AVS Forum banner

Problem with Pioneer SC-77

408 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dustwvl 
#1 ·
I am having an intermittent issue with my 4 month old receiver. It looks like I am going to need to take it to the repair shop but it sucks because the problem is very intermittent. Every once in awhile it will just start restarting. It does not seem like it is shutting off you will just hear a click and then it will say on the display it says power on ( I lose video on the TV during this time) then I will get video again for a second or two and it will do the same thing. It just repeats this over and over unless I either hold the power button on the receiver down or pull the plug. The first few times if I unplugged it the problem stopped but the last time once I plugged it back in it just kept doing it. This last time I unhooked everything - all HDMI, speaker cables etc and it was still doing it. I left it off but plugged in for a day and then turned it on still with nothing attached and it stayed on fine for hours. I have no idea. Anyone have any ideas? Best Buy will not exchange it, they we need to go through Pioneer and Pioneer wants me to take it to the service center. My fear is I will get it there and it will not do it while it is there. Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Matt

#2 ·
If the AVR stayed on continuously with no speaker cables connected, this indicates a short @ rear AVR speaker out terminals or input to the speaker terminals or short in the spekaer wire run or an internal short in 1 of your loudspeakers... The only way to find it to reconnect each loudspeaker 1 @ a time looking for 1 to trigger the protection circuit. Then U need to check the wire @ each end, as any little bare wire strand shorted will trigger the protection circuit.

Just my $0.03.. ;)

#3 ·
I will try that. I do not think it is the speakers only because the last time I had it happen I did try disconnecting everything and it was still happening. After I let it sit for a day and then turned it back on with nothing connected it stayed on. It is just strange because it does not seem to be going into shut down it seems like it just keeps restarting. It reminds me of a computer set up to restart after a power outage only much faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.