AVS Forum banner

Analog output for zone 2 help needed

615 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  afrogt 
#1 ·
It seems that many others have had similar questions but I can't find an answer for my question. So I know, but don't necessarily understand why, that most mid level receivers can only output analog sound sources for the powered zone 2. ( The receiver I am looking at is the onkyo 737). I have two questions to this.

1. Why is this the case? Does it require a lot of extra technology to output from a digital source that is only included in really high and receivers?

2. Does this have an impact on sound quality? If all variables were equal would you be able to tell the difference between a digital output from zone 1 and an analog output from his own 2?

I haven't had any luck with any sales person that can answer my questions and I haven't had luck looking online. Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Yeah, it's kind of befuddling. Only the newer more
Higher end AVR's can out put digital to zone 2. Also,
You have to really check if some higher end models
Support this feature. Some don't.

No real impact on sound quality in my opinion.

I use the zone 2 analog functions to play 2 channel on
My patio. I have Directv HD receiver. I send HDMI to
The AVR for my 5.1 system and use the analog out to
Run the patio speakers. Use the same configuration for
My DVD player.

#3 ·
It seems that many others have had similar questions but I can't find an answer for my question. So I know, but don't necessarily understand why, that most mid level receivers can only output analog sound sources for the powered zone 2. ( The receiver I am looking at is the onkyo 737). I have two questions to this.

1. Why is this the case? Does it require a lot of extra technology to output from a digital source that is only included in really high and receivers?
A couple of issues, the 1st is cost if U want to decode Dolby and/or DTS a DSP is required. Also with more DSP modes available for Zone II now the listener needs some type of display for indicating the DSP mode..

2. Does this have an impact on sound quality? If all variables were equal would you be able to tell the difference between a digital output from zone 1 and an analog output from his own 2?
I haven't had any luck with any sales person that can answer my questions and I haven't had luck looking online. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sound quality can be good for either a digital or an analog source. Everything being equal a digital source such as CD has higher sonic performance capability. But keep in mind, for Zone 1 typically one is using a 5.1 speaker system with a subwoofer. For Zone II usually smaller speakers without a subwoofer are used so it will have less performance capability.

Just my $0.03... ;)

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm updating my older receiver that had Speaker A and B switch. I had 5.1 downstairs and used B channel for up stairs living area. Channel B played all the inputs, hdmi and fiber optic. I listen to the channel B speakers more often and they sound great, bookshelves and a sub. I just am not sure that if I go from listening to a digital source to an analog source on B channel if that will be a step down in sound quality, definitely don't want that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.