Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-30-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Zone 2 Newb Question

Hey All.

I'm finishing my basement with a central AV closet to feed a primary theater/family room, exercise room and video game area for the kids. All are connected with HDMI/Redmere in hope of using the multi-zone features in these fancy AVRs to handle the source switching.

I recognize that two of the three rooms will need to watch the same thing, but it's rare that all three rooms would be in use at the same time. I'll use a secondary splitter to share the Zone 2 with the other two rooms.

My question is:Can these multi-zone AVRs split HDMI sources to the two rooms without cutting sound to some of my speakers in the main room? Most of the diagrams from the manufacturers show losing main room speakers when Zone 2 is enabled. I'm only planning on using HDMI, not speaker or pre-amp connections to the other room.

BTW, my theater room is wired for 9.2.

I'm considering receivers such as the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 or the equivalent Denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
A Zone 2 HDMI output can pass an independent HDMI source to Zone 2 without impacting the main zone; however, if the Zone 2 output is only connected to a TV using the TV's speakers which cannot accept a DD 5.1 signal, when the same source is played to both zones, the main zone would be down mixed to stereo to accommodate the stereo only limitation of the Zone 2 TV.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks JD. I think that makes sense.

My Zone 2 will typically just be a regular HDMI enabled flat screen TV. I didn't realize that the AVR would be aware of the capabilities of the destination, but it sounds like it must communicate that information back for appropriate mixing. I figured the AVR just dumped the signal and left it to the TV to deal with, but I guess that's the world of digital.

It sounds like I'll be fine as long as Zone 1 and Zone 2 are always watching separate content.

One follow-up question: I did run another HDMI up to my other family room AVR which supports DD 5.1 via HDMI in the thought that in the future I may want to spread a large group across both living areas watching the same movie. Would I be okay in that case to run my 9.2 in the theater and 5.1 in the family room from the same source at the same time? I'm hoping my other receiver would take it as a signal just like any other HDMI input right?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Yes.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page