Need some advice from you guys - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need some advice from you guys

I recently ordered a new receiver - the Pioneer SC-1522-k. It has been discontinued but there were a few left through Amazon 3rd party retailers. I got a good price $599 (this is what it retailed at Costco for when they had a special on it). Anyways, when it arrived yesterday the box was in very bad shape and it was obvious that it wasn't just a shipping issue - the box looked some what old and tattered. Of course when I opened it, there was issues with the original packing materials and subsequently, a foot was broke off and it has a small dent in the top of the case. All other materials in the box would suggest it was new as was advertised. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about just returning it but I can't find another one and don't have a larger budget to work with. My two questions are: should I request a discount and keep it, knowing I won't be able to get another new one? And, does Pioneer sell replacement parts such as those>? I also bought a 3 yr square trade warranty on it. I didn't even try to turn it on yet and so all of this may be a mute point if the damage is more extensive but thought I'd check in with the experts here before dealing with the company and sending it back.
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 130
There are other AVR's in the world and based on your description of the product's condition, my two cents are you should send it back. Any impacts hard enough to literally break off feet and leave dents in the case are too much. It sounds like the moisture barrier must have been compromised too. That thing has to go back.

Maybe some other members can steer you to some makes / models that offer similar feature sets at a similar price point. You might consider listing your must have features, power etc.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; 07-23-2014 at 03:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Talk to the seller and explain the situation and ask what your options are ... whether he wants you to ship it back or will allow you to test it first and if working to your satisfaction, provide a discount due to the damage. Make your decision based on his response. Depending on how the foot was broken off (ie. is the stem still stuck in the hole and if yes, can it be removed?), it can likely be replaced by Pioneer parts.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here are a few of the pics. The stem of the foot is still in the receiver. I haven't heard back from the company yet. I've already been w/o an AVR for a month due to my Onkyo HDMI board issues which is why I'm probably a bit more hesitant to send it back and start my search again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140722_172722_resized.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	176170   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140722_173101_resized.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	176178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140722_173109_resized.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	176186  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

The force required to dent at that location, where the sheet metal has a manufactured 90 degree turn, is quite high. That was no bump. That was a shot. Unless it was just getting smashed repeatedly, it's likely the force of that impact also broke the foot. And you're right about what the packaging looks like. Nothing about it looks right.

Make sure the seller is an authorized Pioneer dealer, or you'll have no warranty coverage at all from Pioneer. This is from the Pioneer website:

Why buy from an authorized on-line dealer? Get the most out of your investment – Manufacturer’s warranty and rebate are not valid when you purchase from an unauthorized dealer.

This link will let you look up and determine whether your seller is an authorized dealer: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Online+Dealers

Given the visible damage, you may have a second warranty headache, this time with the extended coverage you bought. I know you haven't done anything wrong, but your new AVR was mishandled. The coverage provided by warranty isn't intended to cover damage caused by dropping the AVR down the stairs, for example, whether you did it or the seller did. Product misuse or mishandling is routinely excluded. The dent (and any other visible sign of damage, inside or outside the box) puts you at greater risk of that warranty headache than somebody with a visually 100% unit, even if the seller turns out to be an authorized dealer.

I won't beat a dead horse, but I wouldn't keep that thing on a dare. But I understand why you are torn. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Return it. Considering the complexity of modern AVR's and the fragile nature of electronics generally, that looks like a problem waiting to happen. Even if it does power on and seem to work now.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

^ +1

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors