Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacing Receiver Compatibility

Hello all,

I have purchased an Onkyo HT-S5300 HTIB back in 2010. The system is great, when it works...I've run into an issue where the receiver won't output video to my TV. Sound works well.

I have a PS4 hooked up using Optical and the PS4 hooks up to the TV for picture using HDMI. I have a lot of components and I'd like to simplify my setup by using the receiver.

I wanted to buy a new AVR that will work with my existing speaker set. Speaker Set in question: HT-S5300

I have a PS4, Xbox 360, Cable Box, Wii U, N64, Roku, and a Chromecast. I also would need 1 extra HDMI port as sometimes I hook my laptop up. I'd like it to upconvert if possible, 4k upconvert isn't a requirement for me at this time.

Do I need to stick with an Onkyo receiver to make sure the speakers work, or can I go with another brand? I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V677...dp_ob_title_ce

I have an HTC Phone and a Spotify sub so this seemed pretty nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Receivers don't know what brand of speakers they're driving; all they see is the resistance load of the speakers. Assuming those speakers have standard connections (which they probably do), you can choose whatever receiver pleases you. Just to be safe, make sure the subwoofer offers a standard input.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia bill View Post
Receivers don't know what brand of speakers they're driving; all they see is the resistance load of the speakers. Assuming those speakers have standard connections (which they probably do), you can choose whatever receiver pleases you. Just to be safe, make sure the subwoofer offers a standard input.
By standard output you mean what? The Onkyo sub just has 1 cable that hooks up to the receiver. I could take a picture of it when I get home today.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Your HTIB AVR seems to have 4 HDMI inputs....more than enough. If you could describe the problem you're having with the HDMI video, maybe we could help you get it working.

That being said, it looks like those speakers & sub will work with any AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page