Cassette deck hookup+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cassette deck hookup+

With these new AV receivers How does one connect a cassette deck(tape in&out)or a VHS player.I do realize that with a turntable other than Onkyo I would have to purchase a separate phono amp to plug in (where though)everything seems to be HDMI,Component.How do I hook up my gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo5 View Post
With these new AV receivers How does one connect a cassette deck(tape in&out)or a VHS player.I do realize that with a turntable other than Onkyo I would have to purchase a separate phono amp to plug in (where though)everything seems to be HDMI,Component.How do I hook up my gear?
At a certain point they need to drop older connections and technology to make room for the new, but there's no lack of receivers on the market that will still take the connections you need. For a cassette deck you'll need analog audio (red and white stereo analog connections), and for a VCR you'll need the same plus a composite video (yellow) connection. If it was a higher end VCR it may have an S-video connection, which is a different (DIN style) connector that gives a slightly better analog video signal.

Still lots of receivers available that take analog connections in addition to digital audio and video - including ones with dedicated turntable inputs.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 832
True, but they don't have recording tape loops. For the OP to hook up a cassette deck for playback will work fine. But for recording, the choices will be quite limited. My old Pioneer VSX 92 can handle it as well as a turntable but those features aren't common at all on modern AVR's. The OP needs to look for analog out in the feature set. I have no idea where to look.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I used zone out as analog out and therefore can specify which source I can record from.