Help picking a new receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help picking a new receiver

So last week my Onkyo TX-NR818 stopped playing audio and is having some networking issues. I think its related to the HDMI board problems I have read about. In the process of trying to get that repaired under warranty. However planning for the possibility of a many week/month repair hassle, I began looking for replacement a replacement receiver for that one until my 818 is back, at which point I might just use this new receiver in the basement. I bought the 818 because I found a good deal on it in 2012, but it might be overkill for my needs. I'm not sure if I want to go with another Onkyo after all I have read about the HDMI board problems.

I'm looking at some of the Denon models, possible the S700/900 or X1100. I haven't considered other options yet, but open to suggestions. The receiver will be going in my family room which is mainly for watching tv, playing some games and sometimes watching movies or playing music. My speaker setup consists of a 5.1 setup with 2 KEF iQ 90's for the fronts and Polk OWM5's for the rear. Currently my center and sub are just older speakers I had laying around, but I plan to upgrade those in the future, probably the KEF 600c. The room these are in is a larger room, with an 18 ft ceiling and is roughly 20'x18'. Opposite the tv is the kitchen, so we often watch TV while making dinner, so need the sound to carry in there. The 818 has been good, but I generally don't push the volume over half way.

Main feature needs are pretty standard, but do need a second zone that can play an independent source, mainly audio. This is for a set of outdoor speakers on my deck. I loved the Onkyo 818's ability to play a separate input in zone 2 while someone was watching tv inside.

I've been doing research this weekend on new options and trying to determine how much wattage per channel I really need. Eventually, assuming the 818 is repaired, I will probably put this new receiver in the basement which consists of a smaller room area and a 7.1 setup: 2 Infinity Primus 363's for the L/R, and Infinity Primus PC351 center and 4 Polk OWM 3's for the rear (sub choice pending). Right now I am running a Yamaha RX-V671, so this would replace that.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm actively researching options, but would prefer not to spend over $500 if thats reasonable. Recognizing that the 818 might have been more than I needed for that room (I think), i'm hoping I can stick below the price point of that equivalent model. I'm not set on Denon, just seems to be a popular brand around here, so I am open to other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Lower models will have a lower version of Audyssey then the XT32 on the 818. You can get the Denon X2000 with MultEQ XT on clearance now for under your budget.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Lower models will have a lower version of Audyssey then the XT32 on the 818. You can get the Denon X2000 with MultEQ XT on clearance now for under your budget.
Thats true, i remember reading that. Ill need to compare the X2000 to the 2014 models. Granted the X2000 isn't entirely comparable to the X1100 feature wise, but Ill have to see if the features on the 2014 are more useful to me than the better version of Audyssey. I'm not entirely convince I need something like the XT32, as this isn't really a intense HT environment, mainly just casual living room tv watching. The room itself isn't really well setup for for a HT space with high ceilings and open walls. I think the one feature I read about that stood out a little to me was the spotify connect feature on the 2014's. I use spotify all the time for playing music on the outdoor speakers and hated the Onkyo native app to control it from the phone.

But the X2000 is certainly an option. Crutchfield has it for $399 now, so thats $100 cheaper than the X1100.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page