Recommended integrated amplifier? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recommended integrated amplifier?

Hi, I've recently bought a turntable, a Technics SL 1200 MK2 and i'm looking for an integrated amp. The turntable came with a Stanton 500 cartridge, I'm not sure if they're decent. But i'm not too worried about buying a new cartridge yet.

The genres I listen too, mainly instrumental hip hop, downtempo jazzy stuff (like Bonobo's music) and some Jazz. I also listen to a lot of electronic music.

I guess I'm looking for an amp that produces slightly more bass. I have a pair of Mackie MR5 MK2s though which are already slightly bassy, so I wouldn't want it to be in your face. I like a warm sound as well.

I'm looking to get something from £100 - £150. £200 max if i hear a lot of good things about a certain one.

Going back to the Mackie studio monitors, how would I use these with an amp? I'm not sure what socket I'd plug the amp into at the back of the speakers, I have RCA, TRS and XLR. I know people usually use bookshelf speakers but I don't really want to buy another pair.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
You don't want a stereo integrated amplifier, you want a stereo pre-amplifier, or a AV pre-amplifier.

You need pre-outs in any of those types of amps, but you don't want power amplifiers, as your speakers are active.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wells190 View Post
Hi, I've recently bought a turntable, a Technics SL 1200 MK2 and i'm looking for an integrated amp. The turntable came with a Stanton 500 cartridge, I'm not sure if they're decent. But i'm not too worried about buying a new cartridge yet.

The genres I listen too, mainly instrumental hip hop, downtempo jazzy stuff (like Bonobo's music) and some Jazz. I also listen to a lot of electronic music.

I guess I'm looking for an amp that produces slightly more bass. I have a pair of Mackie MR5 MK2s though which are already slightly bassy, so I wouldn't want it to be in your face. I like a warm sound as well.

I'm looking to get something from £100 - £150. £200 max if i hear a lot of good things about a certain one.

Going back to the Mackie studio monitors, how would I use these with an amp? I'm not sure what socket I'd plug the amp into at the back of the speakers, I have RCA, TRS and XLR. I know people usually use bookshelf speakers but I don't really want to buy another pair.

Thanks for any help.
Are you using powered Mackie monitors? Sounds like it from the connections. An integrated amp would give you the pre amp which it sounds like you need, but you don't need the power amp part with powered monitor speakers.

A typical device to solve your problem is an audio mixer. But if your turntable doesn't have it's own phono preamp, you need one of those as well. Unless they make mixers with phono inputs.

You could talk to Sweeterwater. They specialize in pro audio equipment. They have not let me down yet.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Are you using powered Mackie monitors? Sounds like it from the connections. An integrated amp would give you the pre amp which it sounds like you need, but you don't need the power amp part with powered monitor speakers.

A typical device to solve your problem is an audio mixer. But if your turntable doesn't have it's own phono preamp, you need one of those as well. Unless they make mixers with phono inputs.

You could talk to Sweeterwater. They specialize in pro audio equipment. They have not let me down yet.
Yep, my monitors are powered. So I'd need a pre amp and a phono pre amp? Or a mixer and phono pre amp? Sorry, I'm completely new to all this. Looks like I'll be spending more than I wanted! I'll send an email to Sweetwater though thanks.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Something like Audiolab 8000C would be suitable. That's an old amp, but sort of pre-amp you want, built in phono stage unless you want XLR.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Something like Audiolab 8000C would be suitable. That's an old amp, but sort of pre-amp you want, built in phono stage unless you want XLR.
Oh so you can buy pre amps with a built in phono stage without the power amp in it then? That be the best option i think.

I'll have a look, is there a certain name for those kind of pre amps, or would i just search for "pre amps with built in phono stage"?
post #7 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't be surprised pre-amps with phono stages are rarer thing now. Arcam made some with phono stage, upgradable phono module (MM or MC)

yeah you want "stereo analogue pre-amplifier with built in MM/MC phono stage"

Some AVR's have phono stages, but they have amps as well. The bass management features could come in handy though as well as DD/DTS decoding, HDMI inputs (so can use it as video switcher) LFE output etc. But generally AVR's with pre-outs aren't the budget models, you have to move up to mid-range amps, my Yamaha 671 doesn't have pre-outs and that's £400.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Last edited by fatbottom; 07-21-2014 at 03:28 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #9 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised pre-amps with phono stages are rarer thing now. Arcam made some with phono stage, upgradable phono module (MM or MC)

yeah you want "stereo analogue pre-amplifier with built in MM/MC phono stage"

Some AVR's have phono stages, but they have amps as well. The bass management features could come in handy though as well as DD/DTS decoding, HDMI inputs (so can use it as video switcher) LFE output etc. But generally AVR's with pre-outs aren't the budget models, you have to move up to mid-range amps, my Yamaha 671 doesn't have pre-outs and that's £400.
I've found this Arcam FMJ C31:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCAM-FMJ-...item43cc7a3226

This one doesn't have a phono stage, but they were optional to buy with it according to the info. Just a matter of finding one with a phono stage. Have you ever tried an Arcam product or know a bit about them? Do you know if they're reliable? For my first pre amp i'm not looking for anything super fantastic anyway.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post
I would buy a mixer but I won't be Djing and I feel like buying one would be kind of a waste. I think I'd rather just have a pre amp that i can put my turntable on top of. Thanks though!
post #11 of 32 Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks like you can upgrade with a phono stage, they were about £60, check if you can buy one though.

I've got a Arcam Alpha. It's ok, but it's an older model than that FMJ.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #12 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That looks like you can upgrade with a phono stage, they were about £60, check if you can buy one though.

I've got a Arcam Alpha. It's ok, but it's an older model than that FMJ.
I've found an FMJ C31 on this forum which was posted on 22nd June, not sure if it's been sold yet: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126848.0

It's being sold for $775 from the US. Converted to pounds that's £453, which is a lot considering these you used to be around £60, I'm gessing it's because of the age of the thing? I wouldn't think about buying it anyway, there'd be the shipping cost as well. Just wondering if i'd be able to get it cheaper. Do you know when how old they are?
post #13 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Found this one too. I asked a question on Amazon and apparently it has a phono stage.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audi..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

I want to be sure that it doesn't have a power amp as well though, but that would make it an integrated amp wouldn't it?
post #14 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

If you buy a amp from USA. You will pay

VAT
Import Duty & Customs
International shipping & insurance

Then it'll be 120v, so useless.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #15 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh right, what do you think of the Cambridge Audio one, does you think it looks suitable?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll stop pestering you soon!
post #16 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Consider a Marantz stereo amp. There are pre outs and a phono stage. You can bypass the internal amps and use your active speakers.
post #17 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Found this one too. I asked a question on Amazon and apparently it has a phono stage.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audi..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

I want to be sure that it doesn't have a power amp as well though, but that would make it an integrated amp wouldn't it?
This has no power amp, nor is it a system preamp, it has no volume control or switching ability. It is just a phono preamp.
post #18 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I would buy a mixer but I won't be Djing and I feel like buying one would be kind of a waste. I think I'd rather just have a pre amp that i can put my turntable on top of. Thanks though!
But a DJ mixer would cost you a lot less.

Here is one for £ 49.00 http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixe...1#.U874SbGa-Tk
post #19 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post
But a DJ mixer would cost you a lot less.

Here is one for £ 49.00 http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixe...1#.U874SbGa-Tk
I'll check that out, thanks. The other thing i'd be worried about though is the sound quality not being as good.
post #20 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post
This has no power amp, nor is it a system preamp, it has no volume control or switching ability. It is just a phono preamp.
The person that answered my question on Amazon did not know what he was talking about then! Glad I double checked, thanks.
post #21 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Consider a Marantz stereo amp. There are pre outs and a phono stage. You can bypass the internal amps and use your active speakers.
Sounds interesting. So I could use a Marantz intergrated amp and bypass the internal power amp? Any particular amp from them you could recommend? Do they have this feature on a lot of their amps?
post #22 of 32 Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

What you buy will depend on your budget mate, so have a look at their range, Marantz UK will give you the specifications, and you can pop into your local hi fi store and audition them.
IIRC the 5005 onwards has it. Check them out.
post #23 of 32 Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What you buy will depend on your budget mate, so have a look at their range, Marantz UK will give you the specifications, and you can pop into your local hi fi store and audition them.
I know this sounds silly, but I'd be cautious with it if i had one. A simple accidental press of the wrong button and i could turn off the bypass and blow my monitors couldn't I? But they look great, thinking of getting one still.
post #24 of 32 Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know this sounds silly, but I'd be cautious with it if i had one. A simple accidental press of the wrong button and i could turn off the bypass and blow my monitors couldn't I? But they look great, thinking of getting one still.
No you couldn't, because the amps on the integrated amp would not be hooked up to your speakers. Your powered speakers would be hooked up directly to the pre-outs, before the amp section.
post #25 of 32 Old 07-24-2014, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No you couldn't, because the amps on the integrated amp would not be hooked up to your speakers. Your powered speakers would be hooked up directly to the pre-outs, before the amp section.
Aah, that'd be fine then. Although I thought I'd connect them to the speaker inputs, would I be using all of the in-built amps if i did this? Sorry, completely new to this stuff.

I have another newbie question, what socket on my speakers would I hook the cable from the pre-outs into? I have RCA, TRS and XLR.....TRS I'm guessing?
post #26 of 32 Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think you have actually been to the website and studied the owner manuals available.. if you did, you would not have this assumption..

Best to visit your local store and find out more..
post #27 of 32 Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Aah, that'd be fine then. Although I thought I'd connect them to the speaker inputs, would I be using all of the in-built amps if i did this? Sorry, completely new to this stuff.

I have another newbie question, what socket on my speakers would I hook the cable from the pre-outs into? I have RCA, TRS and XLR.....TRS I'm guessing?
Most likely RCA's. Generally only fairly high-end, or professional gear have XLR connections. And I am not sure about TRS?
John
post #28 of 32 Old 07-24-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Most likely RCA's. Generally only fairly high-end, or professional gear have XLR connections. And I am not sure about TRS?
John
Right OK, I've emailed Marantz anyway for a bit more info, thanks.
post #29 of 32 Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think you have actually been to the website and studied the owner manuals available.. if you did, you would not have this assumption..

Best to visit your local store and find out more..
I didn't realise you could download the user manual on the product page. Downloaded it earlier, will give it a read later.
post #30 of 32 Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been looking at Marantz amps the past few days. I've been interested in the PM5005, only problem is it doesn't have pre outs. It has record outs but record outs aren't variable are they?

I'd like to be able to use the volume control on the amp instead of reaching around the back of my speakers every time I want to adjust the volume.

Are all record outs variable?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
integrated amplifier , mr5 mk2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page