The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1040, RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 379 Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With these new xx40 receivers, has Yamaha fixed the SCENE shapshot bug with respect to the surround decoder mode?

I wanted to save different Scenes based on my source, whether music or movie related.

Ie SCENE 1 I wanted a certain input (PVR) with the Dolby Surround PLIIx MOVIE decoder enabled.

SCENE 2 I wanted another input (AUDIO 1 - iTunes) with the Dolby Surround PLIIx MUSIC decoder enabled. But it doesn't work.

The Surround Decoder is locked into the last used mode. You cannot save Scenes with a certain type of surround decoder, ie PLIIx Movie or Music or Game, or DTS Neo:6 etc.

So, I either have to recall a Scene and manually change the surround decoder to the one I want, or I have to save a scene with a DSP mode enabled, say DRAMA, which can save the PLIIx MOVIE mode, and simply wind down the DSP effect to a minimum. That way I can have PLIIx MUSIC for my audio sources on one SCENE, and PLIIx MOVIE mode (via the DRAMA DSP) for my movie modes.

The Scene snapshot memories should really be able to also save the chosen surround decoder modes.

Cheers,

Craig.
Yamaha RX-V3073 (very similar to the RX-A3020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 379 Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i had already read the manual, but i'm still missing a thing regarding the 2040:

is it possible to assign the internal amps to use a configuration with 5.1 plus the front presence ? Also, it is possible to biamp the front, in the same configuration, 5.1 plus front presence ?

PS - sorry, it is on page 22.. i am still missing the biamp 5.1 + front presence

How much power will output in config 5/7 speakers, like the previous receivers, 105/90 watts ?

Last edited by traianescu; 08-04-2014 at 06:32 AM.
post #63 of 379 Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
With these new xx40 receivers, has Yamaha fixed the SCENE shapshot bug with respect to the surround decoder mode? ...

Are you saying even after you enable "Surround" under Scene Detail, the value you set for Extended Surround (e.g. PLIIx Movie) is not stored per Scene? (remember that the Extended Surround setting only applies to 5.1 sources).

If so it sounds like a bug, but if nobody reported it to Yamaha it probaby didn't get changed. If they know about it and consider it a real bug, not just a design choice, then they might fix it in older models too.
post #64 of 379 Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
I had a really high end 2006 Era Pioneer VSx 84 TXSi and at that time it was top of the line in Pioneer elites line up and MSRP was $1500.It was rated at 7x140 with all channels driven at 20-20K not like these amps today are rated at 2 channel driven at 1K or something like that. So that is my first quirk.

The next thing is that the Pioneer had two remotes and the main one even had a LCD screen on it. It had tons of buttons and was very easy to do most anything without digging through menus to find. BUT the Yamaha allows the IP address programming which is super easy even for a novice like me. Audyssey is better in this receiver than the older MCAAC on the Pioneer and the menus that pop up on screen with the Yamaha are much nicer too because on the Pioneer you had to switch to a different input for the menus to show up and that was a pain. I also like the Yamaha APP that I can run and control from my phone or iPad. That makes the less than ideal remote a lot easier to live with for me as an iPhone user

I like the scenes options that are built in and I also like the assignable inputs to the AV buttons. I use ROKU, Sat box and a Samsung DVD so I can program them to 1-2-3 and just one touch them. Same with the Cambridge CD player on the audio inputs. I use the DAC of the cambridge and therefore output it to the receiver thru RCA cables thus bypassing the DAC in the receiver.

I have not tried any upscaling yet as frankly I don't know how but I will likely dig in and try that soon too. The audio is good from the amp but I only use the center and surround amps. I output front left and right to an external amp anyway.

I love the ability to connect to my network wifi or wired I use wired. Then I can use sirius pandora, spotify etc On screen and those menus are super easy to use as was setting them up he first time. Now I will listen to sirius on my AVR that I have never done before because it was too much trouble.
I also have not played with any of the adjustments to the various sound modes with things like sound stage etc. I just don't know enough about them yet to feel confident enough not to screw it up and make it worse.

Another good thing was the online firmware upgrade which was available when I plugged it in. It took 20 minutes but was an easy one menu button to say ok and it did it all. I also like the easy sub trim and other easy to find options that are there on the remote that one may use often like dialogue lift etc.

Overall its a good receiver and I am quite happy. I will likely be more so as soon as I learn the other features. Hopefully some of you experts will post some suggested setup suggestions for some of the more obscure settings that all of us may not understand.

If there are some specific questions post them up and Ill try to answer them as best I can

I'm looking for your opinion on the sound quality compared to what you had and receivers you compare the 1040 with before you decided you buy it-movies and music.
Do you think it's better than X or do you feel that they all sound the same and people should look for receivers that have the bells and whistles to fit their needs?
post #65 of 379 Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjam View Post
I'm looking for your opinion on the sound quality compared to what you had and receivers you compare the 1040 with before you decided you buy it-movies and music.
Do you think it's better than X or do you feel that they all sound the same and people should look for receivers that have the bells and whistles to fit their needs?
I looked at and listened to the MArantz last years models and the new SC81 Pioneer and last years Denon 3000 and 4000. All of the "listening" was done at a local best buy through the Magnolia room and frankly their best speaker which was a Martin Logan electrostatic speaker and it was so inefficient and DEAD compared to my Legacy focus that at best the receivers sounded bad. At worst they were really bad. No dynamics etc so that was mostly the speakers. But even with those I could hear differences in the various receivers including the Class D amp

If I had to give an edge to any of them it would be the class D pioneer elite but it wasn't much. The Marantz 6006 (I think) was pretty good as was the Yamaha 840. They didn't even have the 1040 hooked up yet. I use mine mostly as a pre pro as I output the front channels to a separate amp usually. Now I am running the sep amp bi amp into the woofers of the legacy focus and the Yamaha 1040 built in 100W is feeding the top end of the speakers. I am just playing with that until my sub arrives and then I will likely use the CODA amp full range into the Focus and cut them off at 40hz.

In general I have never had a receiver that sounded bad in my system and this receiver is no exception. Even though it is rated at lower power in a worse rating spec at 1K 2 channels driven I can't not hear any loss in output compared to the outgoing pioneer Elite mentioned earlier. It delivers good solid power to the surrounds and sounds nice and natural without any coloration.

In general I find among the top receivers that I choose on features, price etc as the house sound between the better ones is rarely a deal breaker. Different yes but not like changing speakers.
post #66 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
11-channel speaker configuration

I was/am just getting ready to put in an order for the 3040, but decided to download and peruse the manual first. I'm now not so sure that I can make the configuration that I really want. The selectable configurations seem a bit weird to me.

Currently, with my RX-A800, I run a 7.1 (using Front Presence) in my room. (Note: I have a 3-ch external amp that I use on the L/C/R). I pre-wired for various other possible speaker placements.

First, I want to add a stereo pair (ceiling speakers) in the bonus/kid's play room adjacent to my main room. It looks to me like the only configuration that allows you to do this is the 7ch+Front+1Zone, which requires you to externally amplify the front mains. As I am/will be amplifying the main L/C/R anyway, I guess this works fine, except that I won't actually be using any rear surrounds which are part of this pre-set configuration.

The 2nd thing I planned to do was add 2 rear on-wall speakers, to make a 9.1 (or 2) in my main room, while using a stereo pair in my adjacent room. These would be at the same height as my (side) surrounds - not as high as the front presence - but likely more in line width-wise with the front presence, rather than the width of the front mains. I had thought that I could assign these as rear presence.

But, it appears there is no configuration for this; there appears to be no configuration that allows you to use rear "presence" speakers unless you are also using rear surround speakers (even though it says they don't output sound at the same time).

I could use the 7ch+Front+1Zone as above, but my rear speakers would not really be in the "suggested" rear speaker positioning. Also, without officially using the rear presence assignment in the AVR, my understanding is that I would not get DSP HD3, but only DSP 3D.

So, I guess the first question is, am I reading this correctly?

And, the 2nd question is, going with this configuration, and already using an external amp for the L/C/R, am I right in understanding that I don't actually need to add ANOTHER external amp to get the 11-ch configuration (I will actually only be using 8 of the 9 internal amps, though).

And, lastly, if I use this configuration, the extra zone is actually Zone 3 - which then can't support audio from an HDMI source? For now, the speakers in the extra room would just be for playback from music sources (CD player, streaming using Sonos Connect, etc.), but I might eventually want to put a TV in that room, and I do get music channels through my cable box. My understanding is that Zone 3 couldn't accept the audio from these HDMI sources.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; Velodyne DLS-5000R
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D

Last edited by AC2011; 08-05-2014 at 06:40 AM.
post #67 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Just an FYI ... but all three models are now available from AVScience.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #68 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 0
Do someone know when RX-A3040 will be available in Thailand ?
post #69 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Has anyone here some experience of the Yamaha RX-A3040 (RX-A3030) together with these speakers NS-777, NS-333, NS-C444, NS-SW700 ?

These speakers would they work well with the amp or would I need better speakers ?
post #70 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Although they would work well with any model, unless you specifically need features on the A3040 not offered on the lower models, it would be overkill for those speakers. You would be much better served with an A740 or A840 and put the difference into upgrading to better quality speakers.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #71 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Thai View Post
Has anyone here some experience of the Yamaha RX-A3040 (RX-A3030) together with these speakers NS-777, NS-333, NS-C444, NS-SW700 ?

These speakers would they work well with the amp or would I need better speakers ?
About the only thing I would upgrade in your speaker set is the sub. By all accounts those speakers are quite nice for the price. You would likely have to spend quite a bit more for a noticeable improvement.

If you like or want the features that the high end Yamaha AVRs have then get that. If you don't need all the extra features then, yes, save some money and get a model lower down.

It would be nice to be able to afford the 3040. Maybe one day.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #72 of 379 Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Although they would work well with any model, unless you specifically need features on the A3040 not offered on the lower models, it would be overkill for those speakers. You would be much better served with an A740 or A840 and put the difference into upgrading to better quality speakers.
Would these speakers work better with RX-A3040 : Klipsch RF-82 II, RS-62 II, RC-62 II, SW-112 ?
post #73 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
I was/am just getting ready to put in an order for the 3040, but decided to download and peruse the manual first. I'm now not so sure that I can make the configuration that I really want. The selectable configurations seem a bit weird to me.

Currently, with my RX-A800, I run a 7.1 (using Front Presence) in my room. (Note: I have a 3-ch external amp that I use on the L/C/R). I pre-wired for various other possible speaker placements.

First, I want to add a stereo pair (ceiling speakers) in the bonus/kid's play room adjacent to my main room. It looks to me like the only configuration that allows you to do this is the 7ch+Front+1Zone, which requires you to externally amplify the front mains. As I am/will be amplifying the main L/C/R anyway, I guess this works fine, except that I won't actually be using any rear surrounds which are part of this pre-set configuration.

The 2nd thing I planned to do was add 2 rear on-wall speakers, to make a 9.1 (or 2) in my main room, while using a stereo pair in my adjacent room. These would be at the same height as my (side) surrounds - not as high as the front presence - but likely more in line width-wise with the front presence, rather than the width of the front mains. I had thought that I could assign these as rear presence.

But, it appears there is no configuration for this; there appears to be no configuration that allows you to use rear "presence" speakers unless you are also using rear surround speakers (even though it says they don't output sound at the same time).

I could use the 7ch+Front+1Zone as above, but my rear speakers would not really be in the "suggested" rear speaker positioning. Also, without officially using the rear presence assignment in the AVR, my understanding is that I would not get DSP HD3, but only DSP 3D.

So, I guess the first question is, am I reading this correctly?

And, the 2nd question is, going with this configuration, and already using an external amp for the L/C/R, am I right in understanding that I don't actually need to add ANOTHER external amp to get the 11-ch configuration (I will actually only be using 8 of the 9 internal amps, though).

And, lastly, if I use this configuration, the extra zone is actually Zone 3 - which then can't support audio from an HDMI source? For now, the speakers in the extra room would just be for playback from music sources (CD player, streaming using Sonos Connect, etc.), but I might eventually want to put a TV in that room, and I do get music channels through my cable box. My understanding is that Zone 3 couldn't accept the audio from these HDMI sources.

Still looking for some guidance/assistance/commentary on this if anyone can assist.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; Velodyne DLS-5000R
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
post #74 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 04:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Would these speakers work better with RX-A3040 : Klipsch RF-82 II, RS-62 II, RC-62 II, SW-112 ?
Not necessarily better, rather just another brand, but likely similar in quality. Again, if you want the feature set in the A3040, then purchase that unit, otherwise save some money and purchase a lower level model (eg. A740 or A840) that meets your needs and consider just adding another NS-SW700 sub.

"JD" –

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-06-2014 at 06:09 AM.
post #75 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have these but with the YST SW300. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A 840 from JDsmoothie. Great speakers great receiver. I don't know if you need the 3040 but I have been very happy with my speakers and receiver.
post #76 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 AM

For me...the amp is the heart of the system when you already have one of the best amps then you have something to build on...rather than having to change when you start to get bored...with the A3040, you can both build on and replace when you are no longer satisfied with the speakers...only the two larger models has Dolby Atmos. I figured I could start with the Yamaha speakers that will be a bit overkill...but it will be no need to run at full volume normally you will hear when speakers says no and then just turn the volume down.

This is something I have to think of...the amplifiers has not come to this continent yet so there's still time to decide.

I thank you for all your help and all your proposals.

/ Magnus.
post #77 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
In my 30ish years of fooling with equipment the ranking on things that make the MOST difference in decreasing order is 1. Speakers. 2 source (if talking cd vs tape or vinyl etc) 3 amp. And with the amp I tend not to find huge differences in 1 solid state amp producing 200wpc 20-20K with a low distortion compared to another one with similar specs. But rather I can hear a lot of difference in a 75WPC receiver and a nice solid state sep amp
post #78 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Anyone else going to use one of these receivers as a prepro?
Looking into the 840 or 1040 for a prepro
This will replace my rxv2095
post #79 of 379 Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just bought the A840 today to replace my RX-V373. Some of the features I've gained are a tad...overwhelming. I haven't had a chance to run YPAO yet since I didn't get around to setting this up until 10 or so PM. I wonder if there will be a aq upgrade in this receiver.

The annoying thing is I'm unsure if I am out of phase or not. My speaker wire is just pure black so I had no real way of telling positive from negative. I originally slightly stripped the negative but in having to peel it back a bit for more flexibility, the other sides look slightly stripped as well. I can't recall, will YPAO tell me if I am out of phase?

One thing I wish the Yamaha app has is the ability to type login information in when trying to connect to pandora or other streaming services.

post #80 of 379 Old 08-07-2014, 03:11 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Any easy way to determine if a speaker is in phase is if the woofer pushes "in" it's out of phase and if it pushes "out" it's in phase.

"JD" –

post #81 of 379 Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
Just bought the A840 today to replace my RX-V373. Some of the features I've gained are a tad...overwhelming. I haven't had a chance to run YPAO yet since I didn't get around to setting this up until 10 or so PM. I wonder if there will be a aq upgrade in this receiver.

The annoying thing is I'm unsure if I am out of phase or not. My speaker wire is just pure black so I had no real way of telling positive from negative. I originally slightly stripped the negative but in having to peel it back a bit for more flexibility, the other sides look slightly stripped as well. I can't recall, will YPAO tell me if I am out of phase?

One thing I wish the Yamaha app has is the ability to type login information in when trying to connect to pandora or other streaming services.
When my RX-A 840 arrived the other day I hooked it up and ran YPAO. I got an indication on screen that I had hooked up a speaker incorrectly. It showed me onscreen which speaker was hooked up incorrectly. Very nice system.

I purchased mine through jdsmoothie from AV Science. Great source for information.
post #82 of 379 Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
regarding rx-a2040, what is the approximative output rating with 5 and 7 channels active ?
in 2 channels is 140 watts (8 ohms), but in multichannel i had understood that yamaha have a certain protection, is it true ?
post #83 of 379 Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahpeton View Post
When my RX-A 840 arrived the other day I hooked it up and ran YPAO. I got an indication on screen that I had hooked up a speaker incorrectly. It showed me onscreen which speaker was hooked up incorrectly. Very nice system.

I purchased mine through jdsmoothie from AV Science. Great source for information.
Thank you. I ran YPAO and sure enough two were out of phase.

One thing I noticed is how much cleaer voices were coming from my center channel speaker on this receiver as opposed to my RX-V373. I'm watching My Little Pony right now (well, my daughter is) which isn't exactly the most taxing of shows full of bass so I can't comment on much else. One thing I don't quite get is why YPAO set the sub to -4 dB. Seems a little low and I can't hear much bass coming from it.

Also, on the V373 I was able to select a DTS or PL2 decoder but I don't have that option on this receiver. Does it depend on the content?

post #84 of 379 Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

^ The YPAO phase check is not fool proof, so I would still check the wires manually.

For the bass, make sure all speakers are set as SMALL so they get crossed over to the sub. Then just turn up the sub level if you want to.

For stereo sources press SUR. DECODE on the remote until you get PLII (or PLIIx if you have a 7.1 setup). To expand 5.1 to 7.1 set Extended Surround in the setup menu to PLIIx instead of Auto.

Also the INFO button on the remote controls what is displayed on the front panel (input source, audio decoder etc.). So you might not see the info you're expecting until you change that.
post #85 of 379 Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ The YPAO phase check is not fool proof, so I would still check the wires manually.

For the bass, make sure all speakers are set as SMALL so they get crossed over to the sub. Then just turn up the sub level if you want to.

For stereo sources press SUR. DECODE on the remote until you get PLII (or PLIIx if you have a 7.1 setup). To expand 5.1 to 7.1 set Extended Surround in the setup menu to PLIIx instead of Auto.

Also the INFO button on the remote controls what is displayed on the front panel (input source, audio decoder etc.). So you might not see the info you're expecting until you change that.
Thank you for that.

Yeah that's another thing, it set my L/R towers to large and the sub crossover at 100Hz. I really should change it back to 80 and the speakers to small.

(I know this is the 1040 and above thread but I hope there is no harm discussing the 840 in here.)

post #86 of 379 Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Just listened to the Avengers and I have to say, almost every aspect of sound has improved. Dialogue is *a lot* clearer. I do have one complaint and that is the bass seems to be lacking. It's almost as though there is a high amount of treble. Now this is using YPAO's auto EQ setting of "flat"" but compared to manual, "front" and "natural" it was the best. Maybe it was just the audio encode of The Avengers on Netflix that was the issue.

The biggest thing, for me as an upgrader from the RX lineup, is the fact that dialogue remains crystal clear even at low volumes. I always thought my center channel just wasn't as good as people said (the Primus 351). The Aventage line has so far won me over. Now to figure out the bass situation.

post #87 of 379 Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Just listened to the Avengers and I have to say, almost every aspect of sound has improved. Dialogue is *a lot* clearer. I do have one complaint and that is the bass seems to be lacking. It's almost as though there is a high amount of treble. Now this is using YPAO's auto EQ setting of "flat"" but compared to manual, "front" and "natural" it was the best. Maybe it was just the audio encode of The Avengers on Netflix that was the issue.

The biggest thing, for me as an upgrader from the RX lineup, is the fact that dialogue remains crystal clear even at low volumes. I always thought my center channel just wasn't as good as people said (the Primus 351). The Aventage line has so far won me over. Now to figure out the bass situation.
I don't recall Avengers with 5.1 on netflix only on amazon prime. so that would mean no lfe
post #88 of 379 Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not all audio mixes are equal, dialog is perfect on some, too low on others. etc. But there's nothing inherent in the A series that makes dialog better than the RX models. Boosting the center channel level can help, but the new Dialog Level feature also seems to work (I think it only boost frequencies important to dialog).

As for sounding too bright, that's what YPAO Flat will do. The difference between Flat and Natural is only in the high frequencies. You can always copy the Flat PEQ settings to Manual and adjust from there, or just tweak the treble control.

And for the bass, don't be shy to turn up the sub if you need to (and make sure all speakers are set as SMALL so the sub is actually being used for more than just the LFE).
post #89 of 379 Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I don't recall Avengers with 5.1 on netflix only on amazon prime. so that would mean no lfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Not all audio mixes are equal, dialog is perfect on some, too low on others. etc. But there's nothing inherent in the A series that makes dialog better than the RX models. Boosting the center channel level can help, but the new Dialog Level feature also seems to work (I think it only boost frequencies important to dialog).

As for sounding too bright, that's what YPAO Flat will do. The difference between Flat and Natural is only in the high frequencies. You can always copy the Flat PEQ settings to Manual and adjust from there, or just tweak the treble control.

And for the bass, don't be shy to turn up the sub if you need to (and make sure all speakers are set as SMALL so the sub is actually being used for more than just the LFE).
Thanks for the clarification on what could be the reason behind it. I watched The Winter Soldier and it had a lot more bass to it, which makes sense if Avengers doesn't have LFE on Netflix. I'll take your suggestion of copying the flat settings to manual and adjusting. Thanks Krik!

At what point would the receiver make a difference in clarity, aq, etc? When going from a 300 dollar receiver to a 900 dollar one are you really just paying for more features, power and inputs/outputs? I'm loving the wi-fi capabilities that's for sure.

post #90 of 379 Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I have a component input ONLY monitor (no HDMI) and am considering a receiver upgrade. It seems as though the receiver display is ONLY output via HDMI: has anyone found a work-around/alternative? What keeps them from sending it out the other video outs! This could be real problem unless I can come up with a web interface or something.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - RX-A1040, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page