Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Receiver destroyed by LIGHTNING - Help me to choose a new one

Hi everybody,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the mistakes when I write in English, it's not my mother tongue and I'll try to do my best to be understood

A few days ago, the storm destroyed my receiver, a Pioneer VSX-LX55. The electrostatic discharge killed all the HDMI ports of the receiver, and the HDMI input of my TV where the cable was plugged

Now, I am looking for a new one, and I have to choose among the products that are available now (I can't wait september or later to get the new models).

Here's what I'm looking for:
- A "modern" receiver, for present days and the future; So, I am not really interested by the 2013 series, even if their prices drop now
- HDMI 2.0, ready for the real 4K
- Min. 6 HDMI ports (more they are, more I am happy)
- Additional features are welcome: iOS/Android app to control the device, web services (TuneIn, Spotify,...), bluetooth, wifi streaming, Airplay, future compatibility with Dolby Atmos,... But I won't be sick if one of them is absent.

I use a pack of JBL Northridge E80, a Mosscade Titan 7.4 as a subwoofer, and a Buttkicker LFE kit for the couch.
I mainly use my setup for movies and video games; just a little bit for audio listening.
I am ready to invest 1000~1500€ (=1500 US$ ?) for a new receiver.

Here are the products I've found, sorted in order of interest:

1. Onkyo TX-NR838: It has everything I want, and it seems to be the only one (with its brothers of the new 2014 series) to be compatible with HDCP 2.2.
There are just two annoying things:
- The replacement of Audissey with AccuEQ But I think I can deal with that if I can still make my adjustements by myself.
- Its reliability. I am scared of that. I have read lots of comments about overheating and HDMI issues for the Onkyo brand.
I called a repair center and talked to someone that spend his time to fix Onkyo receivers. He told me that these issues occured with the 2011 and 2012 series (when the DSP processors were installed on the HDMI boards). For him, the recent series are more reliable (not more not less than other brands).

2. Integra DTR-40.6: I thought "Integra is the premium brand of Onkyo; maybe their components have a better quality".
The repair center (see above) work for Integra too. And the technician said that the electronics are (nearly) the same. So, why spend more money ?

3. Pioneer SC-2024: A very interesting one too, but lacks of "software features" compared to the Onkyo (such as PIP, instaprevue,..) and is not compatible with HDCP 2.2.
But their new models with a class D seem to be interesting, powerfull,...

4. Marantz SR-6009: Maybe very good, but I think it fits more for pure music listening... Not compatible with HDCP 2.2.

I've had some Denon receivers in the past and I was pretty satisfied. But their new series are not available yet (maybe in september or october, but it's still too late)
Same thing for Yamaha

What do you think of my choices
Do you think that the new Onkyo's series 8xx will have the same issues as the previous ones

Thank you very, very much for your help and your useful tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I personally like the Anthem MRX line in that price range, but they're built for sound and don't have the bells and whistles you'll find in other receivers. Onkyo dumping Audyssey was a mistake IMO so I would avoid their new line using the AccuEQ as it isn't impressive. I would probably wait for the new Denon and Yamaha models to become available where you are.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply matalli

The Anthem are really good, especially with their specific features such as the "ARC1M" technology.
But as you said, I'm also looking for other "software implements".

I owned two Denon in the past, and their new line for 2014 is very interesting too.
But everytime I read the specs, I never see something compliant with HDCP2.2.
Onkyo seems to be the only brand to be compatible.
The majors are used to adopt the most restrictive protection, and I think that this damn HDCP2.2 will become a standard.

What do you think ?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pete- View Post
There are just two annoying things:
Actually 3 ... although the new 2014 Onkyo AVRs are HDCP 2.2 and will properly handshake with HDCP 2.2 devices from a copy protection point of view, they will be unable to take advantage of passing through the increased color gamut and bit depth of an HDMI 2.0 4K video source (rather only at an HDMI 1.4 level) which the 2014 Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Yamaha models will be able to do.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-26-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Regardless of your selection of receiver, special care needs to be taken to insure the new unit is safe from what destroyed the first one. Your AC supply outlets need to be checked for proper grounding and a surge suppessor, ground fault device and each cable/line that comes into the home needs to be provided with protection from high currents entering that way.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

All my setup has a very good electrical protection, but the lightning produced in my case an electrostatic discharge, and I think it's very difficult to be completely safe from that.

To protect my cable, I've bought some "HDMI protectors" like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Asmart-center-...rds=hdmi+surge

I hope they will do the job
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page