Safe ambient temperature - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Safe ambient temperature

I am about to replace an old Onkyo with a newer one and would like to know if overheating may be an issue. I currently have a 120v (65cfm) fan on one side and a filtered opening on the other. Although I have had no issues to date, it still gets warm (80 to 85f ) inside the cabinet. I wanted to know if that is a safe ambient temp for the Onkyo 3010. I have searched the manual and found only that I should not operate the unit in direct sunlight... no s**t... After reading about the Onkyo HDMI issues possibly being related to over heating I just wanted to see if any of you had some advice on what an acceptable cabinet temp should be.

I have heard of people running them without the cover or even placing usb laptop fans under and over... The best option would be to place it outside the cabinet but the wife will have none of that business...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 116
80 TO 85F does not seem very hot. I would be very disappointed if a piece of electronics failed running at that temp. The chips could be hotter though, not sure you tell without taking off the cover and pointing an IR thermometer at the chips assuming it's that simple and the boards in question are not buried.

People regularly run high end graphics cards at temps over 90F, well at least I do because one of my two cards always runs hotter being somewhat blocked in by the other

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Standard commercial IC range is 0 to 70 degC, or 32 to 158 degF. That would be at the chip, not ambient inside or outside the box. IME 40 degC = 104 degF is what is typically specified as an reasonable upper limit for ambient air in the room or around a commercial-grade electronic component (AVR, graphics card, etc.). So, while you are getting up there, it should still be OK.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page