Is Pass Thru HDMI Still an issue with Cable boxes - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Is Pass Thru HDMI Still an issue with Cable boxes
jasguild's Avatar jasguild 08:58 AM 07-21-2014
I have an older Denon that can do hdmi pass through on standby. Four years ago when I bought this receiver, I was told that I should not "pass through" cable box HDMI signals because of conflicts and HDCP issues. So I did not use the pass through function.

Instead I connected the cable box directly to the TV using HDMI and a digital coax cable from the cable box to the Receiver. For the most part this alternative works fine especially with my harmony remote. HOWEVER, I have not been able to get my cable box to send pure dolby digital signals to the receiver. So instead I have to settle for Dolby Pro Logic II or some other option when watching tv through my surround sound

With football season around the corner, I am tempted to consider "passing through" the cable box HDMI signal to my receiver. Does anyone know if this isstill a problem? IS there something else I should be thinking about?

Thanks

BIslander's Avatar BIslander 09:23 AM 07-21-2014
Just give it a try. Functionality depends on your specific equipment. But, even if you don't use the pass through feature, why not attach the cable box to the receiver anyway? And, you should be able to get DD 5.1 over digital coax with your current set up.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:35 AM 07-21-2014
It's only a problem with some devices although still exists with current devices as well, so definitely give it a try with the HMDI directly connected to the Denon AVR. Also optical and digital coax is fully capable of passing DD 5.1 so more than likely the issue is with a setting on the cable box or you don't have an HD channel selected that is actually broadcasting a DD 5.1 signal as roughly only 50% of them do.
jasguild's Avatar jasguild 07:15 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Also optical and digital coax is fully capable of passing DD 5.1 so more than likely the issue is with a setting on the cable box or you don't have an HD channel selected that is actually broadcasting a DD 5.1 signal as roughly only 50% of them do.
I can not get DD 5.1 on any HD channel/program via my cable box. I verified that a channel and program that is also being broadcasted over the air is being done so with DD 5.1 but cable equivalent does not come with 5.1. I am using a coax digital cable to connect the receiver

Thanks
jasguild's Avatar jasguild 08:22 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasguild View Post
I can not get DD 5.1 on any HD channel/program via my cable box. I verified that a channel and program that is also being broadcasted over the air is being done so with DD 5.1 but cable equivalent does not come with 5.1. I am using a coax digital cable to connect the receiver

Thanks
I think i may have found the answer to this question. Apparently many STB only output 2.0 audio if hdmi is being used for video due to DRM. I have the Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4250HDC
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 09:50 PM 07-21-2014
There's no such DRM limitation.

It's likely the HDMI handshake with your TV is telling the cable box to send stereo instead of DD 5.1. Google the manual for your 4250HDC and go to p12, where it explains how to force a DD 5.1 output.

This would not be an issue, btw, if you ran everything through your receiver. You can disable the audio output from the AVR to the TV, which prevents the part of the handshake that negotiates stereo instead of DD 5.1.
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 10:17 PM 07-21-2014
[QUOTE]I can not get DD 5.1 on any HD channel/program via my cable box. I verified that a channel and program that is also being broadcasted over the air is being done so with DD 5.1 but cable equivalent does not come with 5.1. I am using a coax digital cable to connect the receiver

Thanks
[\QUOTE]

Have you tried this? Page 12 of owners manual. If you don't have the manual you can get it here.
http://www.brctv.com/sites/default/f...user_guide.pdf

You should be able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 out of the HDMI, optical and digital coax outputs simultaneously if your tv program supports it.
Attached: Cable Box Audio.PNG (88.1 KB) 
jasguild's Avatar jasguild 11:26 AM 07-22-2014
I will try that when I get home later this evening and report back my results. Thank you!!
jasguild's Avatar jasguild 09:22 PM 07-22-2014
Well trying to force the DD using the instructions on pg12 only worked partially. I did get DD on the Receiver via the HDMI which is what I am pursuing but lost sound from the TV speakers. This would mean I have to always watch tv with the receiver on which is NOT what I want. I tried turning off and unplugging the devices and the HDMI cable to see if there was a handshake issue but couldn't get sound from the tv. I also think that after forcing DD, there was no sound from the channels with out 5.1 sound.

HOwever, I tried passing the tv through the receiver using HDMI and that seems to work. It gets me the option to watch tv using the tv speakers (without the receiver) and gives me DD when using the receiver

I would have preferred the first option simply because in standby mode with my receiver on 24/7 I feel it is more prone to damage from voltage fluctuations. I am in central florida and we get lighting storms almost every day during the summer. Is there any other solution i can try to get the first option to work?
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 09:43 PM 07-22-2014
What happened when you forced the output to allow DD 5.1, but left the cable box connected to the TV with HDMI and to the receiver with digital coax?
jasguild's Avatar jasguild 09:49 PM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
What happened when you forced the output to allow DD 5.1, but left the cable box connected to the TV with HDMI and to the receiver with digital coax?
That is what I attempted to describe. I apologize if I did not explain it well enough When I did that I got DD 5.1 through the receiver via the coax cable but no sound through the tv via the HDMI cable.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 10:05 PM 07-22-2014
If you don't want to route things through your receiver, you may have to change the settings on the cable box depending on whether you want to use the receiver or the TV speakers.

Or, perhaps you could install an HDMI switch - the feed from the cable box goes into the switch and the outputs go the TV and the AVR. Set the switch to TV when you want bypass the receiver and to the receiver when you want surround sound. The TV will negotiate a stereo signal and the receiver will negotiate DD 5.1 from shows that have it.
Up
Mobile  Desktop