Marantz NR1605 or SR5008 to replace an old Yamaha? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
nph

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Marantz NR1605 or SR5008 to replace an old Yamaha?

First I apologize if I am breaking any rule by posting this twice.

I have an 11 year old Yamaha V773 which at the time I was blown away with when I listened to it.
It still sounds good but no longer give me that "wow" feeling. Also it has no HDMI, Airplay etc so I have an AppleTV hooked up to it instead.

Lately I have been looking at either replacing it with another Yamaha A740 with wifi that just came out or the NR1605 from Marantz. I really want a powered Zone 2 and both come with that but the Marantz only gives 50W/channel and today I believe I have 85 so that is a concern. I went to Magnolia and listened to the Marantz SR 5008 (which they later sold the last one) and the voice and music just sounded fantastic, it was like the person singing was in the room in front of me.
It is starting to become available online at a discount now that 5009 with wifi is coming out.

So would you say I would get an improvement in sound compared to my 11 year old Yamaha?
I am also torn between the 3 models above but getting the 5008 on closeout feels like a better deal than the NR 1605.
Btw, I have only Focal (JMLab) speakers, floor standing Cobalt 816 and SR800 surround and a Chorus 800V center speaker.

Btw, does the Marantz have "scenes" like the Yamaha, i e "concert hall", "jazz club" etc?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Get the Marantz 5008. Better amp section and power supply than the slimline NR1605. I see no reason to get the 1605 unless you have space concerns.

In the past the Marantz had simulated modes like Rock Arena, Jazz Club, Matrix etc. But looking thru the manual it doesn't mention them.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...2SR5008_DL.PDF

I have them on my Denon but don't like the way they sound so never use them. Sounds hollow with reverbs and echoes. Nasty.

When you go to the store to listen to the 5008, just hold down the music button on the remote and see what options for sound show up.

Yamaha has always been known for the extra DSP's. Maybe they're better on the Yamaha but that wouldn't be a selling point for me. I had a Yamaha receiver about 10 years ago and never liked those DSP's.

Dolby Digital, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-MA, PLII, Neo:6, Stereo and Multichannel stereo are all I need.

If you want all those DSP's then maybe look at the Yamaha RX-A1030 which has been on sale for $699
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1...30.html?tp=179

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 08-02-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Is that the price they are selling at crutchfield? For me it says to call. That's a good price for the features that thing offers, and it's on my list of receivers I'm looking at.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page