Pioneer SC-79 vs Yamaha A3030 - Aug 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pioneer SC-79 vs Yamaha A3030 - Aug 2014

Let me start by saying I've been reading this forum nonstop, and the community great! I really value everyone's input on the following.

I am shopping for a receiver that can power a home theater setup with 4ohm speakers. I definitely want to start with a flagship model and these are the best deals I could find.

Yamaha A3030 - $1499, new and authorized
Pioneer SC-79 - $1499, new and authorized

I've always been a Yamaha fan with the low end / cheap stuff...but I'm leaning towards the Pioneer this time because of the 4ohm speaker set up. I'll prob buy a 5ch amp in the future but I still need something for right now. It's a really tough decision for me because they both seem so good!

What do you guys think about the prices considering the new models are just around the corner? Which receiver would you pick for movies, video games, and casual music (not audiophile sacd stuff)? My HT room is basically where I will be living....lol. it must do everything!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 103
If you don't need all the bells and whistles, take a look at Anthem's MRX line. The 510 can be had in this price range and its sound quality is excellent due to Anthem's ARC. I wouldn't go too crazy though with 4 ohm speakers until you can get an amp. If you're using a 5.1 setup, the a 310 along with an Emotiva amp will do nicely and also give you the option to bi-amp. What speakers do you have?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
If, on the other hand, you do want bells and whistles go for the Yammy and don't look back (besides their units are extremely reliable). I have the 3030 and love all the DSP's, and they are really useful. I am coming from a Pioneer SC-25 that was very powerful but not nearly as smooth and articulate. The Pioneer SC-79 would run those 4ohm speakers and you might want to also look at the Denon 4520 which should be in the same price ballpark now.
If you are at all concerned about the 3030 handling 4 ohm speakers check out this link;

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

In my set-up I have the 3030 running 11.1 with 8 of the 9 internal amps running the surrounds and presence speakers while I have a separate running the front 3 and a second zone. Got mine from Brandsmart for $1299 here in FL but don't know if they have anymore.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so far.

I am very seriously considering the Anthem MRX because the ARC sounds really fantastic.... and i have a untreated rectangular room which i hear is bad ? hehe... basically I need all the help I can get, so ARC sounds great. But will the Anthem run 4ohms at medium (-20) levels until I can save up for my amp?

Last edited by philhippo; 07-31-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added in thanks
post #5 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Medium should be fine. I would just avoid music modes like All Channel Stereo which really tax an amp section.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Wait about a month and buy a Pioneer SC-87; you'll have Pio's improved room correction, plenty of power and a unit that is Atmos ready. No way I would invest in a receiver right now without this option based on those who have reported about Atmos after hearing demos. Don't discount MCAAC - read up on Pio's approach to phase correction which is very important for a seamless sound stage, for hi-res no down sampling like other RCs. Plus Air Studios cert. This is also the first year Pio is offering the ability to EQ your sub, you will be able to EQ two independently.

Don't let forum members push you so quickly to what they think is best. ARC is solid, but if it Anthem was so great you'd see a lot more of us owning one. I would also check out what Yamaha is releasing this year, their units should have or be Atmos ready too. There are a number of receivers that will handle your speakers without the need for buying an amp, no need to go there unless you want to drive more than 9 channels.

By the way I own a Denon.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, thanks for the advice so far everyone! Looking into Atmos....I just keep falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole!
post #8 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Don't let forum members push you so quickly to what they think is best.
Just like you're doing regarding Atmos . I've heard Atmos and didn't think it was anything particularly special; I personally feel 5.1 is still plenty. OP should pick up a couple units and compare them in his listening space and decide for himself which he prefers. I like the new Yamaha line myself.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
Just like you're doing regarding Atmos . I've heard Atmos and didn't think it was anything particularly special; I personally feel 5.1 is still plenty. OP should pick up a couple units and compare them in his listening space and decide for himself which he prefers. I like the new Yamaha line myself.
Since there are only a handful of forum members out of thousands who have heard Atmos please share the details on the Atmos thread. Home and theatre are two different things/technologies so please don't try to compare one to the other.

What he gets I could care less and if you noticed I didn't even recommend what I currently own despite how much I like it. All that counts is that they are happy with it. Way too many times forum members rush to say buy mine - guess that makes them feel better - without considering the OPs original question, budget and THEIR equipment preference.

To not point out Atmos to anyone buying a receiver given what has been said by those that have attended the 4 demos that have been held world-wide based on other members posts - is just ignorant. Not saying to buy it, but one should definitely consider if it's something they may want in a year or two.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
What he gets I could care less and if you noticed I didn't even recommend what I currently own despite how much I like it. All that counts is that they are happy with it. Way too many times forum members rush to say buy mine - guess that makes them feel better - without considering the OPs original question, budget and THEIR equipment preference.
Although you didn't directly lump me into this category, your post suggests it. I've recommended pretty much every brand of receivers over the years, same holds true for speakers and subs. And keep words like "ignorant" to yourself; we all have different priorities. I gave the best advice possible which was to go and get a few different units to compare for oneself. I didn't shove Anthem in OP's face; I made a suggestion same as you recommending the Pioneer.

Last edited by rnatalli; 08-02-2014 at 11:30 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All, Thanks again for everyone's opinions. It was a short thread and I read every comment and took them to heart.

My old Yamaha was overheating so I needed to replace it sooner, rather than later. I had already made up my mind that I was ready for a major upgrade this time! I read up on Atmos and decided that it, and all the other bells & whistles, was not all that important to me. Someone else had mentioned that any of the flagship AVRs should be able to power my 4ohms, moderately and for the time being.. so I tried not to worry about power as I made my selection.

I demo'd a Denon, a Pioneer, listened to a couple other brands...and honestly at this price range they all sound good! ...but they all still retained certain characteristics in the way they reproduce sound... The Denon sounded flat to me (they always have, i don't know why!), the Pioneer was lively and dynamic, but too much so for music... I thought it lacked warmth....The other brands were just too pricey or too unknown to me to consider. I know I like how Yamaha sounds, but I think it was time to branch out and try something new.

My last stop was the Anthem dealer. The demo set up in the store happen to be a mrx510 powering 4ohm speakers....check! The sound, omg I love the way it sounds! I mean, the store is probably set up as good as it gets...but there were so many things that just sounded right, and natural, and good! I took it home! (actually i took a MRX 710 home)

So my last curiosity was ARC.... I've heard incredible claims so of course I listened to it both before and after ARC. Before ARC, it was like my old Yamaha on steroids... similar sound but much more detail and power! That was expected since this is a much more expensive and powerful AVR.
After ARC is where the magic really happened! I mean, like I said, I liked how everything sounded before, but ARC seemed to have pulled it all together in a way that YPAO never did. My front, center, and right now sounds like a wide seamless stage instead of its individual components! And talking about seamless...The crossovers from speakers to subs are invisible! It also leveled out the lows, the mids, and the highs so that nothing sounded overpowered, or underpowered (you know what i mean?). Full auto ARC made magic of the "mashup of components" that is my home theater! Manual mode awaits for the day when I attain enough knowledge to use it properly!

TLDR;? I am now a believer in ARC....The MRX 710 sounds good (great?) on its own...but so do a LOT of receivers in the $2k-$3k range. What amazed me is that ARC will take your existing home theater, with all its faults, and optimize it to be the best that it can be! Thanks for reading, and I hope that my rant can be of use to somebody out there!

Last edited by philhippo; 08-03-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: readability
post #12 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the purchase! Be sure to download the newest firmware (1.2.1) and version of ARC (1.0.1.7 ) from Anthem's site. There's also a thread here where Anthem reps frequent so if you need help with ARC or otherwise, be sure to visit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , RX-A3030 , SC-79 , Yamaha
Gear in this thread - SC-79 by PriceGrabber.com