How do I make the best of my setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How do I make the best of my setup

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the world of HT, however I do come from a background of competing in sound quality in car audio, so I do have a fairly good working knowledge of sound and acoustics.

I just got some new gear, and am wondering how to make the most out of it, and get everything working together happily. My current setup is as follows:

Yamaha RX-A2020
Samsung smart TV (Costco, bought for around $770 a couple months ago, don't remember model number)
PS4
Xbox 360
Cable box
HTPC x2 (Both running 460GTX Graphics cards)

This question is mainly coming from the fact that I am unable to get my HTPC to work with my receiver and get surround sound. It seems to get 2.1 just fine, the movies are encoded in full surround, and I have yet to be able to get full surround from the HTPC, works with PS4 games and bluray movies just fine.

My main question is, what can I do to get everything working better together. I have set the receiver to use the ARC so when I turn my TV off the receiver goes off, but it doesn't happen vice versa. Anything I can do or tricks I can do to get everything working together better or things I may not have thought of. I know, kind of all over the place, but I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I can try to help.

Are you streaming movies to your AVR via DLNA or hdmi? In windows there is a sound setup page in which you select whether you want sound to be outputted in 2.1 or multichannel. That would be the first thing to try.

As far as getting your components to turn off in sync, I believe that's related to CEC not ARC. look I'm your AVR and TV settings for CEC, I know Yamaha's refer to it as standby sync and samsung is anynet. I have been able to get my AVR to turn off when TV turns off but not to turn on.

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Yamaha RX-A740 Aventage. 125dB @30hz, 16hz @ -3dB
Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX
Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
post #3 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I know I have heard of this problem. I know nothing about HTPC, so I can only post a link I found ( which may not pertain to your problem) - https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...dio-over-hdmi/

There used to be an HTPC forum you could also try posting there

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Your receiver should report the audio format and the number of channels it is getting from the source. What does it say?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 503
To get more than two channels of audio, try disabling the TV's speakers. Don't just mute them or turn them down all the way. Most TVs have an explicit setting for when you're using an external surround-sound receiver. (The HDMI standard requires the source device to send the audio and video signals which are compatible with the least-capable output device.)

Also, use media player software which supports WASAPI. See Which media players reconfigure HDMI to match number of source channels?

CEC and ARC interoperability is hit-or-miss. If you have them enabled and they do what you want, then you're lucky. Many people disable them entirely and use a programmable remote control to turn things on in the right order, with an S/PDIF connection (either RCA or optical) to get audio from the TV to the receiver.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped

Last edited by Selden Ball; 07-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson View Post
I can try to help.

Are you streaming movies to your AVR via DLNA or hdmi? In windows there is a sound setup page in which you select whether you want sound to be outputted in 2.1 or multichannel. That would be the first thing to try.

As far as getting your components to turn off in sync, I believe that's related to CEC not ARC. look I'm your AVR and TV settings for CEC, I know Yamaha's refer to it as standby sync and samsung is anynet. I have been able to get my AVR to turn off when TV turns off but not to turn on.
Streaming via HDMI, I'll check the sound settings in windows. With the receiver I'll do that also, and I wonder if it automatically doesn't turn on with the TV because it uses the passthrough by default, which would be fine, if I had sound, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
I know I have heard of this problem. I know nothing about HTPC, so I can only post a link I found ( which may not pertain to your problem) - https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...dio-over-hdmi/

There used to be an HTPC forum you could also try posting there
I read through that thread, and it looks like one person fixed it by not passing through audio to the TV and only audio on the AVR amp, is there a setting on the A2020 to do this? I'm sure there is, I just can't seem to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Your receiver should report the audio format and the number of channels it is getting from the source. What does it say?
I'll have to check again when I get home, such a simple check you would think I would have looked at that. Again, I'm a total AV Newbie (for the most part, still a tech geek)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
To get more than two channels of audio, try disabling the TV's speakers. Don't just mute them or turn them down all the way. Most TVs have an explicit setting for when you're using an external surround-sound receiver. (The HDMI standard requires the source device to send the audio and video signals which are compatible with the least-capable output device.)

Also, use media player software which supports WASAPI. See Which media players reconfigure HDMI to match number of source channels?

CEC and ARC interoperability is hit-or-miss. If you have them enabled and they do what you want, then you're lucky. Many people disable them entirely and use a programmable remote control to turn things on in the right order, with an S/PDIF connection (either RCA or optical) to get audio from the TV to the receiver.
I did turn off the TV speakers, (like you said, in the settings, just turned off). I actually did that as soon as I hooked up the TV, I can't stand when the wie would turn the TV up and I am hearing double audio /shutter. I'll check out the link for HTPC's and source channels, Thank you!. And that sucks about the CEC, I'm sure it will get more standardized in the future (I hope) but for the time being, c'est la vie.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 503
The CEC specifications in v2 of the HDMI standard supposedly are much more stringent, but, like most of its provisions, are optional. *sigh*

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's help thus far, you guys are awesome. Also, I think I remember going into my audio settings, and I could be completely wrong, but in the jack information, it said " L R HDMI". I could be wrong, and I'll check again in a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said. hmmm
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors