Connecting active speakers to pre-outs AND... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Connecting active speakers to pre-outs AND...

I have an Anthem MRX 710 receiver and I wanted to see how my studio monitor speakers (Adam Audio F7) sounded on this receiver. Can I hook them up to the pre-outs and leave my current speakers hooked up to the receiver's amp without causing damage? And is there a way to mute the current speakers hooked up to the receiver's amp so I can just hear my Adam Audio F7s? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Sounds like you DO want to disconnect the current speakers. You don't have to fully disconnect the wiring. Just disconnect any single connection, and carefully push it out of the way. You could even put some tape on it, to assure it won't touch anything to create a short - shorts are bad.

I know of no other way to mute the other speakers and use your pre outs to connect to powered speakers.

Also, I have seen in Yamaha manuals that they tell you to not connect speakers to any channel you are using the pre out for. I can't think of anything bad that could happen, and people do something similar when hooking up two subwoofers via a Y cable, but that's what it says.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Yes. You can connect the powered speakers without any potential harm, although no way to mute volume to one set without disconnecting the speaker wire as Michael suggests.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
Sounds like you DO want to disconnect the current speakers. You don't have to fully disconnect the wiring. Just disconnect any single connection, and carefully push it out of the way. You could even put some tape on it, to assure it won't touch anything to create a short - shorts are bad.

I know of no other way to mute the other speakers and use your pre outs to connect to powered speakers.

Also, I have seen in Yamaha manuals that they tell you to not connect speakers to any channel you are using the pre out for. I can't think of anything bad that could happen, and people do something similar when hooking up two subwoofers via a Y cable, but that's what it says.
This note is only referring to connecting the speaker posts and pre-outs to the "same" speaker. The OP wants to use separate speakers. In fact some forum members have used the speaker posts for a main zone home theater 5.1 setup and then connect the 5.1 pre-outs to another amp in another room for an identical surround sound setup.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-03-2014 at 03:03 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sounds like I should just disconnect and hook up one set of speakers at a time. Thanks for the info and tips!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
This note is only referring to connecting the speaker posts and pre-outs to the "same" speaker. The OP wants to use separate speakers. If fact some forum members have used the speaker posts for a main zone home theater 5.1 setup and then connect the 5.1 pre-outs to another amp in another room for an identical surround sound setup.
Ah, you might be right. Will look at that sometime

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 03:04 PM
585-645-1006

Yup ... same note is in Denon and Marantz manuals as well, not to mention I confirmed it with Yamaha some years ago.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page