• 2 Post By phantom52
  • 2 Post By KidHorn
  • 1 Post By MichaelJHuman

post #1 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it worth spending money on higher end banana plugs?

Banana plugs are available for $30 a dozen or $30 apiece. And beyond. Does it matter? Is it worth spending $10 per connector for a home theater system that's has an avr and three speakers worth a total of $1500?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
No it is not. Banana plugs from Monoprice,Sewell Direct, or Bluejeans Cable will work just fine. Anything else is snake oil IMO.
M.T.Nest and 67jason like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 208
They'll produce the same sound. The difference is in how easy they are to get the wire attached and how sturdy they are. I always buy the $30/dozen kind.
jdcrox and Edllguy like this.
post #4 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
these are all you need.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Deadb...gs-12-Pair.asp

They have other styles on the same page.

Afro GT
post #5 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Plugs with brass content seem to be frowned upon. Personally, I use the wire itself to terminate the speakers on my high end system. YMMV
post #6 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Cheapo ones may not fit as well and may be harder to work with/wire up. No sonic difference is expected
Edllguy likes this.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
no

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks!
post #9 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Liked: 27
This may be a repeat, but I highly recommend the banana plugs in the link below. They are reasonably priced, easy to connect to your wiring, connect solidly to the wiring, and make connecting your speaker cables to the AVR or amp a piece of cake. Great investment IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #10 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 57
With in reason, I'd actually say yes, it does matter, but let me clarify, not in sound quality, but I've used some cheap banana jacks that fit way too loose, and I'd have to spread out the strips on the banana jack with something like a knife to get a good contact, whereas the ones I use now from Sewell Direct fit much better even after being unplugged and plugged in numerous times. That's something the real cheapies would not do.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
these are all you need.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Deadb...gs-12-Pair.asp

They have other styles on the same page.
I just grabbed a set of these; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little cheaper than the ones above but will serve as 2 type of connectors in one. Just do not buy the ones from Home Depot.....those will drive you nuts. As for any of the accessories available there is the esoteric cables that run $100 per foot down to the cheapest wires that can be had for 10 cents a foot...........somewhere in between lies what you want or need. I have tried expensive cables and wires and never heard much difference. The important factor to remember when buying cables and wires is to go thicker and better quality as the run gets longer....other than that use your own judgement and save your cash for better electronics or speakers.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
With in reason, I'd actually say yes, it does matter, but let me clarify, not in sound quality, but I've used some cheap banana jacks that fit way too loose, and I'd have to spread out the strips on the banana jack with something like a knife to get a good contact, whereas the ones I use now from Sewell Direct fit much better even after being unplugged and plugged in numerous times. That's something the real cheapies would not do.

Your experience reminds me. I had a bulk purchase of the Monoprice plugs, and after a year they started giving me problems. They started fitting loosely, and the strips on the banana jack was starting to collapse. I only noticed it because on one set of speakers, a rattling vibration started occurring on bass notes. It freaked me out, I thought the speakers were blown or something. But upon inspection, it was these plugs getting loose in the socket. After inspecting the rest of them connecting the theater system and finding more loose fitting plugs, I discarded them all and bought the Sewell brand from Amazon. Monoprice is the price beater, but I've had their HDMI cables fail as well.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Your experience reminds me. I had a bulk purchase of the Monoprice plugs, and after a year they started giving me problems. They started fitting loosely, and the strips on the banana jack was starting to collapse. I only noticed it because on one set of speakers, a rattling vibration started occurring on bass notes. It freaked me out, I thought the speakers were blown or something. But upon inspection, it was these plugs getting loose in the socket. After inspecting the rest of them connecting the theater system and finding more loose fitting plugs, I discarded them all and bought the Sewell brand from Amazon. Monoprice is the price beater, but I've had their HDMI cables fail as well.
You must have weak bass if that rattle could be heard over the bass.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I read it too. I personally use all Nakamichi plugs but only because I like the 2 screw connection.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #15 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just recently got rid of all my Banana Plugs, I like direct speaker wire connections better.

But when I did use Banana Plugs, I liked the ones from Orange County Speaker.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
So, how loud was the rattle? And what was the volume set at? Two things that would determine whether one could hear a rattle or not.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I never really cared for the type of banana plugs that you had to "fan" out the strands of speaker wire. I recently ordered GLS locking banana plugs from Amazon. The reseller is Orange County Speaker and the prices are a bit less to a similar plug sold by Bluejeans Cable. The GLS plugs have two set screws that hold the speaker wire securely in place. So far the plugs work fine with no issues at all.

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Lock...g+banana+plugs

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-26-2014, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I move things around a lot so I use banana plugs on the receiver end but prefer spades like these on the speaker end. Just makes it a little eaiser to disconnect things. I should add that these spade type connectors might not fit all speakers. I've also stuffed banana plugs through the binding post hole and screwed them down on speakers when they become to lose to stay securely in the more normal location. HMM....that alsmost sounds kind a kinky . But it's not .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spade-Connec...item232b498cad

Banana plugs will start to losen up after a few installs/removals so I change them out occasionally. The silver ones from Sewell (dual screw) are kind of light-weight compared to the dead-bolt type from GLS/Sewell but they work very well and are quite in-expensive.

I avoid the single screw type.

Last edited by gene c353; 07-26-2014 at 01:41 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use the Sewell Silver Backs with the Sewell 12ga Silver Back wires. They came attached already and have the double screw in them. they fit very snug.

LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)

Sewell 12ga terminated wiring
Klipsch Sub 12

Logitech 520

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List