AVS Forum banner

USB to SPDIF DAC with DTS-MA support?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Worf 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am thinking about doing from my laptop an audio center, but since it is an old device and doesn't have HDMI/SPDIF port I need to buy for him a USB Async DAC.
But I want to play DTS-MA 5.1 files too, so if anyone would be able to give me some suggestions what should I buy? Or first if it is even possible to stream such untouched to AVR.
One more thing is 24/192 support.
Thanks!

#4 ·
Hypothetically, assuming his software is capable of bit-streaming DTS-HD MA, wouldn't it be possible to output that over USB and then use a USB-to-microUSB adaptor followed by a microUSB-to-HDMI (a.k.a. MHL 2.0) adaptor cable? Or would copy protection prevent him from doing so?

#6 ·
There are no USB to MHL adapters. MHL ports are special ports that just happen to fit a microUSB cable.

Now, there are USB display adapters that output to HDMI - they are basically USB connected video cards. They may support audio as well.

There's enough bandwidth to do surround on USB2. The thing is that USB audio class 1 (supported by all OSes) only goes up to 24/96. 24/192 requires special driver support.

Of course, getting a laptop with HDMI out solves a lot of issues...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.