My SR6005 Bit The Dust - Helping Choosing Next Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My SR6005 Bit The Dust - Helping Choosing Next Receiver

Okay so my Marantz SR-6005 bit the dust =( I've been doing research trying to decide what receiver to get now. I will likely get one of last years receivers as I will get a hefty discount through a hook-up.
Budget: $1600
70% movie/tv 30% music

My setup is currently (4) Motion 10s, Motion 8 center, and a dynamo 700. I will eventually move to 7.1 and probably get Motion 40s for the front and use the 10s as surrounds and surround backs.

Denon x4000
I considered the x4000 because it's packed with features but I have concerns with them. Out of all the times I've demo'd them, I just haven't been as impressed as I am with other receivers. I can admit that it could be placebo as I never cared for Denon much. Stores also don't calibrate them either but to me, other receivers just seemed to have beefier amps.

Marantz 6008/7007
I love Marantz as a company and have had good experiences with them. Only thing is that I kind of wanted a bit more power than my 6005 had. For this reason I'm considering the sr7007.

Pioneer Elite sc-72/75
This became a front runner for me. I worked a bit with class D amps for school and loved their efficiency. Research on the sc-72/75 seemed to agree with my past experiences with them (In school, I've never owned a class D amp so I haven't heard them on any speakers outside of store demos).

Thoughts?

Last edited by LightsOut23; 07-31-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-31-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have the Pioneer SC-1523-K, which is the same as the SC-75 (it's the consumer branded product sold through mass market, vs the "Elite" brand sold through dealers...they're essentially the same product, though). I love it. Plenty of power with a good mix of features. And the great benefit (to me) of class D is that it runs COOL. It was on sale ridiculously low on Amazon a while back. It's still a good deal compared to the SC-75, but it may drop back down again at some point.

As for Denon vs Marantz...they're both owned by the same parent company, if that makes any difference. I've never owned a Denon, but they are well respected. I've owned a Marantz (way back when) and always liked it.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those listed...

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #3 of 3 Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
I have the Pioneer SC-1523-K, which is the same as the SC-75 (it's the consumer branded product sold through mass market, vs the "Elite" brand sold through dealers...they're essentially the same product, though). I love it. Plenty of power with a good mix of features. And the great benefit (to me) of class D is that it runs COOL. It was on sale ridiculously low on Amazon a while back. It's still a good deal compared to the SC-75, but it may drop back down again at some point.

As for Denon vs Marantz...they're both owned by the same parent company, if that makes any difference. I've never owned a Denon, but they are well respected. I've owned a Marantz (way back when) and always liked it.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those listed...
I hear that, I find Pioneer's offerings intriguing with their class D amps so I do want to try them. I'm just not sure as I did love my Marantz and I'm wondering if I'm counting out the Denon too easily.

As for Denon and Marantz, I know they're both owned by D&M Holdings but I believe they have still remained separate entities. As in they share a lot but I believe their development and engineering is kept separate to a certain degree. From what I see, Denon boasts receivers packed with features at a lower price; essentially more bang for your buck. I expect much of the circuitry to be the same but I believe Marantz uses some higher quality parts along with those features; for a premium of course.

Last edited by LightsOut23; 07-31-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page