Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #1 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Emotiva XMC-1 Owners Only Thread

I would prefer to have this thread open for anyone, but have decided to start it out as a resource for owners only to post. This is a long anticipated pre-pro that has been discussed almost to death before any of us had the chance to actually see or touch one. In an effort to draw speculation and pre conceived notions to an end, I will begin with my fewer than 30 hour long experience with the XMC-1 with a post that I put together earlier for another thread:

Well, I am hardly an Emotiva "insider"; rather someone who signed up for the XMC-1 on the same day I ordered my UMC-1 several years ago. But, mine arrived yesterday and has been in my system since 6 pm last evening.

Contrary to the teething issues that some experienced with the early UMC-1s, the fact is that I set this unit up in the time it took to remove the UMC-1, the 7.1 analog cables, set it into the rack and hook up the HDMI cables from the Directv box, the Oppo, a Toshiba HDDVD player, an Adcom CD player and a Logitech Touch. Based upon my impression of the sound quality through HDMI and Direct, I am not sure that I will re-install the 7.1 analog cables.

I used my RS SPL meter to set the levels for preset 1 and immediately put on a series of CDs that reflect the best sounding media I have. Without exception, each CD came across (out of very old Energy Reference Connoisseurs) with better detail and clarity than I have ever heard from these sources and through these speakers. Yes, this is a subjective assessment, but that is pretty much all that anyone will get from me on sound quality.

I watched The Golden Compass for about 20 minutes which was long enough to decide, for the moment, at least, that my dedicated HT probably does not need the tweaks that are yet to come from Dirac. I will be happily and pleasantly surprised if the Dirac process provides a significant overall sound-field improvement in my HT, but I currently feel that this box is worth the price even if I never see Dirac. The clarity I perceived with CD music came through in the movie with very clear dialogue. I have found myself being increasingly critical of actor's mushy diction and some of the dialogue in The Golden Compass was problematic for me. That problem was not present through the XMC-1. Sounds associated with object or character movement across the screen were clearly and evenly represented. For anyone who is wondering, I am running Energy RC-LCRs across the front for movies, Emotiva ERD-1s for surrounds and backs, 3 UPA-1 monos for L/C/R, two UPA-2s for back and surrounds, and two powered subs; one Rhythmic and one NHT. For music, I switch to the aforementioned vintage Energy RefConns.

The manual is in preliminary form, yet it is far and away the most task oriented and intuitively written audio manual I have ever read. The menu system seems to be both potent and simple. Most folks who spend a thoughtful 10-15 minutes will have a workable command of the input assignments and settings. Even with the preliminary settings I ran through, all of my sources are performing beyond my immediate expectations.

Clearly, there will be much more to come to understand about getting the most out of this box's capabilities, but for now, it seems like I could stop tweaking today and feel that all my sources are well represented. While it is nice to have that feeling, I know that I am just at the beginning of what I expect to be an ongoing customizing and overall improvement to my system.

This was worth the wait.

As I stated in the opening, this is to be a resource thread. It is not for anything other than specific discussions about the unit you have in your system. After we establish a base of information derived from owners experiences, I would like to open it up for anyone to participate. In the meantime, non owners are free to PM me with specific questions about my unit.

2nd round OPPO BDP-83 EAP Selectee

Last edited by bborzell; 07-25-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Thanks for starting this thread: and note it is for XMC-1 owners only : guests may be invited: please PM me

there is another thread for chat/ non owners

Emotiva XMC-1 Chat Thread: technical talk only please

Last edited by markrubin; 07-25-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #3 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

My gear list

It is helpful for me to understand the context for impressions people offer regarding audio equipment. Knowing what they have or have had in their systems adds to the perspective, in my view.

So here is what I currently have in the rack and around the room as well as a few references to what preceded some of these pieces.

XMC-1
UMC-1 retired
Rotel RSP-1066 - retired and sold
B&K AVP1000 -retired and in the closet
Optoma HD73 -retired and in the closet
Optoma HD25e
Carada 120"
3 UPA-1s Front
2 UPA-2s sides and rear
Rythmic F12 SW
NHT SW-1
Audiosource AMP100 Zone 2
Oppo BDP-83
Toshiba HD-A20
Sony Betamax (just kidding)
Adcom GCD-700
DirecTV HR44
Energy Pro 22 RefConns - for stereo music
Energy RC-LCRs L/C/R - for HT
Emo ERD-1s side and rear
8 Impedance match volumecontrols/speaker sets for Zone 2
Harmony One Remote
Monitored Security
Winchester Defender 12 gauge

post #4 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for starting this thread. Got mine yesterday and it replaced a UMC-1 which has been pretty good since the last firmware I installed about a year ago. The XMC-1 is hooked up to an XPA-3 amp that runs my front sound stage and also a UPA-7 that runs the side and rears as well as the aura pro bass shakers.

Loving it so far--with just the levels set correctly using a sound meter and the sizes correct, it sounds noticeably clearer and more distinctive than the umc-1. My basis of comparison is limited but after viewing many different scenes in movies that I'm familiar with, this is easily the best processor I've ever heard.

I'll post more thoughts or issues I have after a few more days with it.

-TK
markrubin likes this.

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE7000u 3D w/HTB Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH Screen
Video: DVDO Edge Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
Speakers: eD Custom 6T6 Towers, Emotiva UAC-8.2, Emotiva ERD-1s
Subwoofer: eD A3-300 12" 350w Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 984
How about vocals for music ? I have umc200 and its clean to me. Mark said in other thread that people could post.
post #6 of 206 Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
How about vocals for music ? I have umc200 and its clean to me. Mark said in other thread that people could post.
I think that most decent processors are going to sound clean with respect to what they send to the speakers. Where the difference comes in, to my ears, is what ends up being sent.

The detail that comes through with my XMC-1 is greater than that which I have listened to playing several CDs and SACDS that I consider to be good examples of various sounds (certain female vocals, strings, including pianos and brass) resolving.

Having played these recordings many times through 4 different processors, I now hear things that simply were not there before. Sometimes this level of detail might not be entirely desirable if it happens to emphasize fret buzz or slight breaks in a singer's voice. But, from my perspective, greater detail in what was captured in the original recording is good if it comes about as a result of the processor adding little or no degradation to the final reproduction. And, that is where I believe that the XMC-1 really shines.
chalugadp likes this.

post #7 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. Got mine yesterday and it replaced a UMC-1 which has been pretty good since the last firmware I installed about a year ago. The XMC-1 is hooked up to an XPA-3 amp that runs my front sound stage and also a UPA-7 that runs the side and rears as well as the aura pro bass shakers.

Loving it so far--with just the levels set correctly using a sound meter and the sizes correct, it sounds noticeably clearer and more distinctive than the umc-1. My basis of comparison is limited but after viewing many different scenes in movies that I'm familiar with, this is easily the best processor I've ever heard.

I'll post more thoughts or issues I have after a few more days with it.

-TK
Try doing it blind.
post #8 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 134
My question to owners, can you check if you get 2ch audio out of the digital outs when using a HDMI source?
Foggy1 likes this.

Last edited by markrubin; 07-26-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #9 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
The detail that comes through with my XMC-1 is greater than that which I have listened to playing several CDs and SACDS that I consider to be good examples of various sounds (certain female vocals, strings, including pianos and brass) resolving.
bb,

Did you use DSD direct for your SACD listening with the XMC-1? If you did does the XMC-1's display show DSD? Did you use HDMI or analog? What are your favorite demo SACDs? Thanks!

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
bb,

Did you use DSD direct for your SACD listening with the XMC-1? If you did does the XMC-1's display show DSD? Did you use HDMI or analog? What are your favorite demo SACDs? Thanks!

Bill
Bill...

Here is the screen shot for the SACD version of Oregon's "Beyond Words":

It has been a bit tough for me to admit it, but I might well be finished with the 7.1 analog hookup between the Oppo and the pre-pro. I can no longer convince myself that there is a reliably perceptible distinction between the analog cables and HDMI. For the foreseeable future, HDMI is my connection of choice.

In addition to "Beyond Words", I like the Elmar Oliveira version of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons", "The Girl in The zother Room" by Diana Krall, Eric Clapton's "Slow Hand" and "Divertimenti" by Trondheim Solistene.

To be entirely truthful, some of the CDs I listen to for demo are decidedly old tech. There is a Rebecca Pidgeon CD recorded by David Chesky with a cut of Spanish Harlem that is incredible. Her acting makes me cringe sometimes, but this cut is amazing. I started listening to quality digital recordings with "Tricycle", by Flim and the BBs and still play that CD regulatly.

There are many others. These are what I have played since hooking up the XMC-1.

...Bob
markrubin, cableguy301 and carfanm like this.

post #11 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
Could you list your other 3 processors. I have Marantz av8801 and considering XMC-1. I wonder if one of your processor was Marantz av8801.
No Marantz.

B&K AVP1000

Rotel RSP-1066

Emotiva UMC-1

That covers about the past 13 years.

post #12 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Bill...

Here is the screen shot for the SACD version of Oregon's "Beyond Words":

It has been a bit tough for me to admit it, but I might well be finished with the 7.1 analog hookup between the Oppo and the pre-pro. I can no longer convince myself that there is a reliably perceptible distinction between the analog cables and HDMI. For the foreseeable future, HDMI is my connection of choice.

In addition to "Beyond Words", I like the Elmar Oliveira version of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons", "The Girl in The zother Room" by Diana Krall, Eric Clapton's "Slow Hand" and "Divertimenti" by Trondheim Solistene.

To be entirely truthful, some of the CDs I listen to for demo are decidedly old tech. There is a Rebecca Pidgeon CD recorded by David Chesky with a cut of Spanish Harlem that is incredible. Her acting makes me cringe sometimes, but this cut is amazing. I started listening to quality digital recordings with "Tricycle", by Flim and the BBs and still play that CD regulatly.

There are many others. These are what I have played since hooking up the XMC-1.

...Bob
Bob,

Thanks for posting the screen shot. I'm in work and the computer is old so I can't open it. I've pretty much given up on the old 7.1 analog connection as well. I have the Oppo 103 and if I get the XMC-1 I'd use HDMI for all processing including Dirac.

Nice list of demo SACDs and CDs. I have the Rebecca Pidgeon SACD with Spanish Harlem and it is an incredible song. I've tried to grab the Tricycle SACD but never seem to find it at a decent price. I have a number of DMP SACDs and they all sound incredible. If you ever see The Steve Davis Project's Quality of Silence SACD grab it if you can. It is an incredible sounding SACD probably one of the best sounding ones I own. Thanks again!

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/753

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #13 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
thread cleanup
post #14 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bob,

Thanks for posting the screen shot. I'm in work and the computer is old so I can't open it. I've pretty much given up on the old 7.1 analog connection as well. I have the Oppo 103 and if I get the XMC-1 I'd use HDMI for all processing including Dirac.

Nice list of demo SACDs and CDs. I have the Rebecca Pidgeon SACD with Spanish Harlem and it is an incredible song. I've tried to grab the Tricycle SACD but never seem to find it at a decent price. I have a number of DMP SACDs and they all sound incredible. If you ever see The Steve Davis Project's Quality of Silence SACD grab it if you can. It is an incredible sounding SACD probably one of the best sounding ones I own. Thanks again!

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/753

Bill
Bill...

Sorry you can't open the screen shot. I'll save you the anticipation. Is says "DSD Direct".

...Bob

post #15 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Bill...

Sorry you can't open the screen shot. I'll save you the anticipation. Is says "DSD Direct".

...Bob
Bob,

No problem as I'm sure the screen shot will open on my laptop at home. DSD Direct works for me .

Bill

post #16 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
My question to owners, can you check if you get 2ch audio out of the digital outs when using a HDMI source?
Yes it does, I just checked the optical and coax outputs into my DC-1 DAC using headphones.
bootman_head_fi likes this.
post #17 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bob,

No problem as I'm sure the screen shot will open on my laptop at home. DSD Direct works for me .

Bill
In order to try your SACDs with DIRAC you will have to go back to PCM.

But you knew that right?
post #18 of 206 Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
In order to try your SACDs with DIRAC you will have to go back to PCM.

But you knew that right?
Yes I'm aware of that . That is how I do it with my 4311. For Multichannel SACDs I use PCM output from my 103 to the 4311 via HDMI. For stereo SACDs I use DSD with analog out to the Parasound 2100.

Bill

post #19 of 206 Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
So here is what I currently have in the rack and around the room as well as a few references to what preceded some of these pieces.

XMC-1
Harmony One Remote
Does Logitech already have the XMC loaded in the Harmony database? Lonnie mentioned to me at Emo-ATL that they had already sent codes to the major remote makers, but that implementation timing was (understandably) out of Emo's hands.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #20 of 206 Old 07-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Does Logitech already have the XMC loaded in the Harmony database? Lonnie mentioned to me at Emo-ATL that they had already sent codes to the major remote makers, but that implementation timing was (understandably) out of Emo's hands.
The XMC-1 is not in Harmony's database. However, per Lounge members, the UMC-1 codes work fine.
post #21 of 206 Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
The XMC-1 is not in Harmony's database. However, per Lounge members, the UMC-1 codes work fine.
The umc200 works great with Logitech. Might be able to use there codes as well.
post #22 of 206 Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried the headphone out?

I have the DC-1 and I think its headphone stage sounds really good.
(currently using Grado PS500 and a Mac Mini as a source for 2ch)
post #23 of 206 Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Harmony One seems to like the XMC-1

Finally took the time to program the Harmony remote to match the XMC-1 setup. So far so good. Also had to delete my old projector and add the new one. Need to add a second "off" press to shut it down. Otherwise everything is working as it did with the UMC-1.

post #24 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
BASS Management

FYI - Good news.. (From the lounge)

Hi all,
We've heard you loud and clear as it relates to dual mono bass management on the XMC-1.

Look for a firmware update by Friday, or Monday at the latest that will add this feature. We've got it running here now and are just banging on it to make sure it's rock solid.

You'll be able to dial in independent delay and EQ settings for each dual mono sub. All other bass management remains the same.

We've also added some additional improvements in this upcoming SW package will further improve the XMC-1's performance, stability, and features.

Firmware release notes will be included with the package.

As I mentioned before, the XMC-1 and its progeny are going to be different animals. We control 100% of what's going on now, and I believe it shows.

Thanks for your support and trust.

Cheers,
Big Dan
rcohen and carfanm like this.
post #25 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

How will updates be implemented ? Hopefully different then with umc200.
post #26 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
How will updates be implemented ? Hopefully different then with umc200.
It is via a flash drive.
(I actually prefer this method when possible, borking some over the internet upgrades of motherboard firmware upgrades in the past)
Should be painless compared to previous products.
chalugadp likes this.
post #27 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcinc View Post
FYI - Good news.. (From the lounge)

Hi all,
We've heard you loud and clear as it relates to dual mono bass management on the XMC-1.

Look for a firmware update by Friday, or Monday at the latest that will add this feature. We've got it running here now and are just banging on it to make sure it's rock solid.

You'll be able to dial in independent delay and EQ settings for each dual mono sub. All other bass management remains the same.

We've also added some additional improvements in this upcoming SW package will further improve the XMC-1's performance, stability, and features.

Firmware release notes will be included with the package.

As I mentioned before, the XMC-1 and its progeny are going to be different animals. We control 100% of what's going on now, and I believe it shows.

Thanks for your support and trust.

Cheers,
Big Dan
Yes!
And a big thank you to igorzep for helping me (and others) push this idea out to Emotiva.
kt10r, andyc56 and carfanm like this.
post #28 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcinc View Post
Isn't the idea to have independent delay and level, but summed EQ?
post #29 of 206 Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Yes!
And a big thank you to igorzep for helping me (and others) push this idea out to Emotiva.
this is great news and responsiveness on Emo's part. Does any know what the max delay is in either feet or ms?

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #30 of 206 Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
Isn't the idea to have independent delay and level, but summed EQ?
It is possible we may have the ability if we chose to do this AND then let Dirac put the finishing touches for the unit as a whole.
We will need to wait and see.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page