5Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How do u get rid of bass from voices in TV

How can I get rid of the bass when people talk in TV and movies? I can't stand it. I don't think you should hear them in the sub. Even when the sub eq is 80hz. I'm not talking about being able to understand voices in the sub. But you still hear the bass when people talk.

I had Integra receiver and set the center eq to 200hz cus the bass when people talk. On my Arcam there's no eq. And I freaking hate hearing bass in the center when people talk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Build a custom high pass filter for the center channel at whatever frequency you want. If you had a pre out, you could run that through an EQ into an amp and have more control as well.

If you don't like bass in general, disconnect the subwoofer but keep the receiver configured to use it - that will remove a lot of bass, but it doesn't sound like that's your goal

I have heard low frequencies while people are speaking, and wondered what that was caused by as human voices don't inherently go down to 100 hz. I don't know if it's some resonance thing or what.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm thanks. I'm not sure if Arcam has a way to limit freq to specific channels. I think it does have a pre out tho for using an external amp but have no idea how to do an external eq. But that could work.
post #4 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now I notice in the UI all speakers are set small. But they seem to be getting bass. And the sub is very quiet unless I turn up the sub level all the way in the UI. On my integra sub output is way louder at 0 in the UI.

So I don't get this Arcam. It seems kinda stupid or I'm not knowing how to set it right.
post #5 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
I have emo umc200 and for center channel I set xo at 100 hz and slope to 24 instead of usual 12. That takes out the voice bass issue for me. Get an inuke1000dsp for 200$ and you can eq and tweak to your hearts delight.
post #6 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow chal, thanks man!!!!
Is the emo fairly decent? Wish it had more HDMI. I'd consider it maybe but couple things maybe not.

How would I connect an external eq?

I think I figured out how to control the sound.

You can redirect bass to sub or l/r. So I set it for large front and redirect below 200hz. Helps a bit.

There is an eq button on the remote. It says not calculated. So my guess is that is after you run the room correction.
post #7 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I wouldn't change from Arcam to Emotiva.

Having 200hz crossover sounds bloody awful! You may as well get Bose speakers lol
tubetwister likes this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #8 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 90
What speakers ate you using? 200hz is way too high for a center crossover.
post #9 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not getting emo. No way.
I like to get rid of all bass from voices. I don't like any when people talk. So I have to set the center freq to 200hz. A lower setting I hear more bass. Even hear bass in the sub when people talk. And that's horrible. Not all shows do this since some recordings are better then others. And some people have a deeper voice.

Like the movie Grand Prix with James Garner. No bass in voices much. In other shows bass is there when people talk.

My speakers are :
Paradigm CC590
Studio 60
Monitor 3
SVS PC12+ with 525 watt amp.
post #10 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Those speakers are a waste with such high crossover, 200hz is for sat speakers with 2.5" driver, like Bose

:-/

I don't have a problem with speech (Kef Reference 200) set to 80hz.

Although I did find Arcam to be very bloaty in the bass region, not your model but Alpha range...

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #11 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have solved this issue with one of two different tricks:

1) Using a receiver where you can set the crossover frequency with each speaker (which includes most of them these days), set the crossover to a lower frequency for the center speaker than with the left and right speakers, and set the speakers to small. For example, if the center crossover is 50hz, but the LR crossover is 80hz, more bass from the center channel will be sent to the speaker, rather than the sub, which solves the problem.

2) Set the LCR crossover to the same frequency, but just tune the EQ so this doesn't happen, with special attention to the frequencies that are bugging you. You could either tune the EQ for all LCR so this doesn't happen, or you could tune the bass frequencies down in the center speaker, but up higher in LR speakers, if that's what you prefer. It depends on what you like better, and on the capabilities of your receiver. If you tune all LCR the same, you get a more consistent soundstage for movies. You might like to tune it for more bass boost in LR than in C if you like that for music. Aside from the frequency that is bugging you, you could leave the rest the same, so the soundstage is still the same for most frequencies.

Incidentally, once I started using a measurement microphone and Dirac, which has very precise EQ control, this problem disappeared for me, without any tricks, despite using the same EQ for LCR and a fair amount of bass boost in my "house curve." I just made a curve where the bass boost tapered off before it affected male voices.
post #12 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I got to thinking about this. It could be your room. As room modes can emphasize some bass frequencies, it could be your room which is causing peaks in some frequencies which is bugging you.

I admit I was confused why bass in voices would bug you until I thought of the in room response issues

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #13 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it could be just the over-emphasis of a particular bass frequency rather than which speaker it's coming from. You would notice that more. Once you tame that frequency with EQ, you may find the problem goes away, like it did for me.
post #14 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I'm not getting emo. No way.
I like to get rid of all bass from voices. I don't like any when people talk. So I have to set the center freq to 200hz. A lower setting I hear more bass. Even hear bass in the sub when people talk. And that's horrible. Not all shows do this since some recordings are better then others. And some people have a deeper voice.

Like the movie Grand Prix with James Garner. No bass in voices much. In other shows bass is there when people talk.

My speakers are :
Paradigm CC590
Studio 60
Monitor 3
SVS PC12+ with 525 watt amp.
You need to set the crossover lower to get rid of the "bass in voices". Definitely lower than 200hz.

Try something more like 80hz. After that, if you are still getting too much bass in voices, your sub is turned up too loud.

Quote:
Wow chal, thanks man!!!!
Is the emo fairly decent? Wish it had more HDMI. I'd consider it maybe but couple things maybe not.

How would I connect an external eq?

I think I figured out how to control the sound.

You can redirect bass to sub or l/r. So I set it for large front and redirect below 200hz. Helps a bit.

There is an eq button on the remote. It says not calculated. So my guess is that is after you run the room correction.
So, you have not run the room correction built into your processor?? You should try that...all your problems will probably disappear.
post #15 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 200hz limits the bass from voices. I hate hearing bass when people talk. It is much harder to understand them when there's bass under their voice.

Setting the center eq or any eq lower then 200hz makes it worse. Or we're you joking?

If you hear bass in the sub when people talk its cus the freq is low enuf to get into the sub. That's not a good recording in my opinion or just bass heavy voice.

Like I watch formula 1 on TV. David Hobbs and Steve Matchet have deeper voices then Leigh Diffy. I hate hearing bass when they talk. So I have to set the center eq to 200hz and turn off my sub and then it's a bit better.

I am not running the room correction until I get my new unit cus this came with 2 scratches on top. So I had another ordered for me.

The sound is better with not as much bass when people talk after making the above changes I mentioned. Setting front as large and center small and redirect below 200hz to the front and sub. Center channel is better. I turn off sub on stuff I don't care about having it.

I have OCD and this issue I just as I mentioned before hehe.
post #16 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

No, I was not joking.

First - it's not "eq", it's "crossover". You are setting your center speaker crossover to 200hz.

When you hear bass from the sub when people talk, it's because you have your crossover set too high. Those frequencies would not get to the sub if you used a lower crossover.

I'm a diehard F1 fan and have quad subs with my crossover set to 80hz - I have zero issues with the commentators voices.

I can understand why turning off the sub would help with your issue since you have the center crossed over at 200hz.

You should really run the auto-EQ....that, or wait until you get the new unit (and run auto-EQ) before you try to diagnose issues with your system.
post #17 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 200hz limits the bass from voices. I hate hearing bass when people talk. It is much harder to understand them when there's bass under their voice.
You've got it backwards. Setting the crossover lower directs bass to your center speaker, rather than your sub. That will make it better, not worse.

For example (assumes speakers are set to small, which is usually best):
With a 200hz crossover, bass at 150hz goes to the sub.
With a 100hz crossover, bass at 150hz goes to your center.

Last edited by rcohen; 07-29-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #18 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Haha at myself for thinking backwards. I'm not sure tho. In the UI it says it redirects the under 200hz to front and sub. That's what I wanted. To get it out of the center. So now the center doesn't get below 200hz. Also the sub xover is 80hz too. In the UI with eq on sub disabled. This helped a lot.

I'm thinking room correction may help. I was about to run it. But I've had a big issue with the sub on my Arcam being extremely quiet compared to on my integra. Even default speaker settings. 2 channel etc with no rc or anything. The sub is way louder on integra.

Anyway. I turned up the gain on the sub and it got louder but sounded ugly. Different bass sound totally. So I shut off the Arcam. Plugged in sub cable halfway into the sub for a test. I got an ugly bass sound with a loud hum. Two distinct sounds. I know yer not supposed to plug in halfway and I know the sound from doing this. That's why I tested this. The sub eq was disabled. Now I enabled the sub eq and tried the cable halfway again. This gave the correct normal clean deep bass. No seperate hum like when the sub eq was disabled.

So I took a recording of both sounds on my iPod touch. You can clearly hear the real bad hum one. Then the one with normal clean deep bass you can't hear on the iPod touch. My guess is that the iPod speaker is why.

I sent the real loud hum file to svs and will send the other too and see what they think. I mentioned also how there's such a big difference in sub vol and sound between the two receivers.

So I'm not sure what to do now.

Last edited by buggs1a; 07-29-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #19 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
How can I get rid of the bass when people talk in TV and movies? I can't stand it. I don't think you should hear them in the sub. Even when the sub eq is 80hz. I'm not talking about being able to understand voices in the sub. But you still hear the bass when people talk.

I had Integra receiver and set the center eq to 200hz cus the bass when people talk. On my Arcam there's no eq. And I freaking hate hearing bass in the center when people talk.
Simple ................. turn the sub off or attenuate the sub woofer gain or screw with AVR EQ or maybe move the sub
Bass traps /acoustical room treatments can help with room nodes /room gain hard to get rid of it all though.. I think by design our ears are keenly attuned to human voice ,rumbling volcanoes ,lions roar,charging Rhinosaurus etc since B4 the Flintstones ☺☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-29-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #20 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Alan P, rokbyter and basshead81 like this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #21 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a
I sent the real loud hum file to svs and will send the other too and see what they think. I mentioned also how there's such a big difference in sub vol and sound between the two receivers.

So I'm not sure what to do now.
They might tell you the Arcam is broke or not adjusted right ............. they could be right on either eventuality !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #22 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

What in the world are you trying to accomplish by "plugging the sub cable in halfway"? I don't even know what that means.

I'd be willing to bet that the reason your 2 AVRs sound different is because the bass management settings are FUBAR'ed. You really, really need to run the Auto-EQ and then (and only then) come back here with the results!

Here's what you need to do:
1) Run your Auto-EQ
2) Set all speakers to "small"
3) Set all crossovers to 80hz
4) Turn off "double bass" (LFE+Main or whatever it's called on your AVR)
5) Have a listen and report back

It would also be helpful if you would list your equipment (AVR make/model, speakers make/model).
post #23 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alan I've already listed.
I've got the bass from voices much improved. But the other issue ill deal with tomorrow.
post #24 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alan I've already listed.
I've got the bass from voices much improved. But the other issue ill deal with tomorrow.
OK, sorry about that....I see now where you listed your speakers (nice!), but all you say about your AVR is that it's an Arcam, what model specifically??

I know you say you've got it sorted now, but I highly doubt it based on your previous posts.

It just rubs me all wrong to see such a nice system being wasted with something as simple as the wrong bass management settings....but I guess at the end, it's your money going to waste.
post #25 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alan, thanks. I thought I said which Arcam. Doh.

Arcam AVR 380.
I am not done. I'm not going to waste anything. I want to get things right and sometimes I get a bit wonky. But I've gotten the bass from voices much better. It's not done still. Tomorrow ill run room correction. Maybe today but doubt it. I been up loooong time.
post #26 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
2) Set all speakers to "small"
3) Set all crossovers to 80hz
4) Turn off "double bass" (LFE+Main or whatever it's called on your AVR)

+1

You don't want the bass going to both the left/right speakers and your sub.

It may sound nice in some ways, but once you get things set up right, it usually sounds better when the bass only goes to the sub. This is true even for large speakers. The "large" & "small" designations are misleading. The only time you should use "large" is when you don't have a sub.
post #27 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alan, thanks. I thought I said which Arcam. Doh.

Arcam AVR 380.
I am not done. I'm not going to waste anything. I want to get things right and sometimes I get a bit wonky. But I've gotten the bass from voices much better. It's not done still. Tomorrow ill run room correction. Maybe today but doubt it. I been up loooong time.
Again, a very nice piece of equipment....let's not let it go to waste.

Do you have a drawing of your room with speaker & sub placement?
post #28 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have a drawing. How can I do that in windows 7?

I heard back from svs. They said the different vol is normal. Receivers have different pre out voltages. The important thing is to level match the sub with speakers. I knew that last part but nice to have them remind me.

The hum issue they said is ground loop. Maybe. I just was curious why with the sub xover enabled the sound is normal. With the sub xover disabled you hear bass but also a very loud hum/buzz. Remember this is with receiver off and touching one end of the sub cable with my finger while the other end is plugged in. Or plugged in half way. And remember I did that only as a test.
post #29 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

I heard back from svs. They said the different vol is normal. Receivers have different pre out voltages. The important thing is to level match the sub with speakers. I knew that last part but nice to have them remind me.

The hum issue they said is ground loop. Maybe. I just was curious why with the sub xover enabled the sound is normal. With the sub xover disabled you hear bass but also a very loud hum/buzz. Remember this is with receiver off and touching one end of the sub cable with my finger while the other end is plugged in. Or plugged in half way. And remember I did that only as a test.
Seems to my uneducated mind like a ground loop with the the main amps but no ground loop with the sub amp. Since a ground loop is at 60 hz, its at least possible that using the sub eliminates th audibility of the ground loop. If I am nuts somebody will say so.

Although you should expect 60 hz hum when you touch the hot conductor without also contacting the ground. That's why one turns down a guitar amp begore pulling the plug out of the guitar
post #30 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ummm....Paint? Or, you could just take a picture.

Quote:
The important thing is to level match the sub with speakers.
Or, you could just run your AVR's auto-eq program. Do you have an SPL meter??

Quote:
I just was curious why with the sub xover enabled the sound is normal.
Ummm...because that is the normal way to operate a sub.

Quote:
With the sub xover disabled you hear bass but also a very loud hum/buzz.
Because, with the crossover disabled, your sub is getting frequencies it wasn't designed to reproduce. This could possibly be a ground-loop issue, but if it sounds fine with the crossover enabled, no worries.

Quote:
Remember this is with receiver off and touching one end of the sub cable with my finger while the other end is plugged in. Or plugged in half way. And remember I did that only as a test.
Again...why in the world are you doing these things?! And what are you trying to "test"?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page