AVR with LFE and Sub out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AVR with LFE and Sub out?

so heres my situation. I'm looking to upgrade my old junk 5.1 receiver for a newer 7.2 or 9.2 AVR. I plan on adding powered floorstanders to my current setup so lets assume:
L/R: Infinity IL60
C: Infinity IL36
Side/Rears: Infinity IL10
LFE: 2x Clark Synthesis Silver

what I'm looking for (and not finding) is an AVR that can configure one sub output to send LFE only on one channel for the buttshakers and then have the second output send the bass managed LFE plus all the summed low pass info to the subwoofers in the IL60's and down the road, added subwoofers.

oh and to throw a wrench in your plans. My PC's sound card only has 7.1 analog multichannel outputs... so I the AVR needs to have multi channel in... I'm on a shoestring budget of course.. so older used models I can pick up cheap are prefered

Last edited by styxnpicks; 07-25-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 268
With the soundcard having only analog outs, you're forced to do bass management in the PC, so the LFE and other bass is mixed before you can get access to it. This is based on that fact that most AVRs with 7.1 analog inputs do not have A/Ds to convert it to digital. If you had such an AVR, then the player would not do the bass management, so the LFE is available. Could run it to a Y splitter and feed it to the shakers. But then it is at a fixed level, as there's no volume control at the player's output.

Even if you has an HDMI soundcard and AVR, I have not seen any ability to have both LFE and summed bass on separate outputs. It's one or the other.

Now if you could accept sending the same subwoofer signal to the shakers, it's easy.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bass management in the pc is at least adjustable. I'd love to set the soundcard up to output 7 fullrange channels and the LFE and have a nice AVR to bass manage the way I want it. I guess worst case scenario is cross over the butt shakers lower
post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Some H/K receivers did bass management through the analog inputs like the older non-hdmi 7200, 7300 and 525 among others. And some newer hdmi models like the 745 (but rather poor hdmi implimentation) and the 7550 which also has dual subwoofer outputs. Not sure if they're indipendant though. Probably not.

Outlaws 1070 did as well. I'm sure there are a few others but I can't recall.

I can't help you with the other stuff.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxnpicks View Post
Bass management in the pc is at least adjustable. I'd love to set the soundcard up to output 7 fullrange channels and the LFE and have a nice AVR to bass manage the way I want it. I guess worst case scenario is cross over the butt shakers lower
Well, you could run AudioMulch in the PC, it's a real time audio toolkit. Take in the 5.1 audio, create a summing/filtering path to create the bass management, and output both the original LFE and the bass managed subwoofer signal.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
Outlaws 1070 did as well. I'm sure there are a few others but I can't recall.
Outlaw also made the ICBM outboard bass management box. It was very flexible, now discontinued. There are still some similar devices, such as from Blue Sky.

Roger

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page