A/V-Receiver sound speaker levels - already compensated for speaker sensivity? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A/V-Receiver sound speaker levels - already compensated for loudspeaker sensivity?

Hi,

On most A/V receivers you can set the sound compensation level for each individual speaker (i.e. +/- X dB). But does the A/V receiver already compensate for the speaker's sensitivity? Because one speaker may have e.g. 86 dB sensitivity and another one 90 dB (1W@1M).

So does this mean that one should set the speakers with 86 dB to 0 dB compensation, and the ones with 90 dB to -4 dB compensation? Or will the A/V receiver already have compensated/normalized for that during the Audyssey (or similar) measurements, so that the sound level for each speaker should only be set to compensate based on listening position? I.e. if the listening position is closer to speaker A than B, the sound compensation level for speaker A should be set lower than for B?

Would anyone please care to explain?

Last edited by Fjodor2000; Yesterday at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hi,

On most A/V receivers you can set the sound compensation level for each individual speaker (i.e. +/- X dB). But does the A/V receiver already compensate for the speaker's sensitivity? Because one speaker may have e.g. 86 dB sensitivity and another one 90 dB (1W@1M).
Standardizing the acoustic output of the speakers attached to the AVR to match the dB markings on its volume control are one of the things that automated system optimization (Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, etc.) do as part of their normal automated system adjustments. The setting of the internal trims is based, among other things on measurements made with the little calibration mic that comes with the AVR.

Quote:
So does this mean that one should set the speakers with 86 dB to 0 dB compensation, and the ones with 90 dB to -4 dB compensation?
No, because the sound level at your listening location is dependent on other things than just speaker efficiency. This includes distance from the speaker to the listener, and the acoustics of the room.

Quote:
Or will the A/V receiver already have compensated/normalized for that during the Audyssey (or similar) measurements,
Yes.

Quote:
so that the sound level for each speaker should only be set to compensate based on listening position? I.e. if the listening position is closer to speaker A than B, the sound compensation level for speaker A should be set lower than for B?
The automated adjustments are supposed to handle those differences automagically.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I see. Thanks for the clear explanation.

Is this valid even if you disable Audyssey, and use manual settings instead?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
compensate , level , receiver , sound , speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page