The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200) - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3046Likes

post #1081 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
Which speakers did you purchase and did you get 2 or 4?

Thanks.

Ray
Ray - I have 2 Ascend HTM's which are in the front position and headed towards the middle this weekend since I believe it will sound better using them there - we shall see. Still trying to flush out positioning, good news is that 4 screw holes are a lot easier to repair/fix then a 6" hole
I may even try using a couple of step ladders for testing locations.
tjenkins95 likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG B7 OLED 65" (waiting for cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
So much info, so little time. Of course to understand it all comes into play as well........
Chris - thanks again for taking my order on Thursday and having my 5200x to me on Monday. Great service, nice price, but I will point out that Denon doesn't package things like they use to. The UPS guy could tell I wasn't happy when I saw what the box looked like that he delivered to my office. Fortunately everything is working as promised so far, reading this thread had me a little paranoid given a few owners who have had trouble with their units. I strongly encourage anyone looking to buy a new receiver give our forum sponsors a call. Chris and JD (AV Science) where both very helpful and quick to reply. Chris had a significant advantage since he had the 5200w in stock and I needed a new receiver immediately to replace the one that I had sold. Call them and both will provide great service and very competitive prices. Your choice will be easy - lowest price.

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other toys
post #1083 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So reading through all this, not really clear on atmos or do I care right now; BUT I read the 5200 manual and what I want is a the 7.1 bi-amp'd fronts can the 5200 actually drive that setup without external amps involved and as well I see everyone talking about setups but how does the 5200 actually sound in 2 Ch for music coming from a 5308CI.

post #1084 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 3705 Post(s)
Liked: 3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post
So reading through all this, not really clear on atmos or do I care right now; BUT I read the 5200 manual and what I want is a the 7.1 bi-amp'd fronts can the 5200 actually drive that setup without external amps involved and as well I see everyone talking about setups but how does the 5200 actually sound in 2 Ch for music coming from a 5308CI.
The 5200 has 9 amps built in, and, yes, one of the amp assign options is 7.1ch (Bi-Amp). This will assign 4 amps to the 2 front channels. You can actually still hook up 9 speakers and then switch between different 7ch configs on the fly if you want, although one of the three "extra" pairs of speaker posts beyond 5.1 will be designated for bi-amping. So, for example, if you say you want to bi-amp with the Front Wide speaker posts, then you still can hook up Surr.Back and Front Height and switch between them depending on the surround mode.

As to 2ch music vs. the 5308CI..... that's a tough one to answer. The 5308CI was a very, very high end receiver.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1085 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
THX Batpig, I know right, I still find myself looking through SHHHHH audiogon and ebay for a AVPA1HDCI and AMP on the cheap. To be honest I sold the 5308 a while back and bought the 8801/8807 combo and the amp just gave up the ghost after less then 7 months and the warm and fuzzies I have rec'd from Marantz Canada has left a sour taste, this is the first Marantz product I have ever owned so I am seriously considering selling and switching back to denon BUT when I see how closely the two are in bed it makes me put on the brakes although the built in japan does shed some light.
post #1086 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Is there a fundamental reason the Front Wide speakers are disabled in all of the Dolby surround modes? Front Wides worked on my AVR4810 in Dolby modes - why not in the X5200?

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; 09-17-2014 at 04:50 PM.
post #1087 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15041 Post(s)
Liked: 7257
^^
That was actually Audyssey DSX that was simulating your Front Wide audio as can also be done using DTS Neo:X on more current models.
post #1088 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Is there a fundamental reason the Front Wide speakers are disabled in all of the Dolby surround modes? Front Wides worked on my AVR4810 in Dolby modes - why not in the X5200?

Raybo
There has never been a Dolby surround mode that supported Front Wides. As JD noted, on your old 4810 the only way to matrix FW content was by layering Audyssey DSX on top of whatever DD/DTS signal was playing.

Dolby Surround upmixer (which replaces Pro Logic modes) doesn't matrix to wides, and neither did Pro Logic. The reasoning is that they don't want to muck with the front LCR soundstage.

Native Dolby Atmos content WILL work with the wides, although they will only make noise if they are needed to positionally render an audio object.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1089 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
That was actually Audyssey DSX that was simulating your Front Wide audio as can also be done using DTS Neo:X on more current models.
JD,

Thanks for clarifying the Front Wide functionality mode options. So if I am going to use only the Dolby / DTS modes for my Uverse viewing, as well as playing DVDs then I would never use the FW speakers. If so, I can get rid of my FW speakers, and use the 9 internal Amps plus one external 2-channel Amp for the Top Rear ceiling speakers for an 11.1 layout - - correct?

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; 09-17-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #1090 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Raybo - As a reminder, I explained all this to you already when I replied to your initial post. You can still leave the wides connected since you have 4 channels of external amps and choose to run DTS Neo:X or Audyssey DSX for non-Atmos content if you prefer. See the quote below of my initial response (with some highlights):

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Raybo - Just so you are clear, the X5200 can connect and calibrate a 13ch setup but it can only run 11 channels at once. So with your proposed setup, the wides would be silent with any Atmos content or upmix with Dolby Surround.

Also note that if you want to "share" the front ceiling speakers with non-Atmos modes (e.g. DTS Neo:X or Audyssey DSX upmixers) you have to designate them as "Front Height", not "Top Front". If you designate the four ceiling speakers as "Top Front" and "Top Rear" then Neo:X/DSX upmix will just be 9ch (7.1+wides).

You need to choose the 11.1ch option, and then configure the sub menu options to let it know how many heights you have, where they are located, and which speakers will be powered by internal vs. external amps. If you want to hook up 13 speakers you need a minimum of 4 external amps. This is all covered on pp 218-220 of the manual, and the amp assign setup screen will dynamically change to show your speaker layout and which channels are mandatory for pre-out to external amp as you modify the settings.

In your case, since you have two 2-ch amps, you have to decide which are the four speakers that will go external and the other 9 will be internally amp'd. Your three choices for which four are externally amp'd are:

1. The four ceiling speakers (set the "Wide/Height2" setting to "Front Wide" and "Pre-out" setting to "Top Front & Top Rear")
2. The front L/R mains and the rear ceiling speakers (set the "Wide/Height2" setting to "Front Wide" and "Pre-out" setting to "Front & Top Rear")
3. The front L/R mains and the wides (set the "Wide/Height2" setting to "Top Rear" and the "Pre-out" setting to "Front & Front Wide")

The Front Wide and Top Rear share the Wide/Height2 speaker posts so whichever one is NOT externally amp'd will be connected via speaker wire to those outputs.

So with this proposed setup, you have two options for upmixing non-Atmos content:

DTS Neo:X or Audyssey DSX will play 11.1 with Front Height + Front Wides (rear ceiling speakers silent)
Dolby Surround Upmixer will play 7.1.4 with Front Height + Top Rear (front wide speakers silent)

If you want to go full bore Atmos-only, you can scrap the wides and just do 7.1.4 with DSU or Atmos for all content. In this case you can set the ceiling speakers as Top Front + Top Rear.
nowknown likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1091 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

batpig,

Thanks for the further clarification. I had a stroke a year ago, so it now takes me a while to comprehend all of this in my brain.

Raybo
post #1092 of 11339 Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So,

Have started to reassemble my rack and am in process of hooking up Denon x5200.
It is coupled with a Oppo darby enabled dvd player feeding a jvc x500r.

QUestion....I the Opposet up manual, they suggest several ways to hook up audio and video. Oppo video direct to pj and audio only through receiver vs both audio and video to receiver. I assume sending audio to receiver and video passing thougt the receiver is the best way to do this? IS that correct?
post #1093 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Hi BP,

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

... Audyssey DSX will play 11.1 ...
Does this mean that the Audyssey DSX built into the new D&M products is the new Audyssey DSX 2 version, which has a full 11CH upmixing capacity even with a 2CH source?

Thks,

Hugo
post #1094 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 AM

^^
No, it des not. Same version of DSX as in prior year's models.
post #1095 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrudy View Post
So,

Have started to reassemble my rack and am in process of hooking up Denon x5200.
It is coupled with a Oppo darby enabled dvd player feeding a jvc x500r.

QUestion....I the Opposet up manual, they suggest several ways to hook up audio and video. Oppo video direct to pj and audio only through receiver vs both audio and video to receiver. I assume sending audio to receiver and video passing thougt the receiver is the best way to do this? IS that correct?
Use whichever configuration provides the best video quality for you.
post #1096 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Use whichever configuration provides the best video quality for you.
Lol...thanks

That is what I am trying to figure out. Which configuration will give me best video quality? Is it a question of trial and error or is there a best way to set it up to get best video.
post #1097 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 04:28 AM

post #1098 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
^^
No, it des not. Same version of DSX as in prior year's models.
Thks, JD.

H.
post #1099 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Unhappy two audio issues with my 5200

I've had my 5200 for a week now and I have encountered a couple of little issues that I want to see if anyone else has:
  1. I have definitely experienced the issue again and again that sometimes when when the input switches sound formats, there is no sound. This has happened only with BluRays and only while watching special features or trailers. When it switches from one trailer to the next or from one special feature to the next or from a feature to the main menu, sometimes there will be no sound. When this happens if I leave the feature and come back to it, there will be sound. I am running a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 directly hooked to the BD HDMI input on the Denon. I can't imagine why this is happening. I'm not even sure what to try and it is fairly intermittent. I know someone else here had said this happened on cableTV when switching to a commercial, but I was hoping by now there would be some more people who may have experienced something similar to this.
  2. Another issue that also only occurs when watching special features is that the lip syncing is off (way off). I usually run with HDMI lip syncing turned on, but I have tried it both ways with no success. This happened for all the special features on two BluRays I have watched (Cpt. America 2 and "The Double"). Both of these issues are pretty minor, but they still confuse me. I never had either of these problems with my Denon 4311 and my entire setup is otherwise exactly the same.

Is there anything I should try? Any ideas? Anyone else experience anything like this?

LG OLED65B6P | Samsung UBD 8500 | Denon X5200W | 7.2.4 (Energy RC speakers & Dual SVS PC12-NSDs) | PS4
Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.
post #1100 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi fellows

in regards of the Denon X5200W would you set the front ceiling speakers to "Front Height" or to "Top Front" (see image below).

I ask, because in case of "Front Height" I could also use them for DTS Neo : X or Audyssey DSX.

Much obliged for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolby Atmos 3.jpg
Views:	5344
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	268130  
post #1101 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
I can not wait to hear the 7200!

Last edited by wse; 09-18-2014 at 09:31 AM.
post #1102 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post
I've had my 5200 for a week now and I have encountered a couple of little issues that I want to see if anyone else has:
  1. I have definitely experienced the issue again and again that sometimes when when the input switches sound formats, there is no sound. This has happened only with BluRays and only while watching special features or trailers. When it switches from one trailer to the next or from one special feature to the next or from a feature to the main menu, sometimes there will be no sound. When this happens if I leave the feature and come back to it, there will be sound. I am running a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 directly hooked to the BD HDMI input on the Denon. I can't imagine why this is happening. I'm not even sure what to try and it is fairly intermittent. I know someone else here had said this happened on cableTV when switching to a commercial, but I was hoping by now there would be some more people who may have experienced something similar to this.
  2. Another issue that also only occurs when watching special features is that the lip syncing is off (way off). I usually run with HDMI lip syncing turned on, but I have tried it both ways with no success. This happened for all the special features on two BluRays I have watched (Cpt. America 2 and "The Double"). Both of these issues are pretty minor, but they still confuse me. I never had either of these problems with my Denon 4311 and my entire setup is otherwise exactly the same.

Is there anything I should try? Any ideas? Anyone else experience anything like this?
As JD suggested call Denon and report the issue. You'd be doing all of us 5200x owners a favor.
PoshFrosh likes this.

post #1103 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomparis View Post
Hi fellows

in regards of the Denon X5200W would you set the front ceiling speakers to "Front Height" or to "Top Front" (see image below).

I ask, because in case of "Front Height" I could also use them for DTS Neo : X or Audyssey DSX.

Based on the question its seems as if you've already answered it given you'd like to have the other sound modes available. Personally after day 3 with Dolby Surround I don't see myself using anything but that. For me it is going to be the setup (speakers) that sounds best for that mode. Good luck.
PoshFrosh likes this.

post #1104 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Personally after day 3 with Dolby Surround I don't see myself using anything but that. For me it is going to be the setup (speakers) that sounds best for that mode. Good luck.
It's that good ehh
post #1105 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
As JD suggested call Denon and report the issue. You'd be doing all of us 5200x owners a favor.
Ah yes, I went back and re-read JD's post. I had initally misread it as saying he was unable to reproduce the issue. Thanks for mentioning it again.

I'll contact Denon about it. In the meantime, if anyone else experiences it, please post in the forum so I feel like I have "company".

This reminds me of the Denon 4311 "blue rain" issue back from when I first bought that one. Eventually fixed by a firmware update. Comes with being an early adopter I guess.

Thanks.

LG OLED65B6P | Samsung UBD 8500 | Denon X5200W | 7.2.4 (Energy RC speakers & Dual SVS PC12-NSDs) | PS4
Energy Speakers' specs spreadsheet.
post #1106 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 5072 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
in regards of the Denon X5200W would you set the front ceiling speakers to "Front Height" or to "Top Front"
I would configure them as Front Heights, for a couple of reasons: they're close enough to being over your L/R speakers to fall into that designation, and it will allow you to designate the other pair of ceiling speakers as Top Middle (they're not far enough back to designate as Top Rear).

Sanjay
post #1107 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Hi fellows

tomparis,

Who makes those speaker wall mount brackets? Also, where did you get them?

...Glenn
post #1108 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Let me ask this odd question:

Can I overlay "spotify connect" over another input? I'm assuming not.

Exp: I currently watch DirecTV/whatever and then set up my apple tv as the "DIGITAL" input so I can listen to music that I airplay via spotify over the inane sports play-by-play chatter using the "DIGITAL" input mode. I'm assuming that if I want to use spotify connect that means I'm making a dedicated connection to that functionality???

Hope I'm wrong but I'm almost certain I'm not.

thanks.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #1109 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

As per batpig:

""Also note that if you want to "share" the front ceiling speakers with non-Atmos modes (e.g. DTS Neo:X or Audyssey DSX upmixers) you have to designate them as "Front Height", not "Top Front". If you designate the four ceiling speakers as "Top Front" and "Top Rear" then Neo:X/DSX upmix will just be 9ch (7.1+wides).""

Does the same hold true for what is called Rear Height Speakers (page 29 in the Manual)? Will the top rear speakers function in DTS Neo mode if they are set as Rear Height instead of Top Rear?

thanks,
Raybo
post #1110 of 11339 Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi fellows in regards of the Denon X5200W would you set the front ceiling speakers to "Front Height" or to "Top Front" (see image below).

I ask, because in case of "Front Height" I could also use them for DTS Neo : X or Audyssey DSX., Much obliged for your input.
Nice set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
(X4100/X5200/X7200) , remote , X4100 , X4100W , X5200W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page