = 1 (front panel that can be used for connecting external storage or iDevice)
  • Number of digital inputs = 4 (2 optical + 2 coax)
  • Number of analogue inputs = 5 RCA type (4 at back + 1 at front)
  • Number of composite video inputs = 3 RCA type (2 at back + 1 at front)
  • Number of composite video outputs = 1 RCA type
  • Number of component video inputs = 2 RCA type
  • Number of component video outputs = 1 RCA type
  • 7.1 channel audio input = Yes. RCA type
  • 7.1 channel audio output = Yes. RCA type
  • Number of sub channel output = 2 (Internal Y-split and not 2 independent channels)
  • Zone 2 support = Yes. Can use analogue RCA output or the amp assign feature on the power terminals
  • Room Equalization type = Audyssey MultiEQ XT with 8 positions.

Owner's manual of the SR-5009 is here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=&ProductId=SR5009

What's new in the 2014 models compared to previous year's model?

Remote has now Smart Select button (4 numbers) that allow custom settings to be engaged.

The SR-5009 has the following additional features compared to the 2013 model (SR-5008):
  • One additional HDMI input.
  • One additional HDMI output.
  • Built in WiFi.
  • Built in bluetooth - A2DP & AVRCP protocol.
  • Support for DSD files - via network, USB and HDMI. DSD is not possible in Zone 2.
  • Support for 4 ohm speakers via current limiter.
  • ECO Mode.
  • ISF Day/Night setting

Back of panel picture:

#3 · (Edited)
The SR-6009 is a 7 channel AVR and has a MSRP USD$1,299.

Product details from Marantz US website is here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/P...?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=&ProductId=SR6009

Specification of the SR-6009.
  • Dimensions in H x W x D = 6.34" x 17.32" x 15.28" (height does not include antenna)
  • Weight = 25.14 lbs
  • Max power with 2-channels driven at lowest THD (0.08%) = 110 W
  • Number of HDMI outputs = 2 (one has ARC feature)
  • Number of digital inputs = 4 (2 optical + 2 coax)
  • Number of analogue inputs = 6 RCA type (5 at back + 1 at front)
  • Number of composite video inputs = 3 RCA type (2 at back + 1 at front)
  • Number of composite video outputs = 1 RCA type
  • Number of component video inputs = 2 RCA type
  • Number of component video outputs = 1 RCA type
  • 7.1 channel audio input = Yes. RCA type
  • 7.1 channel audio output = Yes. RCA type
  • Number of sub channel output = 2 (Internal Y-split and not 2 independent channels)
  • Room Equalization type = Audyssey MultiEQ XT with 8 positions.

Owner's manual of the SR-6009 is here: http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/P...?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=&ProductId=SR6009

What's new in the 2014 model compared to 2013 (SR-5008)?

• One additional HDMI input.
  • Built in WiFi.
  • Built in bluetooth - A2DP & AVRCP protocol.
  • Support for 4 ohm speakers via current limiter.
  • ECO Mode.
  • ISF Day/Night setting

Back of panel picture:

#4 · (Edited)
Since Marantz and Denon are owned by the same parent holding company, a lot of the features available in the 2014 Denon models are replicated to Marantz models.

jdsmoothie and batpig have started the 2014 Denon thread. Many questions related to features, settings, set-up of the Martanz slimline receivers can be found in post #3 of the 2014 Denon thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1531868-official-2014-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html#post24721978

I'll just refer everyone to the good work that jdsmoothie and batpig have already done. Please click on the link and have a read of post #3 as it may answer your questions.

If you're looking to purchase a Marantz slimline receiver (or any Denon/Marantz gear), AVS is an authorized dealer. Call jdsmoothie on 585-645-1006 for competitive quote.:)

Firmware updates:
15-Oct-2014: Change log and 1st update advised by jdsmoothie in post number 55.
3-Feb-2015: Change log and 2nd update advised by jdsmoothie in post number 142.
13-Apr-2015. Change log and 3rd up-date advised by sys4096 in post number 233.

#6 ·
The first post says this doesn't have MultiEQ XT. However, the Marantz website says it does, under the Audyssey Silver banner, along with Subwoofer EQ.

Which is correct?

#8 ·
The first post says this doesn't have MultiEQ XT. However, the Marantz website says it does, under the Audyssey Silver banner, along with Subwoofer EQ.

Which is correct?
As jdmsoothie said, only MultiEQ is provided on the NR-1605. Previous generations of Marantz slimline receivers only used MultiEQ. I have the same setup for Audyssey on the NR-1504. It's the same on the NR-1604.

Page 177 of the owner's manual for the NR-1605 says MultiEQ for the 6 position setup.

Marantz website needs up-dating.

#10 · (Edited)
Hi konigsberg,

I've had the occasional freeze of my slimline receiver. Tried to play 2 sources at the same time through HDMI inputs.

A soft reset solved the issue for me.

The soft reset is simple: unplug the power cord and wait for an hour. Then plug in the power cord and turn on the receiver.

#13 ·
I have not yet made a conclusive decision on the 1605. While I somewhat share your view of negative posting vs positive, my experience on Amazon is that on many things I've looked at the positives far outweigh the negative reviews. With that in mind I went back to look at Amazon again because it is not a simple 50% negative reviews because 3 of the reviews involve 2 units each, so that out of 9 units 4 were freezing up, 2 were dead(One after 2 days and the replacement unit was DOA; possibly shipped him back the same unit which would then speak badly of customer service). Two thirds of the units had significant issues. Of course this is a small sample of all the 1605s shipped and maybe time will paint a different picture.

Here are some other Marantz units to see if there was a negative bias:

Stars 1605 1403 1504 5008 7008

..4........2.......9..... 9........6........2
..2........1.......4......1....... 2....... 0

On Best buy there are two 5 star and two 4 star ratings for the 1605, which in the end leaves me wondering on what I will do :)

Sorry for all the periods, I need to figure out how to do columns!

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend.

#14 ·
^Matt2026,

If this is your first time purchasing an AVR, I can understand you are worried about some of the negative feedback. Just go with an authorised dealer that's got a generous returns policy and you give some peace of mind. Check the warranty period being offered and ask for an extension if you're willing to pay for it.

The other thing to keep in mind is help support. There are few manufacturers of modern AVRs that have good technical / customer service. Forums such as AVS fill that gap. Jdsmoothie / batpig are the experts when it comes to Denon/Marantz receivers. I doubt you'll be able to tap into that knowledge base at Amazon.

If you can find another slimline receiver that has the same or better features at a lower cost and has been around for a while, I suggest you purchase that instead.

#15 ·
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input.

My Yamaha DSP A1000, 1991 vintage, served me well for 20 years. Had DolbyPro, the analog version, and synthesized listening environments. Gads, I just found the receipt, $1993.96! That's in 1991 dollars, but back then I also had a job ;-)

I've read well over a 1000 posts here since July and one of the things that stuck with me was how much the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 improves the sound... Of course the price point climbs significantly to get it. Several AVRs that stuck with me included the Denon AVR4520CI, which a number folks are really fond of and has the X32. Of course the $2500 price tag was more than I wanted to pay, even if they are 2014 dollars. At two o'clock this morning I found it offered for $999.98 at BB. I went over this morning and checked it out in the Magnolia section and they had one unit in stock, BB had none but said 3-5 day for pick-up. So, I used my $55 in points and bought it even though it does not meet the slim-line size I would have preferred. While not lower in cost it is not much of a stretch from the 1605 price and it's a 9.2 unit I figure it may be worth a bit more also because most of the software gremlins have been sorted out and I hope to use it as long as my old Yamaha - not counting on that though as I am in my 70's now ;)

Take care,

#18 ·
I have a question on the 1605...

I listened to one at a Magnolia store and to me when comparing to a 7008 it sounded very very good. I could not really hear a difference. However if I compared it to a Yamaha or Pioneer I could hear a clear difference, the 1605 just sounds better. to me it is like the artist is in the room in front of me.
1605 has all the features I need and it would be a huge upgrade to my 12 year old non-HDMI Receiver I have today.

Is there a big difference in sound quality? I never came close to maxing out my 12 year old Receiver (granted it was 80 watts but not top of the line receiver more second rate class in that brand, Yamaha so not Aventage more V series).

My current speakers, floor standing Focals, are rated at 125 Watts but my take it will sound great with 1605 rather than having to step up to 5009.

Am I off here? Really like the slim profile provided sound is the same without going really loud.

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

#19 · (Edited)
Hi nph,

Before answering your question, would like to ask for some additional information on your setup.

How big is your room? Dimensions please; front wall to back wall length, side wall to side wall length, floor to ceiling length.

Where do you sit in the room with respect to the front sound stage speakers? This is referred to as the Main Listening Position (MLP).

How many speakers do you have? Make is Focal, how about model number? How close are the floor standers to the walls?

Once the above info is provided, a handy online calculator will determine if the NR-1605 is enough here: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

The objective is to aim for peak SPL of 105dB at the MLP.

Edit: Forgot to ask, do you have a sub?

#24 ·
The AR-PR808 is an 8"sub with 150W plate amp. The -3dB is at 50Hz at the low end and 150Hz the upper. 10% distortion on the amp is a bit high at its rated output. Initial thinking is that may / will struggle filling the room with bass and be able to reach 20Hz. If the intent is to keep the sub, you may want to carry out a low frequency sweep (15Hz to 300Hz) to confirm the sub response in the room.:)

I would check with Acoustic Research and confirm a single AR-PR808 is okay for the 3,000 cu. ft. room without the risk of over driving the sub beyond it's excursion limits.

#26 ·
Thanks, really appreciate your insight here!

Two questions:
1) How did you find the sensitivity for my Cobalt 816?
I found details of your Focal Cobalt 816s here: http://www.audiophile.org/archive/l...ocal-jmlab-cobalt-816-25way-915db-floorstand/, let me know if this isn't the right Focal Cobalt 816s model that you have.

2) Also how do I carry out "a low frequency sweep"?
You will need a windows laptop, calibrated USB mic, mic boom stand and the following step-by-step guide here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...ues-how-interpret-graphs-14.html#post22823228 done by AVS member Jerry Austin.

The guide has very useful information in general. Assuming you have the laptop already and can use the existing receiver, the only purchase required is the calibrated USB mic from Cross Spectrum Labs here: http://www.cross-spectrum.com/

The mic boom stand is highly recommended when carrying out measurements to ensure repeatable results. It's also highly recommended when doing the Audyssey calibration with the NR-1605. You can get one from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000978D58...UTF8&colid=24EU3OAH32MB9&coliid=IGUU4MJOW5K65

The adapter fitting on the mic boom stand for the Audyssey mic is here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GWCC4I...TF8&colid=24EU3OAH32MB9&coliid=I224NHN0YP4MZR

#28 · (Edited)
Bass management is taken care in the AVR. You would connect all your speakers and subs to the AVR based on the setup diagram found in the owner's manaul. Generally the sub is connected via the LFE pre-out of the AVR.

The NR-1605 has a number of bass management features include LFE+Main. You may need to experiment with speaker placement, sub placement and MLP to get the smoothest bass.

A sketch showing the existing room layout would be useful. If you want some inspiration on what a good room layout is like, AVS member Jerry Austin is an example: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...95869-austinjerry-s-set-up.html#post_23859804

#29 ·
I am on my second 1605. First one died at about the six week point. Cable/Sat HDMI port failed. All other inputs were fine. Was just in the return window and got an exchange. Replacement now freezes (first one did not). Have to unplug and then plug back in. It will happen when we switch from recorded Tivo programming to Live TV. So far, that is the only condition that makes it fail. Audio goes out and remote is unresponsive. I really like the receiver but momma's not happy I spent the money and we have to fiddle with it to get it to work. This happens about once a week at the moment. I hope Marantz is working on something.

#30 · (Edited)
Are the source device connection via HDMI to the NR-1605? If so, check that the HDMI cables are all high speed - in particular the one from the NR-1605 to the TV. HDMI is an end to end solution and finicky when there are devices in-between source to sink. HDCP handshaking will happen more frequently when there are weakness in the chain and failures are expected. The connectors of a HDMI cable are friction fit and unless seated properly will result in more handshaking issues.

If still no joy after checking the above, carry out a network SAVE so all your settings are in a file on the PC. Verify that the SAVE was successful by checking the file contains non-zeros. Then carry out a LOAD to ensure the settings can be restored.

Afterwords do a microprocessor reset as outlined on page 231 of the owner's manual. After the reset, do LOAD of the settings.

If problem persists, report back.

Edit: If you have CEC enabled on the TV and TiVo, disable it for the time being.

#31 ·
All of my HDMI cables are newer High Speed. When trouble shooting a problem, cable replacement with another high speed HDMI is first.

I am not sure what the network save/load feature are but I will read up and give that a shot. It did freeze today during normal TV watching so it's not always when switching the Tivo.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#32 ·
I am not sure what the network save/load feature are but I will read up and give that a shot. It did freeze today during normal TV watching so it's not always when switching the Tivo.

Thanks for the suggestions!
The detailed procedure using Chrome was done by jdsmoothie in the 2013 Denon thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...model-owner-s-thread-faq-93.html#post23775592 in post number 2775. If you're using internet explorer, the detailed procedure is in post number 3.

#33 ·
jdsmoothie,

I have a feeling in the stomache that Marantz has stopped making the 5-channel line of slimline receivers. I.e. Marantz wont be releasing the NR-1505 this year and if someone wants the 5-channel version, they'll have to get last year's version.

Correct me if this line of thinking is wrong.

#35 ·
^^jdsmoothie,

Thanks for the clarification.

Would like your thoughts of consolidating non-Atmos Marantz receivers for 2014 into this thread. I don't see a separate thread for the SR-5009 and SR-6009. Thinking that there must be owners / potential owner can ask questions here.

Will change thread title and revise the fist 5 posts accordingly.

#37 ·
Can anyone point me to a document or website that lists out exactly the new features in the 1605 versus last year's 1604? The only thing I can really find is built-in Wifi in 1605.

I'm a little disappointed to see in this thread, the Amazon reviews, and the Crutchfield reviews all have comments from people complaining of freeze-ups and other similar issues. If there is no compelling reason to go with the new model, maybe I'll see if I can find a discounted or used 1604.

#38 · (Edited)
^^
People with issues tend to comment more so than people with no issues. Not too mention of the 5 reviews on Crutchfield, only 1 mentions freezing. :)

NR1605 vs NR1604:
Built-in WiFi/Bluetooth; 1 extra HDMI input, 4k/60fps upscale/pass through on all HDMI inputs, Smart Select buttons on the remote (similar to Quick Select on Denon), 4-6 ohm impedance setting, ECO Mode, ISF Day/Night setting

#39 ·
^^
People with issues tend to comment more so than people with no issues.

NR1605 vs NR1604:
Built-in WiFi/Bluetooth; 1 extra HDMI input, 4k/60fps upscale/pass through on all HDMI inputs, Smart Select buttons on the remote (similar to Quick Select on Denon), 4-6 ohm impedance setting, ECO Mode, ISF Day/Night setting
Thanks much jdsmoothie! Great info, appreciate the comparison specs you posted.

I am aware about the "review bias" towards complaints and certainly take that with a grain of salt, but it is unfortunate that there are so many early comments about issues. "Where there's smoke there's fire", so to speak. I haven't been able to find a full professional review yet of this model anywhere online.

#41 ·
Does anyone know how to change the thread title? It doesn't seem to follow the heading of the 1st post anymore. Does it need special permission or a request to a moderator to change the thread title?

Thanks.

#42 · (Edited)
As my friend who got the Porsche said: "Xxxx it, we only live once!".

Going all 4k HDMI 7.1 in my home office, implse buys are NR1605, Seiki SE39UY04,
Lenovo K450e - 57328, and a Harmony Smart Keyboard. Speakers are Malaysian Panasonic
bookshelves, LFE 75Hz. Less than 2K, distressed packaging on receiver took me 200 off.

One week later the receiver is still a champ, watched some 4k DD+ material online, absolutely great visual and surround experience. Very pleased, I believe at this size and feature level it has no competitors.

#43 ·
Pending an "Official" SR5009 thread...

Is anyone using a SR5009, streaming DSD via a NAS on a wired network (.dsf files)? Will the SR5009 play the .dsf's in multichannel? How does the sound/function of the DAC in this Marantz compare to others (like in an OPPO 105D)? TY!!
The 2014 Marantz models support DSD playback via network or USB. Some details for 2014 non-Atmos Marantz models are here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...505-1605-slimline-receiver-owners-thread.html

For the SR5009, refer to page 241 of the owner's manual. There appears to be support for multi-channel DSD playback on page 123 of SR5009 owner's manual. You may want to post the question to current owners of the SR5009.

The Oppo plays back DSD via the analogue outputs that can go into the multi-channel inputs of the SR5009. Note that for this connection there would be no Audyssey room equalisation and would sound very different compared with MultiEQ ON.
Good info, thanks. I do not use the Audyssey, mostly Pure Direct. I currently have a Marantz UD5005, where the manual states that it will output DSD to DSD-capable devises via hdmi. So it sounds like I CAN get pure (multi-channel) DSD thru my universal player and the network-attached NAS. Sound correct?

#44 ·
I would check with jdsmoothie on this one or an owner of the SR5009 can do a test and verify. The tables at the back of the SR5009 owner's manual doesn't explicitly say there is DSD support for multi-channel playback.

Compared to the SR7009 where there is explicit support in the surround and playback tables.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.