AVS Forum banner

Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread

566K views 8K replies 365 participants last post by  jpahos 
#1 · (Edited)
I would prefer to have this thread open for anyone, but have decided to start it out as a resource for owners only to post. This is a long anticipated pre-pro that has been discussed almost to death before any of us had the chance to actually see or touch one. In an effort to draw speculation and pre conceived notions to an end, I will begin with my fewer than 30 hour long experience with the XMC-1 with a post that I put together earlier for another thread:

Well, I am hardly an Emotiva "insider"; rather someone who signed up for the XMC-1 on the same day I ordered my UMC-1 several years ago. But, mine arrived yesterday and has been in my system since 6 pm last evening.

Contrary to the teething issues that some experienced with the early UMC-1s, the fact is that I set this unit up in the time it took to remove the UMC-1, the 7.1 analog cables, set it into the rack and hook up the HDMI cables from the Directv box, the Oppo, a Toshiba HDDVD player, an Adcom CD player and a Logitech Touch. Based upon my impression of the sound quality through HDMI and Direct, I am not sure that I will re-install the 7.1 analog cables.

I used my RS SPL meter to set the levels for preset 1 and immediately put on a series of CDs that reflect the best sounding media I have. Without exception, each CD came across (out of very old Energy Reference Connoisseurs) with better detail and clarity than I have ever heard from these sources and through these speakers. Yes, this is a subjective assessment, but that is pretty much all that anyone will get from me on sound quality.

I watched The Golden Compass for about 20 minutes which was long enough to decide, for the moment, at least, that my dedicated HT probably does not need the tweaks that are yet to come from Dirac. I will be happily and pleasantly surprised if the Dirac process provides a significant overall sound-field improvement in my HT, but I currently feel that this box is worth the price even if I never see Dirac. The clarity I perceived with CD music came through in the movie with very clear dialogue. I have found myself being increasingly critical of actor's mushy diction and some of the dialogue in The Golden Compass was problematic for me. That problem was not present through the XMC-1. Sounds associated with object or character movement across the screen were clearly and evenly represented. For anyone who is wondering, I am running Energy RC-LCRs across the front for movies, Emotiva ERD-1s for surrounds and backs, 3 UPA-1 monos for L/C/R, two UPA-2s for back and surrounds, and two powered subs; one Rhythmic and one NHT. For music, I switch to the aforementioned vintage Energy RefConns.

The manual is in preliminary form, yet it is far and away the most task oriented and intuitively written audio manual I have ever read. The menu system seems to be both potent and simple. Most folks who spend a thoughtful 10-15 minutes will have a workable command of the input assignments and settings. Even with the preliminary settings I ran through, all of my sources are performing beyond my immediate expectations.

Clearly, there will be much more to come to understand about getting the most out of this box's capabilities, but for now, it seems like I could stop tweaking today and feel that all my sources are well represented. While it is nice to have that feeling, I know that I am just at the beginning of what I expect to be an ongoing customizing and overall improvement to my system.

This was worth the wait.

As I stated in the opening, this is to be a resource thread. It is not for anything other than specific discussions about the unit you have in your system. After we establish a base of information derived from owners experiences, I would like to open it up for anyone to participate. In the meantime, non owners are free to PM me with specific questions about my unit.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3,519 ·
Sorry to Intrude

Thanks for starting this thread: and note it is for XMC-1 owners only : guests may be invited: please PM me

there is another thread for chat/ non owners

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-technical-talk-only-please.html#post25680793
XMC-1 owners

The opening post in this thread states that the thread is “as a resource for owners only to post,” so by definition I am crashing this thread, and if I get no response to my query, I will go quietly.

My reason for contacting XMC-1 owners is that apparently Emotiva is going to be releasing new pre-pros in 2016. I have been told they are working on 12 channel and16 channel models. It is probably too early to start a new thread which speculates about the new models, but it is not too early to ask present owners what they would like to see.

I am attracted to the XMC-1 because of its relative simplicity compared to pre-pros from Marantz and Integra. It is my opinion, I understand others disagree,that the extra features are many times the things that cause problems in electronic gear.

Based on the above assumption, I can do without blue tooth, photo streaming, air play,windows and smart phone compatibility and other features that tend to cause problems. All of those features are available in add-on devices such as Apple TV, Roku, Oppo, etc. I understand the reality of consumer demand, so maybe the lack of those features would make a pre-pro less marketable, so the very thing that attracts me to the XMC-1 might repel mass market retailers, and Emotiva has said it wants to enter the mass retail market.

Here is what I would liketo see in a new pre-pro:

DTS – latest edition and lower

Dolby Latest edition and lower

Dolby Atmos

Auro-3D

Some kind of room treatment software.

The latest HDMI compatibility (4K stuff)

The ability to update video switching technology.

Internet – WiFi for updates

However, you folks are using Emotivas latest device, so you know better than I what features should be included in the next generation pre-pros. I understand if you think this is a diversion from the very important conversations you have been having about the XMC-1, and if you do not want to discuss this topic, I will wait until later in the year and start a new thread.

Thank you for indulging me; your silence will convince me stay away from this thread.

Regards

Alanlee

#3 ·
My gear list

It is helpful for me to understand the context for impressions people offer regarding audio equipment. Knowing what they have or have had in their systems adds to the perspective, in my view.

So here is what I currently have in the rack and around the room as well as a few references to what preceded some of these pieces.

XMC-1
UMC-1 retired
Rotel RSP-1066 - retired and sold
B&K AVP1000 -retired and in the closet
Optoma HD73 -retired and in the closet
Optoma HD25e
Carada 120"
3 UPA-1s Front
2 UPA-2s sides and rear
Rythmic F12 SW
NHT SW-1
Audiosource AMP100 Zone 2
Oppo BDP-83
Toshiba HD-A20
Sony Betamax (just kidding)
Adcom GCD-700
DirecTV HR44
Energy Pro 22 RefConns - for stereo music
Energy RC-LCRs L/C/R - for HT
Emo ERD-1s side and rear
8 Impedance match volumecontrols/speaker sets for Zone 2
Harmony One Remote
Monitored Security
Winchester Defender 12 gauge :eek:

Reactions: ceetee1115
#19 ·
So here is what I currently have in the rack and around the room as well as a few references to what preceded some of these pieces.

XMC-1
Harmony One Remote
Does Logitech already have the XMC loaded in the Harmony database? Lonnie mentioned to me at Emo-ATL that they had already sent codes to the major remote makers, but that implementation timing was (understandably) out of Emo's hands.

#4 ·
Thanks for starting this thread. Got mine yesterday and it replaced a UMC-1 which has been pretty good since the last firmware I installed about a year ago. The XMC-1 is hooked up to an XPA-3 amp that runs my front sound stage and also a UPA-7 that runs the side and rears as well as the aura pro bass shakers.

Loving it so far--with just the levels set correctly using a sound meter and the sizes correct, it sounds noticeably clearer and more distinctive than the umc-1. My basis of comparison is limited but after viewing many different scenes in movies that I'm familiar with, this is easily the best processor I've ever heard.

I'll post more thoughts or issues I have after a few more days with it.

-TK

Reactions: markrubin
#6 ·
I think that most decent processors are going to sound clean with respect to what they send to the speakers. Where the difference comes in, to my ears, is what ends up being sent.

The detail that comes through with my XMC-1 is greater than that which I have listened to playing several CDs and SACDS that I consider to be good examples of various sounds (certain female vocals, strings, including pianos and brass) resolving.

Having played these recordings many times through 4 different processors, I now hear things that simply were not there before. Sometimes this level of detail might not be entirely desirable if it happens to emphasize fret buzz or slight breaks in a singer's voice. But, from my perspective, greater detail in what was captured in the original recording is good if it comes about as a result of the processor adding little or no degradation to the final reproduction. And, that is where I believe that the XMC-1 really shines.

Reactions: chalugadp
#16 ·
Yes it does, I just checked the optical and coax outputs into my DC-1 DAC using headphones.

Reactions: bootman_head_fi
#11 ·
Could you list your other 3 processors. I have Marantz av8801 and considering XMC-1. I wonder if one of your processor was Marantz av8801.
No Marantz.

B&K AVP1000

Rotel RSP-1066

Emotiva UMC-1

That covers about the past 13 years.

#23 ·
Harmony One seems to like the XMC-1

Finally took the time to program the Harmony remote to match the XMC-1 setup. So far so good. Also had to delete my old projector and add the new one. Need to add a second "off" press to shut it down. Otherwise everything is working as it did with the UMC-1.

#24 ·
BASS Management

FYI - Good news.. (From the lounge)

Hi all,
We've heard you loud and clear as it relates to dual mono bass management on the XMC-1.

Look for a firmware update by Friday, or Monday at the latest that will add this feature. We've got it running here now and are just banging on it to make sure it's rock solid.

You'll be able to dial in independent delay and EQ settings for each dual mono sub. All other bass management remains the same.

We've also added some additional improvements in this upcoming SW package will further improve the XMC-1's performance, stability, and features.

Firmware release notes will be included with the package.

As I mentioned before, the XMC-1 and its progeny are going to be different animals. We control 100% of what's going on now, and I believe it shows.

Thanks for your support and trust.

Cheers,
Big Dan

#27 ·
FYI - Good news.. (From the lounge)

Hi all,
We've heard you loud and clear as it relates to dual mono bass management on the XMC-1.

Look for a firmware update by Friday, or Monday at the latest that will add this feature. We've got it running here now and are just banging on it to make sure it's rock solid.

You'll be able to dial in independent delay and EQ settings for each dual mono sub. All other bass management remains the same.

We've also added some additional improvements in this upcoming SW package will further improve the XMC-1's performance, stability, and features.

Firmware release notes will be included with the package.

As I mentioned before, the XMC-1 and its progeny are going to be different animals. We control 100% of what's going on now, and I believe it shows.

Thanks for your support and trust.

Cheers,
Big Dan
Yes!
And a big thank you to igorzep for helping me (and others) push this idea out to Emotiva.

#26 ·
It is via a flash drive.
(I actually prefer this method when possible, borking some over the internet upgrades of motherboard firmware upgrades in the past)
Should be painless compared to previous products.

#33 ·
XMC-1 Owner too

Hi everyone,
I had the UMC-1 and UMC-200 and have just taken receipt of the XMC-1. The UMC-1 was a little problematic for me but the UMC-200 and now the XMC-1 are working like a champ.

I like the changes in the GUI which are more like the UMC-1 where inputs are assignable. I did re-cable everything to XLR but the main reason is I like the connection style better than the RCA. I have my unit bi-wired to my 802's with my XPA-2's and the ERC using the Balanced In. The trigger functionality is very comprehensive and I like when I plug in my headphones that it does an auto-standby on the amps and turns them on when I pull the headphone out. I have to listen to low volume music on weekends and really appreciate the Fletcher-Munson volume compensation.

I chose to receive the XMC-1 before Dirac as I had a lot of other things I could do with the processor. I have set my distances manually but will wait patiently for the Dirac for the room correction and do not envision myself getting immersed in the REW or OmniMic ( I have a Sailboat and Golf clubs that demand some attention too).

I have the worst room in the world and so I know my system needs tweaking once Dirac hits my rack. :) The biggest game changer that I see from us enthusiasts is that now we can focus on feature function talk and start to leverage some applied learning with each other. I am glad you all started this thread. :)

#34 ·
The biggest game changer that I see from us enthusiasts is that now we can focus on feature function talk and start to leverage some applied learning with each other.
I suspect this will be increasingly true once you guys have Dirac up and running. Learning how to do proper setup and target curve tweaking will require time and proper group support.

Something to look forward to.:)

#38 ·
I hope the update also fixes the pink noise for channel level calibrations. (Needs to be bandlimited for that, not wideband which is for EQ.)

#41 ·
Are you asking whether you have to close the menu in order to apply/hear your distance changes?

I know that level changes with the white noise tone occur on the fly, but I am not sure how to confirm whether changes occur with distance/delay on the fly. Seems like you would need to have more than one speaker active in order to detect relative delay changes.

#55 ·
Peq is on the fly and instant. There is multiple settings so you can have manual 1 as flat,manual 2 with house curve, and manual 3 with fletcher curve.

On my umc200 I use 6 songs I have heard hundreds of times. They cover the whole musical spectrum. I tweak by ear, measure and then fine tune by ear again.

#199 ·
Peq is on the fly and instant. There is multiple settings so you can have manual 1 as flat,manual 2 with house curve, and manual 3 with fletcher curve.

On my umc200 I use 6 songs I have heard hundreds of times. They cover the whole musical spectrum. I tweak by ear, measure and then fine tune by ear again.
How do you do the house curve? Can you have a curve that is higher volume in the low frequencies with gradual roll of as you go to the high frequencies. ie starting at 20 Hz being about 10 db higher vs 20 KHz but doing a gradual slope from 20 Hz to 20KHz?

#60 · (Edited)
1) Does Dirac Live work for the 7.1 analog input?

2) Does the Dirac Live corrected 7.1 analog input get digitised and output via HDMI?

3) What if I don't have any HDMI video input but only 7.1 analog input? Will the Dirac Live corrected audio still be digitised and output via HDMI to my receiver?

4) Does the HDMI input get converted to analog and the Dirac Live corrected audio output via 7.1 analog to my analog receiver?

5) Why is it unable to perform Dirac Live room correction on DSD? How is this different from performing room correction on Dolby or DTS streams? Either way it has to decode to PCM internally.

I am highly skeptical of any device's ability to perform 3 & 4.

I want to use this to connect my PC to the receiver while using my Sound Blaster Zx since I want hardware OpenAL and the sound card's headphone amp and beam forming microphone. Therefore I cannot use HDMI or USB.

#64 · (Edited)
The analog inputs are just a passthrough.
Just about every preamp with 7.1 inputs operates like this so this shouldn't be a shocker.

The digital equivalent of this is a DSD input from a SACD player.

That also doesn't get any processing and is pass through as is.
(and this is usually the case for those type of signals with other gear that can handle DSD directly)

#120 ·
The analog inputs are just a passthrough.
Just about every preamp with 7.1 inputs operates like this so this shouldn't be a shocker.
The XMC-1 web page specifically mentions Analog In to Analog Out via a digital signal path. It doesn't mention anywhere that the 7.1 Analog In is an analog path. The UMC-200 web page specifically mentions the 7.1 Analog In is a pure analog path.

Can someone test whether the 7.1 Analog In plays back via the HDMI Out. Can you test both with and without a HDMI input source?

#78 ·
From Dan at Emo:

Let me jump in here..

The noise generator in the XMC-1 is band limited per the Dolby specification. It is NOT full spectrum pink noise. It is not suitable for use as a full range pink noise signal for frequency response analysis, etc. It is for LEVEL matching. And it is generated prior to the Bass Manager.

Now, the internal sine wave tone generator IS very useful for frequency response calculations, especially in the lower frequencies, where it can help you iron out room mode issues, etc. We'll have technical tips on how to use it effectively soon.

I think the confusion from Lonnie's comments comes from the fact that we have played with a full spectrum pink noise generator option for the XMC-1 that WOULD allow use with an RTA or other analyzer to determine system frequency response. We're trying to decide it this is too much to think about for our customers... I'm sure you'll let us know. We've been worried about having two noise generators, especially when most of you will use Dirac... which uses swept tones!

As the unit is currently shipped, it has a band limited noise generator per the Dolby spec.

#80 ·
If no one does it first, I'll be happy to test it when I get mine. I've placed my order, and am just waiting for it to ship.

I'm familiar enough with REW. Someone will just need to tell me how to do this particular test :) Hopefully one of the folks who has it in their rack can do the test now rather than waiting for me to get my unit.

#82 · (Edited)
I used my RS SPL meter to set the levels for preset 1 and immediately put on a series of CDs that reflect the best sounding media I have. Without exception, each CD came across (out of very old Energy Reference Connoisseurs) with better detail and clarity than I have ever heard from these sources and through these speakers. Yes, this is a subjective assessment, but that is pretty much all that anyone will get from me on sound quality.
"If it's white noise that is not band limited then the signal is useless for setting levels with a SPL meter."

^^^
Totally agree....Goes back to my question and using SPL

#83 ·
From this quote from Dan at Emo;

"The noise generator in the XMC-1 is band limited per the Dolby specification. It is NOT full spectrum pink noise. It is not suitable for use as a full range pink noise signal for frequency response analysis, etc. It is for LEVEL matching. And it is generated prior to the Bass Manager."

One would surmise, from Dan's statement, that the, as yet not quite named, noise generator that is present in the XMC-1 is suitable for level matching with an SPL meter.

#88 ·
I'm considering ordering the XMC-1 this weekend. I just purchased a 75" Samsung Curved 4k TV. Should I be concerned that the XMC-1 is using HDMI 1.4b and not 2.0? What shortcomings will this present as more true 4k content becomes available in the coming months?

Right now I am running an Onkyo 818, Outlaw Audio Model 7500, Emotiva ERM 6.2/6.3 (LCR) and ERD-1 (rears), HSU VTF-3 sub in a 5.1 setup. Wondering if I am better off waiting until the end of the year when receivers start shipping with HDMI 2.0 since I am an early 4k user.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

#89 ·
I'm considering ordering the XMC-1 this weekend. I just purchased a 75" Samsung Curved 4k TV. Should I be concerned that the XMC-1 is using HDMI 1.4b and not 2.0? What shortcomings will this present as more true 4k content becomes available in the coming months?

Right now I am running an Onkyo 818, Outlaw Audio Model 7500, Emotiva ERM 6.2/6.3 (LCR) and ERD-1 (rears), HSU VTF-3 sub in a 5.1 setup. Wondering if I am better off waiting until the end of the year when receivers start shipping with HDMI 2.0 since I am an early 4k user.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
Right now it is anyone's guess. Are you even sure that your new Samsung TV supports HDCP 2.2? If it doesn't, it is no better than the Emotiva. If it does there is no reason that future 4K sources like Blu-ray players couldn't have dual HDMI outputs like they did for 3D playback where you could feed the video signal directly to the TV and have the other HDMI audio signal going to the XMC with no issues at all. Until all the puzzle pieces are out there you'll hear a lot of doom and gloom scenarios, but I have a feeling there will be options for those out there that have displays that support HDCP 2.2 but not AVRs or pre-pros.

#95 ·
Movie center channel enunciation

Over the years, my ability to decipher certain English speaking actor's accents has ranged from adequate to "was that a word or a belch?"

I take full responsibility for many early years of racing 2 stroke motorcycles with open expansion chamber exhausts systems and the occasional gap that has occurred in my audio spectrum as a result of those youthful excesses, but the fact remains that many of today's actors do not appreciate an obligation to ensure that their diction can be heard by the "old lady in the back row".

So, imagine my pleasant surprise to discover that my ability to hear and actually understand lines in several British and Irish films has improved markedly since I installed the XMC-1 in the rack.

The first bit of evidence I picked up in this regard came from my wife, actually. After watching "The Honorable Woman", she turned to me and asked whether the new processor might have improved the clarity of dialogue in the show. It then occurred to me that we had gone through an hour of listening to Stephen Rea and actually understood everything he said. We went back and played the first (and, unfortunately the only) season of "Fast Eddie" and realized that virtually all of the actor's lines were easier to understand. One might presume that we had a leg up on hearing stuff the second time around, but we have watched "Snatch" a couple of times a year and Brad Pitt and company have always sounded like they were stroke victims. In fact, I am not looking forward to a rewatch on the chance that Pitt will now sound like he grew up in Newport Beach.:eek:

All seriousness aside, I am interested to hear from others on any improvement in center channel dialogue with the XMC-1.

Reactions: MRinDenver
#96 ·
Has shipping of the XMC-1 been stopped or delayed? I ask as there has been no activity in this thread for about five days. I'm surprised more XMC-1 owners have not posted their impressions. For the most part it seems like there are no major issues to speak of with the XMC-1. I'm looking forward to how well Dirac will work.

Bill

Reactions: xcapri79
#98 · (Edited)
As far as I can tell, it's stopped. I provided my payment information 2.5 weeks ago. I have not been charged, and my unit has not shipped. At this point I don't know what to think. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that Emotiva is sitting on $600,000+ in revenue while they wait for a minor firmware update that is supposed to be as easy as pie to apply. I'm trying hard not to speculate, but it's certainly weird...

#97 · (Edited)
Bill

There are few over at the Lounge that have been waiting 3 weeks since receiving an email and making the purchase. Dan made a comment things were held up over the newest firmware for a few days but that was on Monday. Anyone's guess WTF is going on over there. They are still working on early 2012, so anyone that just ordered has a good wait ahead of them at this rate.