The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1278 Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,351
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
No, no benefits from Atmos with a basic 5.1 or 7.1 setup. In order for Atmos processing to work you need some sort of "elevated" speakers, either in ceiling, front/rear heights, or upward firing "Dolby enabled" speakers. Note that if you not want to install in ceiling speakers due to WAF the upward firing Atmos speakers allow you to add two or four "top" channels with no additional footprint than a standard 5.1 setup. But you would have to buy new speakers or at minimum separate modules that will sit on top of your existing speakers.

Otherwise, yes, the X4000 at close out pricing is the better value. Same XT32 calibration and pretty much the same in most other respects besides the lack of wifi and Bluetooth. And you still have a variety of options to expand to 7 or 9 channels if needed.
SpenceJT likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1278 Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Member
 
mcpfrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego/ Univ City
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
No, no benefits from Atmos with a basic 5.1 or 7.1 setup. In order for Atmos processing to work you need some sort of "elevated" speakers, either in ceiling, front/rear heights, or upward firing "Dolby enabled" speakers. Note that if you not want to install in ceiling speakers due to WAF the upward firing Atmos speakers allow you to add two or four "top" channels with no additional footprint than a standard 5.1 setup. But you would have to buy new speakers or at minimum separate modules that will sit on top of your existing speakers.

Otherwise, yes, the X4000 at close out pricing is the better value. Same XT32 calibration and pretty much the same in most other respects besides the lack of wifi and Bluetooth. And you still have a variety of options to expand to 7 or 9 channels if needed.
THANKS Batpig
mcpfrid is offline  
post #33 of 1278 Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
willdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post
LOL! That sounds like a good use for my "bacon" duct tape!

If anything, I'll pick up a pair of M3s instead of my earlier plan to purchase QS8s, mount them up high (see attached image) on the entertainment towers (currently where the M22s are sitting in the shadows), and keep my M22s (and their floor-stands) and re-purpose them as a width channel after I purchase a two-channel amp. It should be pretty sweet once I'm done piecing it together.

First things first - waiting for official info and availability on the x7200 (or Marantz SR7009).

Regards,
Spence
Aha. I see them lurking about up there.

Looks like some nice kit!

I'm leaning towards the 5200. Looking at a 7.1.4 upgrade--assuming I like Andre Jones' new Atmos-enabled Pioneer speakers, with concentric driver modules, as much as I anticipate (and with an Hsu sub). Not sure how/whether to do DSX/PLIIz conjointly...I better start reading up, or, you know, picking Batpig's colossal brain, per the norm around here, lol.
SpenceJT likes this.
willdao is offline  
post #34 of 1278 Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Member
 
AidenL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any educated guesses on what the 7200 will have over the 5200 model??

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
AidenL is offline  
post #35 of 1278 Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,410
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Any educated guesses on what the 7200 will have over the 5200 model??
SpenceJT, AidenL, Exxodus and 1 others like this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #36 of 1278 Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,476
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Any educated guesses on what the 7200 will have over the 5200 model??
Current known differences are noted in post #3 of this thread.
SpenceJT and AidenL like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #37 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Member
 
MSGUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Batpig and Jdsmoothie,

Its been close to four years since I have read and posted in the Denon thread - good to see both of you are still enlightening us with your knowledge. When I bought my then new 2809CI you guys were fantastic with answers and additional information to any questions I had.

Even though I'm still pleased with the 2809, time marches on and I believe it's time to upgrade. I just bought a new Samsung H7150 LED TV, and use a Panasonic BDT500 Blu-ray player so now it's Denon's turn.

My priority is music so I am wondering based on what is currently known about the 2014 models what I should be looking at buying. Would the X4100 give me a noticeable improvement in music? What does it have that my 2809 doesn't that makes music sound better? The "Monolithic Discrete Amplifier" and "Upgraded Transistors" sound interesting on the X5200, but I just don't know if they would be worth the $600.00 difference over the X4200. Would they really make that much of a difference in music? Finally, is it true the X4100 is not made in Japan, if not, where is it made, China, Malaysia?

I know both models have not been released yet, so it is all speculation but most of the upgrades in music and sound quality in general over my 2809 have been around in previous higher-end models so their impact on music would be known I would think.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by MSGUSA; 07-27-2014 at 07:35 AM.
MSGUSA is offline  
post #38 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post
Hey Batpig and Jdsmoothie,

Its been close to four years since I have read and posted in the Denon thread - good to see both of you are still enlightening us with your knowledge. When I bought my then new 2809CI you guys were fantastic with answers and additional information to any questions I had.

Even though I'm still pleased with the 2809, time marches on and I believe it's time to upgrade. I just bought a new Samsung H7150 LED TV, and use a Panasonic BDT500 Blu-ray player so now it's Denon's turn.

My priority is music so I am wondering based on what is currently known about the 2014 models what I should be looking at buying. Would the X4100 give me a noticeable improvement in music? What does it have that my 2809 doesn't that makes music sound better? The "Monolithic Discrete Amplifier" and "Upgraded Transistors" sound interesting on the X5200, but I just don't know if they would be worth the $600.00 difference over the X4200. Would they really make that much of a difference in music? Finally, is it true the X4100 is not made in Japan, if not, where is it made, China, Malaysia?

I know both models have not been released yet, so it is all speculation but most of the upgrades in music and sound quality in general over my 2809 have been around in previous higher-end models so their impact on music would be known I would think.

Thanks again for all your help.
First the 2809 doesn't even support HDMI video overlay, so using it with a somewhat modern setup really shows. The most important aspects of a receiver upgrade over the 2809 would be a stronger amp, better DSP room correction especially with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, and finally stepping out of the stone age of RS232 updates and having network access so you can receive FW updates, and various audio streaming services. See this pdf chart of 2015 Denon AVR's.

The 150 w/ch AVR-4520CI which is still on sale today is still a best buy compared to the replacement AVR-X7200W. The $2000 140 w/ch AVR-X5200W is a bit stronger amp then the 125 w/ch X4000 (replaced with x4200w) which is another good buy. You need to decide whether you want the new lineup versus the 2013 models. (HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and Dolby Atmos are the main 2015 updates, other then wireless connectivity) The X4000 (replaced with x4200w) is made in China, while the X5200W and x7200W along with 4520 are made in Japan.
quizzicus likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.
JohnAV is offline  
post #39 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Member
 
MSGUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi JohnAV,

Good to hear from you again too. Thanks for the pdf, it is really helpful. I went to Denon's website but could find very little about the new 2014/15 models. Was hoping for a feature comparison chart like they had many years ago but I can't find it anymore. The pdf solved that problem, though.

Yes, having a HDMI video overlay will be a fantastic and long overdue feature for me! I guess, what I'm asking is will I notice no, a little, or a great improvement in music played from a CD or thumb-drive with Lossless WAV files if I were to do a A/B test between my 2809 and the X4100 or X5200 if all else is equal? If there is a very noticeable improvement what features are causing it? For example I don't know what music improvements would be attributed to the "Monolithic Discrete Amplifier" and "Upgraded Transistors" in the X5200 but it sounds cool . If I remember correctly, at the X4100/X5200 level the AMP section is supposed to be isolated to improve the sound where the 2809 AMP section isn't, is this correct, and if so, does it really make a noticeable difference?

As I said previously, I know both models have not been released yet, so it is all speculation but most of the upgrades in music and sound quality in general over my 2809 have been around in previous higher-end models so their impact on music would be known I would think.

Thanks

Addendum: My only reason for upgrading is the HDMI video overlay, and improved sound/music quality. Things like having a gazillion speakers, sound coming from the ceiling, and using the Denon to pipe music to the patio, garage or wherever is of no interest to me . I only use 5.1 for movies and 2 speakers for music and am perfectly happy.

Last edited by MSGUSA; 07-27-2014 at 02:10 PM.
MSGUSA is offline  
post #40 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post
Hi JohnAV,

Good to hear from you again too. Thanks for the pdf, it is really helpful. I went to Denon's website but could find very little about the new 2014/15 models. Was hoping for a feature comparison chart like they had many years ago but I can't find it anymore. The pdf solved that problem, though.

Yes, having a HDMI video overlay will be a fantastic and long overdue feature for me! I guess, what I'm asking is will I notice no, a little, or a great improvement in music played from a CD or thumb-drive with Lossless WAV files if I were to do a A/B test between my 2809 and the X4100 or X5200 if all else is equal? If there is a very noticeable improvement what features are causing it? For example I don't know what music improvements would be attributed to the "Monolithic Discrete Amplifier" and "Upgraded Transistors" in the X5200 but it sounds cool . If I remember correctly, at the X4100/X5200 level the AMP section is supposed to be isolated to improve the sound where the 2809 AMP section isn't, is this correct, and if so, does it really make a noticeable difference?

As I said previously, I know both models have not been released yet, so it is all speculation but most of the upgrades in music and sound quality in general over my 2809 have been around in previous higher-end models so their impact on music would be known I would think.

Thanks

Addendum: My only reason for upgrading is the HDMI video overlay, and improved sound/music quality. Things like having a gazillion speakers, sound coming from the ceiling, and using the Denon to pipe music to the patio, garage or wherever is of no interest to me . I only use 5.1 for movies and 2 for music and am perfectly happy.
You would get you the most bang for the buck, would be the the improved sound/music quality from using Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 which the x4000 on up would offer. Batpig is very happy with his x4000 it seems. The x4100W would be a decent upgrade for you if you care to wait, going to the better models will offer incremental audio quality improvements with slightly more dynamic range. For me I upgraded all my speakers to Paragon Reference, and encountering some disney/sony lossless audio track decoding issues (dropouts/pops) finally pushed me to replace mine to a 4520. One heck of a difference in sound/music quality. Based on your setup, what would be acceptable to use is your decision.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-28-2014 at 12:40 PM.
JohnAV is offline  
post #41 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
First the 2809 doesn't even support HDMI video overlay, so using it with a somewhat modern setup really shows. The most important aspects of a receiver upgrade over the 2809 would be a stronger amp, better DSP room correction especially with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, and finally stepping out of the stone age of RS232 updates and having network access so you can receive FW updates, and various audio streaming services. See this pdf chart of 2015 Denon AVR's.

The 150 w/ch AVR-4520CI which is still on sale today is still a best buy compared to the replacement AVR-X7200W. The $2000 140 w/ch AVR-X5200W is a bit stronger amp then the 125 w/ch X4000 (replaced with x4200w) which is another good buy. You need to decide whether you want the new lineup versus the 2013 models. (HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and Dolby Atmos are the main 2015 updates, other then wireless connectivity) The X4000 (replaced with x4200w) is made in China, while the X5200W and x7200W along with 4520 are made in Japan.
No HDCP2.2 in Denon's lineup.
sikclown is online now  
post #42 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
No HDCP 2.2 in Denon's lineup.
There are a limited number of HDMI 2.0 chiset manufacturers and all of them appear to impliment HDCP 2.2 chipsets.

Denon and other manufacturers aren't obliged to declare what version of HDCP they are incorporating and haven't bothered to do so up until now with the advent of HDMI 2.0 and 2160P@50/60 Hz passthrough.

It would be pretty bad move with any AV receiver manufacturer to utilize HDMI version 2.0 implementation that doesn't use the HDCP 2.2 chipset. That would mean they would have to purposefully go out of their way to find a HDMI version 2.0 chipset lacking support for HDCP 2.2.

Personally I don't really care, I would love to see HDCP 1.4 be enough to pass a 2160P video between source -> AVR -> and UDTV. Oppo has already done that with Silicon Image video processor to output 4kx2K using HDMI 1.4 ports at 2160P@50/60 Hz. (BDP-103D/BDP-105D)

Up to those industry types to decide how painful they want to make 4K native media playback isn't it?

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-27-2014 at 05:49 PM.
JohnAV is offline  
post #43 of 1278 Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
There are a limited number of HDMI 2.0 chiset manufacturers and all of them appear to impliment HDCP 2.2 chipsets.

Denon and other manufacturers aren't obliged to declare what version of HDCP they are incorporating and haven't bothered to do so up until now with the advent of HDMI 2.0 and 2160P@50/60 Hz passthrough.

It would be pretty bad move with any AV receiver manufacturer to utilize HDMI version 2.0 implementation that doesn't use the HDCP 2.2 chipset. That would mean they would have to purposefully go out of their way to find a HDMI version 2.0 chipset lacking support for HDCP 2.2.

Personally I don't really care, I would love to see HDCP 1.4 be enough to pass a 2160P video between source -> AVR -> and UDTV. Oppo has already done that with Silicon Image video processor to output 4kx2K using HDMI 1.4 ports at 2160P@50/60 Hz. (BDP-103D/BDP-105D)

Up to those industry types to decide how painful they want to make 4K native media playback isn't it?
No. The only Receiver manufacturer including HDCP 2.2 is Onkyo and only on one or two in ports and one out port. As has been discussed many times in the other forum, there are really only two chipsets available; one has full HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps)4k at 60hz and 4:4:4 chroma but no HDCP 2.2 while the other has HDMI 2.0 (10Gbps, same as 1.4) 4k at 60hz and 4:2:0 chroma with HDCP 2.2. Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, etc opted for the former while Onkyo is the only manufacturer so far to opt for the latter.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #44 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 324
^^
Good summary of the chip situation. You are correct and the idea that all HDMI 2.0 chipsets support 2.2 HDCP is incorrect.

The mfgs aren't gimping anything; they just made a decision which chip to use. So far, there is no HDMI 2.0 chipset that does it all. It's one with HDCP 2.2 & limited bandwidth or one with full bandwidth but HDCP 2.0.
sikclown likes this.

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #45 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,351
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post
Addendum: My only reason for upgrading is the HDMI video overlay, and improved sound/music quality. Things like having a gazillion speakers, sound coming from the ceiling, and using the Denon to pipe music to the patio, garage or wherever is of no interest to me . I only use 5.1 for movies and 2 speakers for music and am perfectly happy.
Honestly -- In your situation I'd be trying to snag a 4520CI on closeout. The new models shouldn't have any "raw" sound quality upgrade vs the ones they replace, they use the same basic processing and amps and whatnot, same XT32 calibration. The biggest changes are peripheral features (addition of WiFi and Bluetooth, some tweaks to menus and options) and of course Dolby Atmos. But if you aren't going to use these, the X4100 for example won't sound any better or differnet than the X4000.

Since it sounds like you want the best "raw" sound quality and music performance, the 4520CI has the improved component circuitry (bigger beefier amps and transistors and whatnot, 32 bit DSP and DAC's, DDSC-HD, etc) that you'd have to pay nearly double the closeout pricing to get in the X7200W. It will have more than enough power to drive nearly any 5.1 setup to reference volumes.

The other option is a lateral step to an equivalent Marantz model like the 7008 on closeout. The Marantz models have additional analog circuitry and proprietary stuff on the amp modules to increase fidelity: http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiv...-sr6008-sr7008

The 7008 is basically a souped up X4000 with the extra Marantz hoozawhatnots, and you aren't paying the premium for the 4520's extra 2 channels of processing and 4th Zone.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
post #46 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Member
 
ken7258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Leaving out HDCP 2.2 is a big mistake. Unless you can stream full res 4K, which I doubt you can because of bandwidth limitations, commercial discs, i.e. B.R., etc. will be the only way to play fill res 4K and you will need HDCP 2.2 to do that. Onkyo has HDCP 2.2, but their AccuEQ is suppose to suck compared to XT32.


Who will get it right is the question?
ken7258 is offline  
post #47 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SanchoPanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beauvoir, Mississippi
Posts: 3,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 471
^^^ Time!
SanchoPanza is online now  
post #48 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Member
 
mylopr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
No, no benefits from Atmos with a basic 5.1 or 7.1 setup. In order for Atmos processing to work you need some sort of "elevated" speakers, either in ceiling, front/rear heights, or upward firing "Dolby enabled" speakers. Note that if you not want to install in ceiling speakers due to WAF the upward firing Atmos speakers allow you to add two or four "top" channels with no additional footprint than a standard 5.1 setup. But you would have to buy new speakers or at minimum separate modules that will sit on top of your existing speakers.

Otherwise, yes, the X4000 at close out pricing is the better value. Same XT32 calibration and pretty much the same in most other respects besides the lack of wifi and Bluetooth. And you still have a variety of options to expand to 7 or 9 channels if needed.
Batpig,

Currently I'm using 5.2 setup and also with a pair Front Heights. My front heights are almost at the ceiling (4-6 inches below the ceiling). Can I use those for Atmos? Or do I need to place them more at the middle of the room? If I can use those front heights would be great for me. Currently I'm using Axioms M3 as Front Heights.

Thanks,
Jose
mylopr is offline  
post #49 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,351
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Yes, you can use them for Atmos. It's not "ideal" as it will obviously be difficult to image sounds directly overhead without speakers up there, but technically you CAN use the Atmos processing with 5.1 + front heights.

If you added a pair of in-ceiling speakers above you then you could run a 5.1.4 setup with Front Height + Top Middle as the Atmos speakers.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
post #50 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
No. The only Receiver manufacturer including HDCP 2.2 is Onkyo and only on one or two in ports and one out port. As has been discussed many times in the other forum, there are really only two chipsets available; one has full HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps)4k at 60hz and 4:4:4 chroma but no HDCP 2.2 while the other has HDMI 2.0 (10Gbps, same as 1.4) 4k at 60hz and 4:2:0 chroma with HDCP 2.2. Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, etc opted for the former while Onkyo is the only manufacturer so far to opt for the latter.
The thread is focused on Denon, not what odd step child Onkyo/Integra provides.
Silicon Image has port interfaces that support HDCP 2.2 now. Last September they announced SiI9679 MHL 3.0 receiver with 2.2 support, also in January they announced the dual-mode Sil9777 port processor which is what most that claim that HDCP support in their specification sheets. They key word is that they support and are upgradable for what HDCP is necessary for UD BD's.

Both HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 had provisions for high speed support up to 10.2 GB which was earlier for 3D support and later for 2160P@30hz support. The Bump that HDMI 2.0 provides (18 GB) is not so much the 2160P@ 50/60 Hz supports but as you mentioned the 10/12 bit color depth using 4:4:4. From what I seen so far given bandwidth, storage, I'm not seeing media coming soon that would be 2160P@50/60 Hz, just 2160P@24 hz. For broadcast you would probably want the faster refresh rate for sports, and like. I don't think we need to discuss other brands that raced out of the door with semi HDMI 2.0 interfaces do we in this thread?

The vendors I see producing 4Kx2K video processors for the AVR market is Analog Devices (Denon uses), Silicon Image, and Marvell at this time.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #51 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The thread is focused on Denon, not what odd step child Onkyo/Integra provides.
Silicon Image has port interfaces that support HDCP 2.2 now. Last September they announced SiI9679 MHL 3.0 receiver with 2.2 support, also in January they announced the dual-mode Sil9777 port processor which is what most that claim that HDCP support in their specification sheets. They key word is that they support and are upgradable for what HDCP is necessary for UD BD's.

Both HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 had provisions for high speed support up to 10.2 GB which was earlier for 3D support and later for 2160P@30hz support. The Bump that HDMI 2.0 provides (18 GB) is not so much the 2160P@ 50/60 Hz supports but as you mentioned the 10/12 bit color depth using 4:4:4. From what I seen so far given bandwidth, storage, I'm not seeing media coming soon that would be 2160P@50/60 Hz, just 2160P@24 hz. For broadcast you would probably want the faster refresh rate for sports, and like. I don't think we need to discuss other brands that raced out of the door with semi HDMI 2.0 interfaces do we in this thread?

The vendors I see producing 4Kx2K video processors for the AVR market is Analog Devices (Denon uses), Silicon Image, and Marvell at this time.
Sigh. The only reason I mentioned other manufacturers is to illustrate the available chipsets and my explanation was just a simplification of the facts. I understand that the initial thought was these chipsets would be upgradeable via firmware at a later date but statements from manufacturers prove otherwise. HDCP 2.2 is a hardware upgrade, as I am sure you know. The current chipsets aren't capable of full bandwidth, etc, etc AND HDCP 2.2. Now if you are saying, for instance, that Denon can add HDCP 2.2 to a 2014 receiver and reduce the bandwidth then I will say I don't know if or if not that would be possible; But it doesn't seem to be the case. Next year's receivers will likely see a full implementation of both but it is anyone's guess.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #52 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Next year's receivers will likely see a full implementation of both but it is anyone's guess.
Very true. I like the fact that Denon in these 2104 models appears very progressive, but study the literature and there is no mention of HDCP specifics. Are we not surprised!

BTW whatever happens I will just use what Oppo eventually comes out with that provides dual HDMI outputs, as they say "What me worry!

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #53 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Very true. I like the fact that Denon in these 2104 models appears very progressive, but study the literature and there is no mention of HDCP specifics. Are we not surprised!

BTW whatever happens I will just use what Oppo eventually comes out with that provides dual HDMI outputs, as they say "What me worry!
Yes exactly, any future 4K device I buy will be purchased based on dual HDMI outputs. That x5200w is mine come October!

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #54 of 1278 Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
esappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Poulsbo, Washington
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Man am I glad you separated out the Atmos models from the rest of the 2014 lineup. I have been away for about a week and am trying to catch up on all the juicy information. While I am not too far behind from the other 2014 Denon thread, I am over 1000 posts behind in the Dolby Atmos thread!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Last edited by esappy; 07-28-2014 at 11:44 PM.
esappy is offline  
post #55 of 1278 Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
X4100W vs X4000: - avail Sep/Oct
1 extra HDMI input, 4k/60fps upscale/pass through on all HDMI inputs, ISF Certification, 13.2 main zone pre-outs vs. 11.2, Dolby Atmos (5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2), [no HD radio or InstaPreview]

X5200W vs X4100W: - avail Sep/Oct
11CH vs 9CH processing, 140W vs. 125W, 1 extra analog audio and composite video input, Made in Japan, DHCT (Denon High Current Transistors), gold plated connectors, Dolby Atmos (adds 7.1.4 and 9.1.2) [no HD radio or InstaPreview]


X7200W vs X5200W: - avail Dec
150W vs. 140W, 32 bit DAC vs 24 bit DAC; AL32 Processing Plus vs. AL24 Processing Plus, 7.1 EXT IN, 1 extra component input, 1 extra component output, (rest TBD)

JD, you had previously posted (before splitting this thread off from the thread for the lower 2014 models) that the X5200W would include HD radio (see quote below). Could you pls clear up this discrepancy? And, BTW, many thanks for the considerable legwork you've take on to keep us posted on the minutiae of Denon's sundry models over the years.


QUOTE:

Notable differences comparing the 2014 S/X models vs. their 2013 E/X predecessor:

All models have:
- Built in Bluetooth- HDMI 2.0 (on at least HDMI4 / HDMI5)- ECO mode (reduced power when not required)- Video Select (adds Bluetooth)- Quick Select buttons on the remote (brought back)- 2nd subwoofer pre-out

S700W and higher models
- Built in Wifi- Video Select (adds Spotify Connect)- 4/6 ohm setting- Spotify Connect (Spotify Premium subscription required; started from Android/iOS device)- TV Audio On/Off (defeats AVR switching to TV Audio source when using HDMI (ARC))- Sectional mic stand to support Audyssey mic- DSD and FLAC over USB and network

Additional differences:
X5200W vs X4100W: - avail Sep
11CH vs 9CH processing, 140W vs. 125W, 1 extra analog audio and composite video input, Made in Japan, HD Radio, DHCT (Denon High Current Transistors), gold plated connectors, Dolby Atmos (adds 7.1.4)
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #56 of 1278 Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,476
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
^^
The USA X5200W and X7200W will both include HD radio.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-30-2014 at 08:25 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #57 of 1278 Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Originally I knew for certain that the X4100W did not include it and with the publication of the UK X5200W manual, it's now confirmed the X5200 won't have it either.
Rats! I knew there was no mention of HD radio in the European X5200W manual but assumed that this was not necessarily reflective of the U.S. model. Is it confirmed that the U.S. X5200W will not feature HD radio then? And I assume there is no info one way or the other regarding the X7200W yet?
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #58 of 1278 Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,476
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Correct.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #59 of 1278 Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Figarou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is the X9200W going to be an actual product? I noticed it mentioned in another thread. If not, I plan on getting the X7200W.

I currently have the 4520CI. I'd like to use it to power the extra speakers needed for a 7.2.4 setup. Is it possible to have the 4520CI run lets say, 5 speakers and the X7200W 6.2? Or shall I have the 4520CI power 2 speakers while the X7200W run the rest. I really don't want to sell the 4520CI when it provides the same amplification as the X7200W.
Figarou is online now  
post #60 of 1278 Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,351
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Don't know about the X9200...

with respect to the other point, that seems like a huge waste of resources to use a very recent model, nowhere-near-obsolete 4520CI as a 4-5 ch amp. You could easily sell it for over $1k used and then get something like an Emotiva XPA-3 and pocket a nice profit, end up with MORE actual power with a tool that was designed for the job.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
batpig is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - (X4100 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off