AVS Forum banner

The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

814K views 12K replies 849 participants last post by  qwank 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread will cover the three 2014 Denon models with Dolby Atmos and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration. Dec 2014 Update: These models now have the option of a PAID upgrade to add the Auro featureset, which includes Auro2D and Auro3D decoding and the "Auro-matic" upmixer.

Please refer discussion of the non-Atmos 2014 S/X-Series models (i.e. AVR-X3100 and below) to the Official 2014 S/X Owner's Thread.

Official Press Release Announcement of AVR-X4100 and AVR-X5200

Denon AVR-X7200W EU/UK Product Sheet

Can someone explain this Dolby Atmos thing to me??

The three Dolby white papers linked below are essential reading for anyone who wants to understand this paradigm shift in home-theater audio, which literally takes movie sound into the third dimension. Everything you need to know is covered well in these three documents.

Dolby Atmos for the Home Theater
Dolby Atmos-Enabled Speaker Technology
Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guide White Paper

Denon AVR-X4100W ($1,399 msrp)

The new AVR-X4100W is basically an X4000 with Atmos, HDMI 2.0, Bluetooth, WiFi, and an extra HDMI input. There are some other minor changes (noted below) but these are the key differences most will care about. In order to support the variety of potential speaker options, the pre-out count has been upped to 13.2 outputs (from 11.2 on the X4000), although note that a maximum of 9 channels can be active at a time regardless of how many external amps you add. The additional pre-outs are for flexibility if you want to have the option of switching between various speaker configurations (e.g. 7.1 + Wides for DTS Neo:X, and 7.1 + In-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos).

Denon AVR-X5200W ($1,999 msrp)

The X5200W is basically a Japan-made, souped up X4100W. It adds two more internal amps (9 total) rated at 140W/ch into 8 ohms (up from 125W/ch of the X4100), two more channels of processing capability (can run 11 simultaneously instead of 9 max), and fancier gold plated speaker connectors. Like the X4100W, the X5200W has a full set of 13.2 channel pre-outs, but since it can run 11 channels simultaneously, you can switch on the fly (example) from 11ch Neo:X and 7.1.4 Atmos, provided you have sufficient channels of external amplification to supplement the 9 internal amps. The X5200W also borrows from the higher end 4520CI (and its replacement X7200W) by incoporating a beefier "monolithic discrete amplifier" design with upgraded "Denon High Current Transistors" (DHCT), so it can be assumed it will be much more capabable of handling difficult speaker loads than the lower level models.

Denon AVR-X7200W ($TBD msrp)

The X7200W is the new "flagship" and true successor to the 4520CI, as opposed to the X5200 which is probably more of a logical successor to the older 3808CI level. The X7200W steps up the build quality with a physically larger chassis (a bit over 1 inch deeper and taller), is 8 lbs heavier than the X5200 (39lbs vs 31lbs), and upgrades to full 32-bit processing architecture (32-bit DAC's, D.D.S.C - HD32 processing, AL32 instead of AL24, etc). The "discrete monolithic" amplifier design of the 5200 by is upgraded by separating it into two left/right banks of discrete monolithic amplifier channels for better isolation. It also provides 7.1 EXT IN analog inputs, an extra component video input and a second component video output (output scan be configured for Main Zone or other zones). The X7200W, like its 4520CI and 4810CI predecessors, offers more flexibility with custom Amp Assign options (as opposed to the fixed templates on the lower models). And, unlike the lower level models, the X7200W will have the option of a paid hardware upgrade to the new HDCP2.2 chipset sometime in 2015.

What's else is new this year?

Leaving aside Atmos for a moment, the general differences between last year's models and are discussed more thoroughly in the first few posts of the Official 2014 S/X Owner's Thread.. The biggest (non Atmos) differences that most will care about vs. the outgoing X4000 and 4520CI:

* Upgrade to HDMI 2.0 with 3D, 4:4:4 and 4K/60fps pass through support (note that the HDMI ports are NOT certified for HDCP 2.2 however!)
* ISF Certification (allows different Day/Night video calibration settings per input)
* Bluetooth built in for wireless streaming
* Networking and WiFi built in, with support for DSD and hi-rez (192kHZ) FLAC and WAV files via network stream or USB
* Built-in Spotify interface replaced by "Spotify Connect" for all networked models (i.e. you can only control it from a separate device, not from the receiver directly)
* A new "TV Audio On/Off" setting to defeat the annoying auto switching caused by an HDMI-CEC ARC connection
* Heavily revamped smartphone/tablet remote apps coming in the fall with expanded functionality
* Return of Quick Select buttons on the remote (as opposed to just on the front panel)
* Return of the "Channel Level" on screen menu for on the fly adjustments to all channels (note that for the first time this setting is per input not per surround mode)
* Expanded "Option" menu for on-the-fly audio/video adjustments (the "Setup" menus will now be reserved for more global adjustments)
* HDMI and SPDIF digital audio to Zone 2, and SPDIF (no HDMI) digital audio to Zone 3 (the X4000 already had this but the 4520CI didn't).

Some cool new usability enhancements!

Improved Audyssey calibration inferface: The interface is slicker and easier to use, with better visual feedback. There are also some useful changes to the instructions provided, for example the system warns you to not measure close to the back wall, and after the 1st position it informs you to keep the other measurements within 2 feet of the 1st measurement, ensuring a tight "bubble" of measurements that will yield superior results. Also, there is no longer the confusing separation between the "Calculate" and "Store" steps (with many people forgetting to "Store"!). Now, when you complete Audyssey calibration, it proceeds through the calculation and saving of the filters as one step, with a nice progress bar showing what's happening. In addition, while it's calculating/saving, it lets you know you can unplug the mic, and then asks you if you want to turn on Dynamic EQ (default = yes) and Dynamic Volume (default = no) instead of making you wait until the end. Subtle stuff, but a really nice step forward!

Improved All Zone Stereo implementation: The popular "All Zone Stereo" feature which allows you to synchronize any audio source (including HDMI) across all zones continues, but there are a couple of cool enhancements. First, unlike the previous models, it is no longer a requirement to manually turn on the other zones first before engaging All Zone Stereo. When you start All Zone Stereo, the other zones turn on automatically. Second, it is no longer necessary to use ALL the zones. When you open the "Option" menu to access All Zone Stereo option, each of the other zones listed (Zone 2 and Zone 3) has a little checkbox next to. You can check/uncheck which zones you want to "participate" in the All Zone Stereo output, and then when you engage the modes only those zones checked will turn on and start playing.

A new Channel Level adjustment paradigm: Also accessible from the "Option" menu is a new Channel Level adjustment screen. Previous Denons have had on-the-fly Ch Level adjustment menus, but Denon has changed the way they work with the new 2014 lineup. There are two key changes for this year. First, the adjustment is RELATIVE to the baseline established in the Speaker setup menus. In other words, the "default" setting in this menu is always 0dB, and any changes will be plus or minus from the baseline level set in the Speaker menu. Second, the adjustment is stored PER INPUT. So, for example, you can set your Blu-ray input to be +3dB on the subwoofers and +2dB on the center channels, and it will only affect that input and make those adjustments relative to the balanced levels set during auto setup. If you want to make a GLOBAL change to a speaker channel level, you need to go into the GUI and access the Ch Level test tones via Speakers > Manual Setup > Levels.

See less See more
#11,376 · (Edited)
Has Anyone had issues with 4100 shutting down (flashing light) when using zone 2? I'll try the reset trick when I get home but late last night I gave up and went to bed.

I'll try to keep this short, but it might not be....

I have always had pretty much the same setup
TV upstairs, theater downstairs, tv in bar, and tv in bedroom.

Up until last month I had a X4000 as my main receiver for upstairs and X4100 for my theater, atmos, and other TV's. All my equipment sits in a 14x14 basement office.

So basically, every console, PC, Xbox, satellite etc plugs into the 4000, and zone 2 goes into the x4100 that sits inches from it which feeds my PJ and two TV's. So the 4100 really only has one thing plugged into one input and I just use the 4000 as the switcher.

I wanted to do 7.2.4 vs 5.2.4 so I grabbed a x4300h last month. Retired the X4000 and swapped it with my 4100.

So now, everything is plugged into my 4100, and Zone 2 from it goes into my 4300 for my PJ. Easiest swap ever as every connection was identical on all amps. Run the microphone..done.

Thought everything was working. I did have an issue 2-3 times that was odd, Had PC on in zone2, and satellite on in Zone 1 upstairs and the 4100 shutdown, red flashing lights. Having had the red flashing issues with my 4000 years back I didn't panic, just unplugged it and everything came back on once plugged in again.

But now I bought a Xbox one X this week. Note that all my TV's and PJ are 1080p. I'm not using 4k anywhere, no HDR either. The xbox one x right now is set to 5.1, just keeping it basic for troubleshooting, I did try Atmos. I've been playing the thing through my 4100 on my plasma since I got it with ZERO issues. Rock solid. Last night I attempted to try it on the pj as this box is meant to be my uhd atmos player. This is where things went wrong.

With the 4100 main zone OFF. I turn on Zone 2, set it to the Xbox one X input (I've tried different inputs and cables) the second the Xbox one X gets to the dashboard the amp shuts down, quick flashing red light, froze. Need to unplug it try again. If I plug the Xbone X into the 4300, all is fine - movies, games etc. If I start a movie on the xbox one x while using the main zone on the 4100, then turn off the main zone, and turn on the 2nd zone essentially tricking it....all is fine, it even passes Atmos to the 4300 if I have it on. . I can watch the movie....but if I go back to the dashboard...poof red lights on the 4100. Sometimes can even get it to show the dashboard, but as soon as I move the gamepad...poof, red lights. Even If I disconnect Zone 2 cable going from the 4100 to the 4300 so now essentially there is no physical connection between the 4100 and 4300....and turn on the xbox.....wait for it to boot...poof red lights.

On the 4100 Zone 2 is set to pass-through HDMI
On the Xbox I've tried auto display settings, manual, forcing 1080p, 8bit, turn of 50hz, even turn off 24hz....still red lights.

Now, had all of this only started happening on Zone 2 since getting the Xbox one X, I'd just return it. But I did see this shutdown prior to getting it. I can replicate this problem every single time. Tonight I'm going to reset it. Also try putting my x4000 back in place of the 4100.

Of course, warranty was over on 10-22-17.

Has anyone seen this? Xbox one X works perfectly fine on main zone, but zone 2...forget it. So in my mind, the HDMI board is fine, as it works ok on the main zone. But wtf is going on with zone 2? other sources seem ok on Zone 2, it's only the HTPC that's done the same thing. I've got another xbox one original that's ok. PS4 Pro, Ps3...all good on Zone 2 but I will retest them all again tonight.

There's no heat involved here. Heck the volume wasn't even up as it was late at night everyone else in bed. My amps are out in the open, not in a cabinet, and still I have AC infinity coolers on them. Speaker connections are all banana plugs and checked.

I'm at a loss.

#11,377 ·
I'm at a loss.
Check the speaker cables connected to the 4100.

Flashing red lights indicate either an amp/speaker wiring problem or an overheating problem.

Several flashes / second = amp/speaker problem.
Several seconds/ flash = overheating problem

I'd guess that in the process of installing the "new" X4100 receiver some of the fine wires of its speaker cables came loose and are now making intermittent connections to adjacent cables or binding posts.

#11,379 ·
FWIW, the newer Denons tend to run hotter than the older ones due to their higher-frequency HDMI and video circuitry, so problems indirectly due to overheating might tend to show up if the air flow is somewhat restricted, especially when the additional Zone circuitry is turned on.

#11,382 ·
I just acquire an emotiva gen 3, 7 channel pro amp..

The thing is I am not sure what are the setting to choose

When using Auro setup,
I would like to achieve using my L,R,C, and both my surround, plus VOG speakers to use emotive channels, the rest of height speakers shall use x7200

When using Atoms setup,
I would like to achieve using my L,R,C, and both my surround to use emotive channels, the rest of the heights speakers shall use x7200, leaving the VOG "useless" [emoji14]

So how do I configure it?

Or is it just as simple as plug the rca cable from my x7200 pre out to the emotiva will do without me setting anything?

I don't wanna use all as pre since I only have 7 channel on my emotiva

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#11,383 ·
I just acquire an emotiva gen 3, 7 channel pro amp..

The thing is I am not sure what are the setting to choose

When using Auro setup,
I would like to achieve using my L,R,C, and both my surround, plus VOG speakers to use emotive channels, the rest of height speakers shall use x7200

When using Atoms setup,
I would like to achieve using my L,R,C, and both my surround to use emotive channels, the rest of the heights speakers shall use x7200, leaving the VOG "useless" [emoji14]

So how do I configure it?

Or is it just as simple as plug the rca cable from my x7200 pre out to the emotiva will do without me setting anything?

I don't wanna use all as pre since I only have 7 channel on my emotiva

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The VOG speaker will only be active when playing an Auro 3D BD or using the AuroMatic upmixer (ie. not active when playing Atmos/DTS:X or using Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X upmixers).

#11,387 · (Edited)
SiriusXM failure - X5200...

For some reason, my X5200 is very "glitchy" about SiriusXM playback, as I've had intermittent problems since I've had the receiver. Today, when I try to select SXM, it seems to try to start SXM, but keeps throwing up a box that states, "No network connection". However, Pandora and Internet Radio work just fine, so there is obviously an internet connection.

I unplugged the 5200 and then plugged back in, to no avail. I then re-set the router, but that didn't fix it either. Does anybody have any ideas?

Edit: I also performed a reset from the front panel and SXM still shows, "No network connection".:frown:

#11,388 ·
For some reason, my X5200 is very "glitchy" about SiriusXM playback, as I've had intermittent problems since I've had the receiver. Today, when I try to select SXM, it seems to try to start SXM, but keeps throwing up a box that states, "No network connection". However, Pandora and Internet Radio work just fine, so there is obviously an internet connection.

I unplugged the 5200 and then plugged back in, to no avail. I then re-set the router, but that didn't fix it either. Does anybody have any ideas?

Edit: I also performed a reset from the front panel and SXM still shows, "No network connection".:frown:
Refer to post 4 and do a "Network Chip only" reboot.

#11,391 ·
SiriusXM failure - X5200... Update: Denon having issues with SXM

For anyone not able to play SiriusXM on their Denon receiver, I just called Denon customer service and the rep tells me Denon is having an issue communicating with the SiriusXM servers. They are working on it, and are suggesting as a temporary work-around to use Bluetooth from your mobile device that has the SiriusXM app. I am now doing that, but the audio quality doesn't seem as good as the Denon SXM feature.

#11,394 ·
For anyone not able to play SiriusXM on their Denon receiver, I just called Denon customer service and the rep tells me Denon is having an issue communicating with the SiriusXM servers. They are working on it, and are suggesting as a temporary work-around to use Bluetooth from your mobile device that has the SiriusXM app. I am now doing that, but the audio quality doesn't seem as good as the Denon SXM feature.

Thanks for posting....I was just fighting with my 7200wa and SXM thinking it was my wifi then noticed Pandora worked fine.

Also,JD can you twist denon usa arm to breakout the Dolby Vision update for Dec/Jan hopefully in time when us sony owners get the DV update....:D

#11,392 ·
i am using Denon X4100w with Bose Accoustimass 10. The surround speakers are working fine on test mode and stereo/ multi channel stereo modes but soon the source will be changed to DTS or Dolby digital the surround speakers (only) will produce static sound. (for reference, the sound file is attached which was recorded when sound mode has shifted from multi channel stereo to DTS mode). I am using HDMI Cable for ARC and Optical Out from TV to Denon for Sound. Moreover, the same problem also persist even i hear music via airplay or wirelessly.

Kindly give your suggestion or resolution of the said issue.

#11,393 ·
i am using Denon X4100w with Bose Accoustimass 10. The surround speakers are working fine on test mode and stereo/ multi channel stereo modes but soon the source will be changed to DTS or Dolby digital the surround speakers (only) will produce static sound. (for reference, the sound file is attached which was recorded when sound mode has shifted from multi channel stereo to DTS mode). I am using HDMI Cable for ARC and Optical Out from TV to Denon for Sound. Moreover, the same problem also persist even i hear music via airplay or wirelessly.

Kindly give your suggestion or resolution of the said issue.
There is no file attached. Does the static occur with every DD/DTS 5.1 file played? What about from a DVD or Blu Ray disc?

Surround speakers generally refers to all of the speakers in the setup. Do you mean the "side" surrounds (5.1) or "rear" surrounds (7.1) or both pairs?

Refer to post 4 of this thread and first do a "soft reset". If no joy, then do a microprocessor reset.

#11,395 ·
I can't find "Dialogue Enhance" under Audio settings, though it does say the 4200 has it on the manual I came up with on a Google search.

Is simply raising the level of the center channel speaker the same as what "Dialogue Enhance" does?

#11,397 ·
Settings overlay on 4K TV has black screen rather than on the source video

I'm guessing I probably need to do a micro-processor reset, but thought I'd ask to see if there was something else I'm missing.

I upgraded my TV recently from 1080p to 4K. On the 1080p screen, the settings overlay menu would show up over the source video. After making the switch to the 4k screen, and playing around with some settings in the menu, it will only show the settings menu on a black screen. I don't recall if it ever displayed the menu over the source or not on the new screen.

I've ensured that the Setup -> Video -> Output Settings -> Video Conversion is set to on and i/p Scaler Resolution is set to auto, but the settings overlay menu will only show on a black screen. The Master Volume display still shows on the source video, as does the Options menu for dialog enhancer, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#11,398 ·
I'm guessing I probably need to do a micro-processor reset, but thought I'd ask to see if there was something else I'm missing.

I upgraded my TV recently from 1080p to 4K. On the 1080p screen, the settings overlay menu would show up over the source video. After making the switch to the 4k screen, and playing around with some settings in the menu, it will only show the settings menu on a black screen. I don't recall if it ever displayed the menu over the source or not on the new screen.

I've ensured that the Setup -> Video -> Output Settings -> Video Conversion is set to on and i/p Scaler Resolution is set to auto, but the settings overlay menu will only show on a black screen. The Master Volume display still shows on the source video, as does the Options menu for dialog enhancer, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!
With the exception of the upgraded X7200WA, neither the X4100W nor X5200W is 4k capable.

#11,401 ·
#11,404 ·
SiriusXM audio track information display not updating

For some reason, when listening to SiriusXM on my X5200, the information about the currently playing music will not update, or updates 10 minutes or more later. And sometimes the information goes back and forth between two or even three different musical pieces. Mostly it just gets stuck on one info display. The result is that I often cannot tell what is playing. Any ideas why this happens and if anything can be done about it? BTW, the music sounds just fine, except that it drops the connection once in a while.

#11,405 ·
Hi All,

I hope this hasn't been asked before but lately I'm starting to have trouble with my HDMI connections on my X4100w. I initially thought the freezing and stuttering on my FIOS cable box was caused by the box itself but after having them update the firmware, the problem kept reappearing. I decided to change the HDMI port and sure enough, the problem went away. Now several months later I'm having problems with the port I used for my HTPC. I lose audio sync badly nearly every time I play anything through my HTPC (Netflix, Youtube, Kodi). The temporary solution is to restart the receiver but anytime I pause or the screen resizes like when going into full screen mode in Netflix, the audio loses sync not to mention glitches. I switched ports again and the problem went away for a little while but increased in occurrence and now I'm down to my last two ports. Is this the sign of an HDMI board failure? Has anyone had any experience with this? I haven't had these problems until the last 6 months and I've had this receiver since it was first introduced. Oh, and another strange indicator of this problem is that my front LED panel glitches every once in a while with the screen going blank very quickly and coming back. It only does this on the inputs where this problem exists. I have a PS3 that I use occasionally for Blu Ray but haven't had a problem on that port.

Thanks,

DD

#11,408 ·
Before I dig into the manual to figure out how to wire my 5200 for this, can someone tell me if I can drop the rear surrounds (base level speakers) and instead run front wides?

I'm currently running a 7.1.4 Atmos configuration, and I believe its the top back speakers that are running off a two channel outboard amp.

#11,409 · (Edited)
Before I dig into the manual to figure out how to wire my 5200 for this, can someone tell me if I can drop the rear surrounds (base level speakers) and instead run front wides?

I'm currently running a 7.1.4 Atmos configuration, and I believe its the top back speakers that are running off a two channel outboard amp.
Yup. :)

#11,413 ·
I would update FW, and full reset afterwards, before you start. Then when you have setup AVR and Audyssey etc, SAVE the settings.

#11,421 ·
7200WA 4k issues. Help

I have a 4k projector plugged into monitor 1 and a 1080p rack monitor plugged into monitor 2. The only way the Denon will recognize the 4k projector is by unplugging the 1080p rack monitor. If I don't the the 4k projector comes up with a message stating that "this tv does not support 4k and this content will display in 1080p". If I unplug the monitor the projector displays 4k as it should. Any help from anyone?

#11,422 ·
I have a 4k projector plugged into monitor 1 and a 1080p rack monitor plugged into monitor 2. The only way the Denon will recognize the 4k projector is by unplugging the 1080p rack monitor. If I don't the the 4k projector comes up with a message stating that "this tv does not support 4k and this content will display in 1080p". If I unplug the monitor the projector displays 4k as it should. Any help from anyone?
Read your manual regarding the Video Output setting in the setup menu....you may have to make a change from the default setting of Auto (Dual)

#11,424 ·
Well, my trusty receiver has appeared to throw in the towel. Fired it up yesterday to watch some hockey and got no sound. It initially wasn't passing any video either. Swapped a few cables in and out and managed to get the video going, but no sound. Tried every setting, combo I could think of. I even went so far as to fire up Audyssey figuring if nothing else, that should at least produce SOME sound. Nope.....I think she's dead Jim. I might dink around with it tonight and do a the reset thing. Sadly I'm out of warranty, so whats the recommended replacement now days? X4400H?

#11,428 ·
Troubleshooting help: Denon X4100w input cycling

Not sure if there is a common solution to this, but recently my AVR upon powering up cycles the HDMI input. Bought new about 3 to 4 years ago.

The power is constant, can see the display...but about a dozen times the speaker icons on the display disappears and then reappears. The tv screen goes blank and audio disappears (simultaneously), then they both "cycle" on and off for about a dozen times. Then it just works, as if once its warmed up it works as expected.

The symptom is as if the HDMI input signal was intermittently cutting in and out.

I switched HDMI cables, switched HDMI input sources, and continue to have the same problem, so the problem is within the AVR, i also switched HDMI input ports on the back of the AVR...its not the port or internal wiring to a specific port, i get the same issue across various HDMI input ports.

I also updated to the latest firmware, AFTER experiencing the issue.

Anyonrme have any suggestions on further troubleshooting or fix?

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#11,429 ·
Not sure if there is a common solution to this, but recently my AVR upon powering up cycles the HDMI input. Bought new about 3 to 4 years ago.

The power is constant, can see the display...but about a dozen times the speaker icons on the display disappears and then reappears. The tv screen goes blank and audio disappears (simultaneously), then they both "cycle" on and off for about a dozen times. Then it just works, as if once its warmed up it works as expected.

The symptom is as if the HDMI input signal was intermittently cutting in and out.

I switched HDMI cables, switched HDMI input sources, and continue to have the same problem, so the problem is within the AVR, i also switched HDMI input ports on the back of the AVR...its not the port or internal wiring to a specific port, i get the same issue across various HDMI input ports.

I also updated to the latest firmware, AFTER experiencing the issue.

Anyonrme have any suggestions on further troubleshooting or fix?

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You could give a microprocessor reset (see post 4) a try otherwise, if purchased with a credit card, check to see if your credit card features a 1 or 2 year extended warranty for repair.

#11,430 ·
Quick Select behavior

Hello everybody! I have a 7200WA I bought a few months ago, and I use its' remote to control my entire system. How do you make the Quick Select buttons switch the input source being controlled by the remote?

The Quick Select buttons can (among other things) switch between active sources on the receiver itself, but the source the remote is actually controlling doesn't change. Depending on what you're using them for, this behavior could be a good thing. But for my purposes . . .

If I'm changing the source on the receiver using Quick Select, (as a macro would) I want the remote to switch control to that new source as well without having to additionally push a source button on the remote. The macro buttons switch between active sources on the remote plus the receiver, wish the Quick Selects could be programmed to do same.

Having played with things for a bit now, I'm pretty sure what I want isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks

#11,431 ·
Hello everybody! I have a 7200WA I bought a few months ago, and I use its' remote to control my entire system. How do you make the Quick Select buttons switch the input source being controlled by the remote?

The Quick Select buttons can (among other things) switch between active sources on the receiver itself, but the source the remote is actually controlling doesn't change. Depending on what you're using them for, this behavior could be a good thing. But for my purposes . . .

If I'm changing the source on the receiver using Quick Select, (as a macro would) I want the remote to switch control to that new source as well without having to additionally push a source button on the remote. The macro buttons switch between active sources on the remote plus the receiver, wish the Quick Selects could be programmed to do same.

Having played with things for a bit now, I'm pretty sure what I want isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks
"As a macro would" indeed. :)

You're fortunate in that only the "flagship" models (ie. X7200WA) feature 4 MACRO buttons (A,B,C,D) at the bottom of the remote (p. 293 Owner's manual) each of which can store up to 18 steps. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

#11,439 ·
Hi All,

I'm considering selling my AVP-A1 and buying a near new x7200WA. Wanting to "catch up" a little on the newer features and likely install ceiling speakers for atmos, plus 4k.

Any reason in March of 2018 to not buy an X7200WA ? The model has been around a while, but I'm not excited about sinking money into the latest cutting edge unit, only to find it is worth 1/2 in 12 months. And the X7200WA doesn't seem to miss out on much. I've also got an Audyssey Pro kit which I understand I can use with this receiver.

I've lost enough on the AVP-A1. I'm happy with second best if it saves me enough to upgrade again in 5 years.

Thoughts ?

#11,440 ·
If you don't want or need the newer features in the X8500H (13CH) model, the X7200WA would serve you well as it will be receiving the DV + HLG update next month to bring it up to date with the 2017 4k models. Aside from purchasing another Audyssey Pro license for the X7200WA, you can use the Pro Kit with it, whereas no longer possible on the 2016 and newer models.

#11,446 ·
How to connect my 5200 to new 4K TV and Oppo 203?

Hi all,

Not being very technically savvy and up to date, I'm not sure what my AVR-X5200 can and cannot do with respect to the latest 4K TVs and HDR signals. I now have seven UHD Blu-ray discs and will be adding to my collection. I'd love to connect the Oppo directly to the 5200 and then run a HDMI cable to the new Sony 900E series TV. But I thought I read somewhere that the 5200 is not fully compatible with 4K and HDR signals. So, I currently am employing two HDMI cables from the Oppo. One HDMI cable goes directly to the TV for video and the other goes to the Denon for audio. The problem with this arrangement is that I can no longer see the Denon menu overlay on the TV, so it's hard to see what I'm doing when I go into the Oppo's settings menu. Any tips much appreciated.

#11,447 ·
Hi all,

Not being very technically savvy and up to date, I'm not sure what my AVR-X5200 can and cannot do with respect to the latest 4K TVs and HDR signals. I now have seven UHD Blu-ray discs and will be adding to my collection. I'd love to connect the Oppo directly to the 5200 and then run a HDMI cable to the new Sony 900E series TV. But I thought I read somewhere that the 5200 is not fully compatible with 4K and HDR signals. So, I currently am employing two HDMI cables from the Oppo. One HDMI cable goes directly to the TV for video and the other goes to the Denon for audio. The problem with this arrangement is that I can no longer see the Denon menu overlay on the TV, so it's hard to see what I'm doing when I go into the Oppo's settings menu. Any tips much appreciated.
Yes. That is the problem you can not resolve. Your video is no more coming out of Denon. You will be able to see everything from Oppo though.
I will let someone who has similar setup to pitch in as to how they deal with it.

#11,459 ·
And I updated at 6am this morning without a glitch

#11,463 ·
hi all,

I am facing a issue with my x5200.

I cannot get tv audio without turning on my media player connected using hdmi.

I have tried unplug the power of the media player while the hdmi remains connected to the avr, there is no sound.

I need to disconnect the hdmi cable or turn on the media player to get tv audio.

I have turn ON hdmi control, set auto switch to tv audio ON on the avr.

I just wan to get tv audio with my media player off. currently this is my only input to the avr.

can anyone help me please??

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
What do you mean by "TV Audio"? Are you trying to pass the Media Player video+audio to the TV while the AVR is in Standby and then using the TV's speakers for audio?

#11,464 ·
I mean I am trying to play netflix on my lg oled tv and want to get the tv audio ARC back to avr and play through my external speakers.

it seems that as long as the media player hdmi is connected to the avr. I am unable to get tv audio ARC to the avr.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#11,473 ·
Also note that the DD+ stream on Netflix titles isn't necessarily higher quality than the standard DD. DD+ is capable of higher bitrates, but its primary attraction for streaming content providers is that it's much more efficient than legacy DD, so you can get the same quality with a lower bitrate. So it's possible it's literally the same audio quality, just packaged differently.

The one caveat here is if you have a 4K Netflix app that is streaming UHD titles with Atmos, because Atmos requires the DD+ bitstream (can't go over regular DD).

#11,474 ·
Also note that the DD+ stream on Netflix titles isn't necessarily higher quality than the standard DD. DD+ is capable of higher bitrates, but its primary attraction for streaming content providers is that it's much more efficient than legacy DD, so you can get the same quality with a lower bitrate. So it's possible it's literally the same audio quality, just packaged differently.

The one caveat here is if you have a 4K Netflix app that is streaming UHD titles with Atmos, because Atmos requires the DD+ bitstream (can't go over regular DD).
Well, if that's the case, I think I'll just stick with optical from the 900E to my AVR. When I first got the TV, I tried ARC, but it seemed rather a hassle. It was really unwieldy to me and there was a lot of "switching to external speakers" and "switching to TV speakers" going on.

#11,479 ·
Since you're only running 7 speakers, the amp assign setting doesn't really matter as long as there are at least 7.1ch assigned to main zone (e.g. 7.1ch+Zone2 default will work fine).

Then set:

Height Speakers = 2 Height Speakers
Height Layout = Top Middle

Connect the overheads to the "Height1 R/L" speaker outputs.

Re-run Audyssey and off you go.