Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI worth it?

Hey All,

I need to upgrade my 12 year old Onkyo TX-SR800 that has 100 W per channel.
My question is should I buy the latest technology with HDMI 2.0 now or get a better quality receiver by buying something 1-2 years old on sale? We use our receiver every day to watch TV and stream movies. We have a 5.1 set up inside and need a powered zone 2 for 2 speakers outside. Music wise, we probably would hook up an apple device to listen to music. Wifi is important to us but will be willing to buy adapter after if getting a good deal on the receiver. Have been looking at Marantz SR7007 for $899 (older but seems like a good deal for the money) and Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 for $849.

This is what I have:
Aperion Audio Intimus Series 522D with 6-8 ohms impedance with 10 inch sub with 200 watts amp power output.
Samsung HP-T5054 (not 3D)
Roku 3 (for streaming movies and music)
Motorola DCH3416 cable box
Xbox for playing DVDs

As you can see, we don't have the latest greatest. I would rather buy quality every 10 years then buy cheap and replace every 5. Any opinions on whether to wait for all 2014 receivers or buy older models would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on what to buy would be helpful as well since it is almost impossible to go to a store and listen to anything except what Best Buy sells. Looking to spend up to 1000.00

Thank You,
Sully

Last edited by sullystyle; Yesterday at 08:01 AM. Reason: updated info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I don't you will have a problem. Even AVR's that are 8 or 9 years old have HDMI. If you don't use a lot of sophisticated features then buy yourself a new but modest model that has the features you want and will use. Any of them will have HDMI.
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I'm managing fine with a non HDMI AV pre. It just means you have to use coaxial/optical to your AVR, rather than HDMI for video & audio switching. You just need a HDMI switch.

For sources with HD Master Audio, you can use the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel input. Having a HDMI system simplifies and cuts down the cables, also if you want 1080p material...

However since I'm more into upper end, replacing it isn't really possible. However for budget, well any £200 AVR has HDMI switching..

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I'm managing fine with a non HDMI AV pre. It just means you have to use coaxial/optical to your AVR, rather than HDMI for video & audio switching. You just need a HDMI switch.

For sources with HD Master Audio, you can use the 5.1/7.1 multi-channel input. Having a HDMI system simplifies and cuts down the cables, also if you want 1080p material...

However since I'm more into upper end, replacing it isn't really possible. However for budget, well any £200 AVR has HDMI switching..
Good idea, but not many sources have analog out-in ports. I ran analog 5.1 until recently when I bout a used avr from a member here, and I love having the ability to use the HDMI for my audio. There is not a huge difference in sound, but it is a bit better with the HDMI. Using an Oppo 103 I play dvd audio and sacd 5.1 music, and I love it!
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
One thing to be careful of, is mixed gear. If you need to mix HDMI and component/analog/SPDIF you need to ensure you get a receiver that can upconvert all component video HDMI and include the audio. My friend has a Wii and the Yamaha RX-375 didn't do the upconversion. He ended up running the Wii to a TV input, and running it's audio to the receiver an annoying solution IMO.

Better to buy a receiver that can seamlessly handle both, if needed

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is HDMI worth it?

Sorry. I didn't mean buying a receiver without HDMI. I meant was it worth buying one with
HDMI 2.0 that are on the 2014 receivers. I believe the Marantz has HDMI 1.4. I definitely want HDMI ports on whatever I will buy.
The only reason I am upgrading is the lack of any HDMI on current receiver.

Sorry for being unclear about what I was asking for.

Thank You,
Sully
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullystyle View Post
Sorry. I didn't mean buying a receiver without HDMI. I meant was it worth buying one with
HDMI 2.0 that are on the 2014 receivers. I believe the Marantz has HDMI 1.4. I definitely want HDMI ports on whatever I will buy.
The only reason I am upgrading is the lack of any HDMI on current receiver.

Sorry for being unclear about what I was asking for.
No matter what feature you wait for in future models will become obselete shortly thereafter. You can operate 4K without HDMI 2 if you decide to go into that in the future. I think it makes sense to have HDMI to simplify your connections and to handle modern decoding protocols but I don't think the version of HDMI is all that important at this thime. I use an 8 year old receiver with HDM! 1.3 and older decoders and I have heard nothing that motivates me to upgrade it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page