5.1 surround sound audio through splitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5.1 surround sound audio through splitter?

Hi guys,

So I have these Turtle beach 7.1 surround sound headphones that uses an optical cable to connect. I wanted to use these with my laptop. So doing some research, I bought myself an HDMI splitter. I connect my laptop to this splitter via hdmi. The splitter splits the input into an hdmi stream, and a toslink stream for audio. I connect the hdmi link to my Tv and the toslink optical to my turtle beach:

Laptop ---(hdmi)----> Splitter -----(hdmi)-----> TV

Splitter-------(spdif) -----> 7.1 surround sound stream headphones

However, my problem is that the headphones only output stereo, and looking at my playback devices menu, I get no options for any kind of surround sound stream. The only options are the original laptop speakers and the TV stereo. It would appear that since my TV only has a 2 channel stream for audio, 7.1 is disabled.

Any Ideas on how I can go about getting surround sound with this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 268
The disc does not show the separate 5.1 stream used for S/PDIF, it is embedded with the lossless audio. A BD player automatically plays that to the S/PDIF (in bitstream mode). In this case, the PC has no idea of S/PDIF.

The TV may be telling the PC it cannot understand DTS (which is normal), so the PC outputs stereo PCM on the HDMI, and the same goes to the S/PDIF. If you disconnect the TV, and restart the PC and splitter, does the sound from the S/PDIF become 5.1?

If yes, then the challenge is to figure out a way to fool the PC into doing the same even when the TV is connected. If not, you'd need a smarter splitter that can extract the lossy 5.1 bitstream.

Whether yes or no, might just be easier/cheaper to use a normal BD player. It will work perfectly with no splitter.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
The disc does not show the separate 5.1 stream used for S/PDIF, it is embedded with the lossless audio. A BD player automatically plays that to the S/PDIF (in bitstream mode). In this case, the PC has no idea of S/PDIF.

The TV may be telling the PC it cannot understand DTS (which is normal), so the PC outputs stereo PCM on the HDMI, and the same goes to the S/PDIF. If you disconnect the TV, and restart the PC and splitter, does the sound from the S/PDIF become 5.1?

If yes, then the challenge is to figure out a way to fool the PC into doing the same even when the TV is connected. If not, you'd need a smarter splitter that can extract the lossy 5.1 bitstream.

Whether yes or no, might just be easier/cheaper to use a normal BD player. It will work perfectly with no splitter.
By BD player, do you mean bluray player? I'd be happy to invest in some if it meant surround sound for my laptop.

Anyways, I unplugged my TV and got a new playback device showing up in the menu, but still with stereo audio nonetheless.

With TV:

Without TV:
post #4 of 4 Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaqzan Ali View Post
By BD player, do you mean bluray player? I'd be happy to invest in some if it meant surround sound for my laptop.
Yes, a stand-alone Blu-ray player. It would be used to drive the TV and headphone system at same time, with no need for the laptop.

If you feel compelled to explore PC options, you may need a new nVidia graphics driver as this fellow found. But even then, that might only make things work without the TV connected for the reason given above.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 07-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page